[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

On 12/15/2021 at 12:53 PM, Juular said:

AX/AX-i series are supposed to be high-end 80+ Titanium. But while AX-i is indeed good albeit very expensive, AX ended up being worse than HX aside for efficiency because Seasonic couldn't or didn't want to customize their platform for Corsair demands, so it's just stock Prime TX. But it's now discontinued anyway so it doesn't matter.

HX/HX-i is 80+ Platinum. The only difference is iCUE / monitoring capability. And this series is not only practically the best of Corsair current offerings (disregarding 500$ AX1600i) but ones of the best PSUs overall.

RM/RM-x/RM-i are 80+ Gold fully-modular. RM has cheaper capacitors and no in-cable caps, both fine, especially if it's cheaper than RM-x. RM-i has iCUE.

TX-m are 80+ Gold semi-modular. Old, 2017' version was a bit loud, new 2021' version is fine.

CX/CX-m/CX-F series are the real mess tho. CX is better than CX-m electrically aside for modularity. And Corsair for some reason decided to make CX-F RGB which didn't sell, so they've discontinued it now. CX is apparently discontinued too.

CV is another weird series, sub 650W are group regulated, kinda refreshed / slightly improved version of VS, i.e not something you really should use with builds using a dedicated GPU. But 650/750W versions are better, kinda like CX-m but non-modular.

Then there are also different revisions of CX-m, TX-m, RM and RM-x but they're overall close to each other performance/quality wise so it doesn't really matter much.

Anyway, in most cases you look either for CV 650W, CX-F (while still available), TX-m, RM, RM-x or HX.

That is awesome thank you! I understand their product lineup a lot better now. Do you think the inline capacitors on the Corsair cables gives their PSU's any advantage over others, or is it just a gimmick?

On 10/23/2019 at 12:15 PM, LukeSavenije said:

Seasonic | Focus [OneSeasonic refreshes] GX / GM / PX / SGX - Prime [8] GX (<=750W / =>1000W) / (Ultra) Gold =>1000W / PX =>1000W / (Ultra) Platinum =>1000W / TX =>1000W / (Ultra) Titanium =>1000W / PRIME Snow Silent Gold [550W] - Connect

...and for [8]

On 10/23/2019 at 12:15 PM, LukeSavenije said:

[8] Seasonic PRIME based units experience shutdowns with RTX3080/3090 (and possibly RX6900 XT) GPUs, especially ones with unlocked power limit like FE and ASUS Strix. It is recommended, if going with such units, to overprovision wattage, 1kW for RTX3080 and 1.2kW for RTX3090, or power-limit the GPU, or performing a 'dirty' fix of disconnecting a pin of 12V V-sense wire from PSU-side connector of 24-pin motherboard cable (courtesy of Jonny Guru). Units based on post-2018 revisions of Seasonic Focus platform and majority of units by other OEMs are not affected.

Since this was written in Oct. 2019, and it is now Dec 2021, would the Seasonic PRIME based units still be experiencing shutdowns?

21 minutes ago, Geo007 said:

Since this was written in Oct. 2019

RTX 30x0 and RX 6xxx weren't available in Oct '19. The issues occured since launch of that cards in Sept '20

23 minutes ago, Geo007 said:

would the Seasonic PRIME based units still be experiencing shutdowns?

Nothing has proven otherwise.

Has the HXi series been discontinued? I cant seem to find it on Corsair's website, only the HX series. The only version of the HXi i can find for sale is the 1200w model.

On 12/11/2021 at 8:08 PM, Juular said:

It's an old SKU, EoL and out of production for some time so i suspect that they're actually selling Focus GM but who knows. In any case, as long as there's a full warranty on it, 40CAD is definitely a steal.

I got it today, and you were 100% right.  I got a Focus GM-550.  Pretty hard to beat for $40 Canadian.

23 hours ago, Nozyspy said:

Has the HXi series been discontinued? I cant seem to find it on Corsair's website, only the HX series. The only version of the HXi i can find for sale is the 1200w model.

On 12/20/2021 at 9:46 PM, --SID-- said:

Hmmm interesting. Corsair's own website no longer lists the HXi though? :S

Asus rog strix shouldn't be on a tier. My "850w" unit shuts down under like 650-700w power draw. Runs quiet but it's a bummer that I can't get full power from it. Since return or refund is kinda bs in my country I decided to keep it and only running a 3070 and a 3060 at around 120-140w each on it. Also it comes with less pcie cables than there is pcie slots on the unit. Classic overpriced cable selling move that happens with every single manufacturer...

39 minutes ago, Dogzilla07 said:

Raijintek Ermis New SFX (80mm fan), 550/450W PSUs from Raijintek, on the cybenetics pics left is 550W, right is 450W

Looks cheap. And double forward, so no higher than tier C. I'd wait at least for Cyben to publish a report tho.

12 minutes ago, serhatr said:

Asus rog strix shouldn't be on a tier. My "850w" unit shuts down under like 650-700w power draw.

With these RTX3070 and RTX3060 unlocked or what ? In what workloads ?

It's probably just Seasonic being Seasonic. It's based off Seasonic Focus, which supposedly had previous similar problems with Vega fixed in 2018, but it's still unclear how really it fares with Ampere. Although reports that it doesn't work, like yours are rare, in contrast with Seasonic Prime based units.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

11 minutes ago, Juular said:

Looks cheap. And double forward, so no higher than tier C. I'd wait at least for Cyben to publish a report tho.

With these RTX3070 and RTX3060 unlocked or what ? In what workloads ?

It's probably just Seasonic being Seasonic. It's based off Seasonic Focus, which supposedly had previous similar problems with Vega fixed in 2018, but it's still unclear how really it fares with Ampere. Although reports that it doesn't work, like yours are rare, in contrast with Seasonic Prime based units.

I tried putting 2x 3070 TI and 1x 3070 cards on it at around 670w total power draw on software for mining and it kept restarting randomly. when I reduced power limits it restarted less frequently like once every 3-4 hours but I wasn't happy with that so I unplugged the 3070 and it still kept restarting with 2x 3070ti cards at around 550w + the rest of the system so now I have a 3070 at 120w and 3060 at 140w on it for mining. rest of the system is just idle and max draw should be like 70-80w.

1 minute ago, serhatr said:

2x 3070 TI

Well, each of these cards depending on workload would have around 350-400W of transients, 700-800W total for GPUs alone, which isn't quite 850W still but i'm not confident in saying that there are many other PSUs that would be able to sustain that. Although, this PSU being Seasonic, with problems they constantly have around high-transient GPUs probably contributed to the result you're observing.

21 minutes ago, Juular said:

Well, each of these cards depending on workload would have around 350-400W of transients, 700-800W total for GPUs alone, which isn't quite 850W still but i'm not confident in saying that there are many other PSUs that would be able to sustain that. Although, this PSU being Seasonic, with problems they constantly have around high-transient GPUs probably contributed to the result you're observing.

Thanks for your reply. They were pulling around 230-235w each power limited while mining. So technically it should've been fine but yea. Also everyone says not to use over %80 of max power of a psu idk why that is. Why do we pay for the %20 if we can't use it safely 😕

33 minutes ago, serhatr said:

They were pulling around 230-235w each power limited while mining. 😕

That's average sustained power draw. Transients are way higher with Ampere. To the point when they're high enough to just drain secondary side capacitors on PSU so there's no power anymore until the next switching cycle, because of that voltage drops, PSU or motherboard/GPU VRM detects that and shuts down (UVP) even if power draw still isn't high enough to trip neither OCP or OPP.

So this is basically saying no Seasonic/Corsair is good for 3080 without having to worry  a shut down midgame ? awesome So what's left under 400? The goofy upside down Thor that I cant use any of its cool aesthetics 

10 hours ago, FoxtrotUniform said:

So this is basically saying no Seasonic/Corsair is good for 3080 without having to worry  a shut down midgame ? awesome So what's left under 400? The goofy upside down Thor that I cant use any of its cool aesthetics 

Any Seasonic/Corsair? 

Who said anything about any Corsair? 

10 hours ago, FoxtrotUniform said:

Corsair units are one of the more trusted platforms for Ampere cards.. and no, Corsair PSUs are not made by Seasonic that seems to be a heavy myth out there, especially on reddit. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

9 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Any Seasonic/Corsair? 

Who said anything about any Corsair? 

The original post.

3 hours ago, Nozyspy said:

The original post.

Only one Corsair is listed, and that's the Seasonic made "AX" series. 

3 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Only one Corsair is listed, and that's the Seasonic made "AX" series. 

Sorry, misread the post you were replying to. 👍

guys i wanna buy asus rog strix 750g

i have a 3060 tuf gpu and 11700 non k cpu

will it trip or im good?? and also is it a decent psu???

57 minutes ago, alirezaskyfall said:

will it trip or im good??

RTX3060 wouldn't trip anything. It is a decent PSU.