[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

Anyone can identify the OEM and platform of these 2 PSUs?

500W Bronze non modular:

Spoiler

500w4.jpg.9960cfcb5c66cf0c645795aea7623bb9.jpg500w.jpg.02aa154ac592f54ac44f015338d55758.jpg500w3.thumb.jpg.614e1af98fe7651047b8814ccf71dbf5.jpg500w2.jpg.37c7da520db66949e3411e2ddd331e5d.jpg

750W Gold modular:

Spoiler

750w.thumb.jpg.e95c90c045dbd77b1b335d73c78c322a.jpg750w2.thumb.jpg.82322cd8a1d40d49a9d0bffd7d9942a5.jpg750w3.thumb.jpg.0b8707f9552e7d41e3ae67d277f26542.jpg

From Illegear prebuilt PCs

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

7 minutes ago, genexis_x said:

Anyone can identify the OEM and platform of these 2 PSUs?

No idea, something rather noname probably.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

38 minutes ago, Juular said:

No idea, something rather noname probably.

looks like this?

PMG750 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified PSU - Rosewill

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

2 hours ago, genexis_x said:

Any info on this?

Nope.

Managed to snag some pics, and review of the new FSP GSM Lite PRO, is this any close to the non-Lite model ? If previously, this or some other information got it placed already in it's current tier, I apologize for bringing it up again, thanks upfront regardless.

The first 3 images are from the website link and youtube link of the 550w unit, while the other 3 are from the other youtube link and a 750w unit. 

https://root-nation.com/ru/pc/hardware/ru-fsp-hydro-gsm-lite-pro-550w-review/

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

gsm lite pro full interior - Copy.png

main cap - Copy.png

1676028303_upperleftnearATXcables-Copy.png

47 minutes ago, Dogzilla07 said:

Managed to snag some pics, and review of the new FSP GSM Lite PRO, is this any close to the non-Lite model ? If previously, this or some other information got it placed already in it's current tier, I apologize for bringing it up again, thanks upfront regardless.

The first 3 images are from the website link and youtube link of the 550w unit, while the other 3 are from the other youtube link and a 750w unit. 

https://root-nation.com/ru/pc/hardware/ru-fsp-hydro-gsm-lite-pro-550w-review/

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

gsm lite pro full interior - Copy.png

main cap - Copy.png

1676028303_upperleftnearATXcables-Copy.png

Unfortunately, this is not enough to tell anything 😞

@Dogzilla07At a first glance it looks pretty much identical to non-Lite version, but it may be different in components choice, not idea what FSP is doing. I wish there were any actual proper reviews on these, or the most of other FSP PSUs for that matter. It almost looks like they've hired EVGA's marketing team with all these nonsensical model names and a complete lack of reviews on anything but flagman series.

11 minutes ago, Juular said:

It almost looks like they've hired EVGA's marketing team with all these nonsensical model names and a complete lack of reviews on anything but flagman series.

Considering that FSP hasn't sent out reviews of entry-level units, it's probably the opposite😄😄😄

Edit: Is there a proper review of Hexa 85+?

Edited by IIIIIIIIII

@JuularCool, that would make it possibly pretty good, (if it's just a rebrand of the non-LIte with different components/fan).

But yeah it's weird the old non-Lite had the same Rubycon cap as the 750w lite here, but then the 550w lite has a nippon Chemicon, I wonder If it's inability to source components due to shortages, or early samples or something. The fan is different from the Qasar review of the non-Lite

@IIIIIIIIII Was afraid it wasn't detailed enough, IDK why those 2 russians only took pictures/wrote out 4 out 15 components. As for the Hexa At the top of my head I'm pretty sure I read a proper review of the old Hexa 85+ (but it was long ago), and that it was really good except the fan/fan profile, and that all the new cheap stuff after it was basically the same platform at various stages of cut-down from it, to saturate the market and cover all price points EVGA style. 

Was the GSM PRO (non-Lite) a different platform than the Hexa 85+ or just rework/upgrade to 2.52 ATX spec ?

Oh lawd, another one came out in the last few days xD, HV Pro 85+ , that's on top of the Hydro M Pro and Hydro K Pro from the past 4 months, ...

On 10/23/2019 at 10:45 PM, LukeSavenije said:

Corsair | VS 2012 [orange-label]

Damn, didn't knew my PSU is that bad
Bought it in Aug-2017, working fine till now
But 2 of my friends who bought it later and got the gray label unit, their units are now causing issues.
One straight up fails to boot, case fans light up for 1 sec before shutting off.
So I was on the search for some new budget PSUs (in India fyi), almost decided with:

Cooler Master MWE 450/550 BRONZE – V2 230V SMPS MPE-4501-ACABW-BIN

Link for above PSU

But someone told me to look at this list and now I am a bit worried about my own system and confused about what to recommend to my friends. 

Any help and suggestions would be appreciated 

Edited by FanGuy
adding 550W

2 hours ago, Dogzilla07 said:

Cool, that would make it possibly pretty good,

Not really, as there are no proper reviews on non-Lite one either. Not even a teardown.

On 8/30/2021 at 11:11 PM, genexis_x said:

problem is i see more and more mid range PCs (bundle of course) are pair with these cheap PSUs, at least in my country

A lot of retailers or system integrators simply doesn't know the importance of good PSUs, or they simply assume PSU quality is based on meaningless metrics like efficiency and low RMA rates 😛 

...or they may be trying to get those excess stocks out quickly so bundling them with other parts is a quick way to do so (the infamous Gigabyte P-GM is a good example).

34 minutes ago, doubleflower said:

A lot of retailers or system integrators simply doesn't know the importance of good PSUs, or they simply assume PSU quality is based on meaningless metrics like efficiency and low RMA rates 😛 

...or they may be trying to get those excess stocks out quickly so bundling them with other parts is a quick way to do so (the infamous Gigabyte P-GM is a good example).

More like the latter, they're putting in what they have to move, and if it doesn't result in prebuilds failing within warranty period then it's a win.

so official answer from Seasonic is this specific model doesn't suffer from that issue as far they know. @Juular @jonnyGURU   did you guys also test the gx/px/tx (oneseasonic models) ? my rtx 3070 ti will arrive soon so i will test it, it has about the same tdp

(290 vs 320) as an rtx 3080 10g

seasonic 2.png

seasonic 1.png

26 minutes ago, seasoniclover said:

so official answer from Seasonic is this specific model doesn't suffer from that issue as far they know.

Of course they would say that. Jon did test Prime TX as it was his job, Corsair AX Titanium is the same thing, but i'm still not sure about Prime GX/PX but i'd assume they're affected too, at least =>850W models as <=750W are based on Focus platform. But as we already said - just try it, if it wouldn't work - then think about it's replacement, or contact Seasonic.

30 minutes ago, Juular said:

Of course they would say that. 

ikr. what i don't understand is if you're talking about the 2018 and earlier revisions or the post-2019 revisions which are the oneseasonic ones(which were made after 2019)

11 minutes ago, seasoniclover said:

ikr. what i don't understand is if you're talking about the 2018 and earlier revisions or the post-2019 revisions which are the oneseasonic ones(which were made after 2019)

See, there were problems with Focus and AMD Vegas in 2017 shortly after the release of Focus. Seasonic have fixed that in 2018 revision of it, and then rebranded all their lineups with the new naming, so OneSeasonic (GX/PX/TX stuff) is post fix a priori. Prime didn't have problems with AMD Vegas AFAIK, but after Ampere release it became clear that they have problems with RTX3080/3090, and until some people say that it is some rare issue - this was confirmed by Jon who has worked with the actual OEM because Corsair has just the thing with their own label on it. So if we're talking about Prime x Ampere issues it doesn't matter if it's OneSeasonic, post or pre 2018 or not. All that is even further complicated by Seasonic's decision to sell Focus GX/PX rebranded as Prime GX/PX on sub 850W models of it, so these models shouldn't be affected, that's probably why some people say that their Primes are working with Ampere just fine, these units aren't actual Primes.

Seasonic | Focus [OneSeasonic refreshes] GX / GM / PX / SGX - Prime [8] GX (<=750W / =>1000W) / (Ultra) Gold =>1000W / PX =>1000W / (Ultra) Platinum =>1000W / TX =>1000W / (Ultra) Titanium =>1000W / PRIME Snow Silent Gold [550W] - Connect

[8] Seasonic PRIME based units experience shutdowns with RTX3080/3090 (and possibly RX6900 XT) GPUs, especially ones with unlocked power limit like FE and ASUS Strix. It is recommended, if going with such units, to overprovision wattage, 1kW for RTX3080 and 1.2kW for RTX3090, or power-limit the GPU, or performing a 'dirty' fix of disconnecting a pin of 12V V-sense wire from PSU-side connector of 24-pin motherboard cable (courtesy of Jonny Guru). Units based on post-2018 revisions of Seasonic Focus platform and majority of units by other OEMs are not affected.

---

Would the  Seasonic PRIME PX-1000 be safe for a RTX 3090 then?

1 hour ago, erek said:

Would the  Seasonic PRIME PX-1000 be safe for a RTX 3090 then?

Uh, can't say for sure, depends on the SKU probably, i would recommend looking for a different unit anyway. But if you already have it then try it out, if it doesn't work out then ask Seasonic to send you 'fixed' cables (without 12V-sense i assume) or just disconnect it yourself.