[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

9 hours ago, Juular said:

There's DQ-M and DQ-M-V2L sometimes called just DQ-M V2 (or even just DQ-M, but the picture is actually of -V2L) which are completely different. DQ-M is good, DQ-M-V2L not so much, it's in tiers B/C depending on wattage. Thus a notice warning people that the tier A listing is not for the -V2L variant. Anyway, i haven't seen the OG DQ-M anywhere for a while, it's out of production and wasn't produced in very large quantities to still stay on the shelves seems, so any DQ-M you would see today is likely the -V2L variant. Thus, we will remove the tier A DQ-M entry to avoid confusion in the next revision (along with general cleanup of the tier list from obsolete\irrelevant entries).

Thanks for reply. I try to find that but always out of stock

I see that the Super Flower Leadex Series is in the A tier. Up to the Leadex III is listed.

Any info on the Leadex V Gold Pro?

Just ordered it since it's on sale for $160 down from $200. Had some extra cash, and I do like that the Leadex V Gold Pro is 130MM long compared to 160MM of the III so figured I'd go with the latest in the Leadex series. 

I'd imagine with how much positive stuff I've read about Super Flower and the extremely positive review (professional review) of the Leadex III I've read that it's pretty safe to assume the Leadex V Gold Pro is quite good.

Either way it will be SO much better than the Gamemax 850 RGB I made the mistake of buying during a brief window when PSU's were kina hard to get. It was fine when I had my GTX 1080. But I finally got a EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra thanks to EVGA notify system (signed up Oct 2020, got my email early September 2021). Ever since I installed the RTX 3080 the Gamemax RGB 850 get super loud within a minute of playing pretty much any demanding game / new AAA release.

I recently also found out that it can cause crashing. I found that out when I played Red Dead 2. I maxed out all the graphics settings and ran the game at 1440p (with v-sync just to be clear). In 10-15 mins game crashes with an error window that just says "GFX Error". I check windows event log and the Nvidia driver timed out and recovered. So, I lower the power limit in Afterburner from 100 to 90 and downclock the GPU by 90 Mhz. Was able to play for ~3 hours with no issues. I go into afterburner and set everything back to default values, launch the game, and same crash in 10-15 mins.

I will give Gamemax credit for their customer service. They include a card with the PSU that states you get 24 months to request a full refund if you register the product with them (which I did day I got it). They honored that, my purchase date was September 20, 2020, and they issued me a full refund back to my credit card. They didn't even ask me to ship it back to them. Also, the reason I was even able to use it with the FTW3 Ultra despite it coming with only two 8 pin PCI-E cables is me emailing them asking if there was somewhere I could buy another cable. They offered to send me "some more cable" for free. I took them up on that, and in a week, I get the same huge bag of cables that the PSU comes with, so I ended up with 4 8 pin PCI-E cables (the PSU has sockets for 4). Only complaint I have is they would not do an RMA or refund or anything until I recorded a video of how loud the PSU was and sent it to them. That's a bit much IMO, like I'm going to make the issue up for fun (they didn't state till the refund was issued that I didn't have to return it). 

1 hour ago, sean8102 said:

Any info on the Leadex V Gold Pro?

Nothing. 

I'd imagine with how much positive stuff I've read about Super Flower and the extremely positive review (professional review) of the Leadex III I've read that it's pretty safe to assume the Leadex V Gold Pro is quite good.

Not really safe, no. But it's probably fine.

I will give Gamemax credit for their customer service. 

I wonder what are their margins on this junk then if they're able to do that.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

12 hours ago, Juular said:

Nothing. 

Not really safe, no. But it's probably fine.

I wonder what are their margins on this junk then if they're able to do that.

Newegg has a shot of one opened up. Do you or anyone here know enough to comment on what you can see. In the video the guy just walks through a lot of stuff I don't understand to be honest.

And yeah IDK what Gamemax is making, but amazingly the RGB 850 is almost always on the first page somewhere of both Newegg and Amazons best selling PSU's. Probably because it's like $80 now at least on Amazon, when I bought it a year ago it was $129. I've left my negative experience with mine in a review on both sites, but the ovewhelming number of reviews are positive. I ordered from amazon and mine came with a card offering free RGB mouse pads in exchange for positive reviews with photos.

Also, I've found no internal photos of the Gamemax RGB 850 PSU, since they don't want it back, and I sure won't be using and don't feel comfortable selling it to someone. I'm thinking about opening the cover when my new PSU comes in. Just to see what it looks like and hopefully someone here can comment on just how bad it is.

Screenshot 2021-10-28 163710.png

Photo and video of internals of Leadex V Gold Pro

20211008_055840.jpg

Card that came with Gamemax RGB 850 from Amazon, the link brings up a email address, at first they just asked for my thoughts on the PSU, then in the second reply they said they would send a RGB mouse pad if posted a positive review on amazon and it had to include at least two photos of the products (hmm wonder why the amazon page has sooo many reviewer photos). I declined and updated my review to mention this. If anyone knows of a way to report this to amazon (pretty sure they have a rule against giving customers free gifts in exchange for reviews) let me know, I couldn't find one.

6 hours ago, sean8102 said:

Newegg has a shot of one opened up.

Yeah, we do have shots, but the only thing we can get out of that is that it's LLC resonant DC-DC topology just as all other Leadex PSUs, that combined with the fact that they claim OTP at least puts the PSU in tier B LP but to be able to recommend it and put it in tier A we need actual reviews, there's zero so far, not even the simplest ones.

Also, I've found no internal photos of the Gamemax RGB 850 PSU, since they don't want it back, and I sure won't be using and don't feel comfortable selling it to someone. I'm thinking about opening the cover when my new PSU comes in. Just to see what it looks like and hopefully someone here can comment on just how bad it is.

IIRC we had some photos but another one to confirm that they're selling the same thing would be good.

I declined and updated my review to mention this. If anyone knows of a way to report this to amazon (pretty sure they have a rule against giving customers free gifts in exchange for reviews) let me know, I couldn't find one.

They don't care. I wish there was a law against that.

On 10/26/2021 at 1:17 PM, rtyall said:

Thanks for letting me know. At £60 it might be worth a gamble, the 80+ cert seems to be identical to the MSI:

The problem with 80 PLUS reports is thatt all a company has to do is say that they "leveraged the same platform" and pay less for the certification.  You can literally either cost down the platform or use a different platform altogether and it doesn't matter.   80 PLUS just says "OK!" and lists your product.

I came here from watching the PSU video from the youtube channel PC Builder. I was skeptical about this list but I searched the first "A Tier" PSU Dark Power Pro 11, and lo and behold it has some pretty bad reviews off the bat. I thought, Ok well it could be just a few bad ones, than I sort reviews by most recent, NOPE this S%^@# is bad. a lot of recent failures reported. Seriously this list is not reliable. Again the best way I said was just sort the reviews on Amazon, Newegg, etc by most number of reviews and start sifting through them. you don't have to read them all but pay attention to the bad reviews. assuming they aren't just ignorant that they chose something incompatible, you get an idea of which parts have high failure rates or fail catastrophically. Last thing I want is for my $1,000 PC to start smoking, especially since I chose it from a fantasy football "tier list" by who knows who wrote it. The PC I'm using I chose the parts using reviews and this thing runs a lot daily for over a decade, everything original except for the 120mm case fans, case fans are so unreliable. was hoping it would have died so I can upgrade but I was even stupid enough to buy a backup duplicate mobo and cpu off ebay. 

25 minutes ago, eksine said:

a lot of recent failures reported

4 reports of failures with no way of you knowing if the end user didn't fuck up ? Out of 244 ? A lot ? Seriously ?

If you think you can take out any useful information out of end user feedback on marketplace, especially one like Amazon then you're wrong. Besides, we don't force you to buy anything, this is a guide, what to buy out of dozens of units in the tier A we recommend is completely up to you. You're supposed to do your own research on top of this. Don't like that there are 4 reports of failures out of a few hundreds for one model ? Fine, look up something else then.

49 minutes ago, eksine said:

I came here from watching the PSU video from the youtube channel PC Builder. I was skeptical about this list but I searched the first "A Tier" PSU Dark Power Pro 11, and lo and behold it has some pretty bad reviews off the bat. I thought, Ok well it could be just a few bad ones, than I sort reviews by most recent, NOPE this S%^@# is bad. a lot of recent failures reported. Seriously this list is not reliable. Again the best way I said was just sort the reviews on Amazon, Newegg, etc by most number of reviews and start sifting through them. you don't have to read them all but pay attention to the bad reviews. assuming they aren't just ignorant that they chose something incompatible, you get an idea of which parts have high failure rates or fail catastrophically. Last thing I want is for my $1,000 PC to start smoking, especially since I chose it from a fantasy football "tier list" by who knows who wrote it. The PC I'm using I chose the parts using reviews and this thing runs a lot daily for over a decade, everything original except for the 120mm case fans, case fans are so unreliable. was hoping it would have died so I can upgrade but I was even stupid enough to buy a backup duplicate mobo and cpu off ebay. 

LOLOLOL!!!

You fell into the end user review trap!

Welcome to adulthood.

5 hours ago, Juular said:

Yeah, we do have shots, but the only thing we can get out of that is that it's LLC resonant DC-DC topology just as all other Leadex PSUs, that combined with the fact that they claim OTP at least puts the PSU in tier B LP but to be able to recommend it and put it in tier A we need actual reviews, there's zero so far, not even the simplest ones.

IIRC we had some photos but another one to confirm that they're selling the same thing would be good.

They don't care. I wish there was a law against that.

Well there is this pic from the gamemax website on the product page for the RGB 850 but who knows if it's actually of the RGB 850.

Like I said when the Leadex V Gold Pro I ordered comes in I'll take the cover off my Gamemax RGB 850 and post a photo for the heck of it.

Anyways UPS says the Leadex V Gold Pro will be here Nov 2. Can't wait to get this Gamemax PSU out of my system, be able to play games without my PSU sounding like a jet engine, and be able to play really demanding games like Red Dead 2 without having to lower my GPU power limit below 100, and underclock or else have the game crash in 10-15 mins.

I can safely say I learned my lesson about never giving some unknown brand you can't find any reliable info on a chance when it comes to a PSU again. No matter what, weather it's because it's the only one in stock, or the price etc. Even if it has lots of customer reviews with a high overall rating (because as I found out some like Gamemax are bribing customers with cheap crappy gifts for 5 star reviews)

1593787092600394.jpg

7 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

The problem with 80 PLUS reports is thatt all a company has to do is say that they "leveraged the same platform" and pay less for the certification.  You can literally either cost down the platform or use a different platform altogether and it doesn't matter.   80 PLUS just says "OK!" and lists your product.

That's a pretty sneaky tactic, you'd think it would have better moderation.
I've picked one up from the local shop, looking through the vent I can see a couple of green JunFu capcitors, some larger black Capxon with P2106 105.C printed on them and some smaller SMD made by Chinsan with a blue Cs logo that I can't identify. I'd open it up but it has a warranty void sticker on one of the screws, as the quality is looking suspect I'm going to return it and stick with the MSI.

IMG_20211029_120655_small.jpg

IMG_20211029_120753_small.jpg

IMG_20211029_120811_SMall.jpg

IMG_20211029_120935_small.jpg

Edited by rtyall
Identified the CS caps.

31 minutes ago, rtyall said:

as the quality is looking suspect

Well, at least it's still GPU, not GPX as i've suspected it might have turned out. Caps are really not that big of a deal, i'd rather get this than say Seasonic Core which goes for similar price. That said, it's hard to tell if these caps are actually good, as it's not only about the brand or rather not at all, some series may be fine, some not so. So MSI is a better choice since we have some reviews with component breakdowns on them.

22 minutes ago, Juular said:

Well, at least it's still GPU, not GPX as i've suspected it might have turned out. Caps are really not that big of a deal, i'd rather get this than say Seasonic Core which goes for similar price. That said, it's hard to tell if these caps are actually good, as it's not only about the brand or rather not at all, some series may be fine, some not so. So MSI is a better choice since we have some reviews with component breakdowns on them.

Thanks for that, happy to stick with the MSI and a known quantity. The Capxon are the KF series, I can't make out what the JunFu are.

3 hours ago, rtyall said:

Thanks for that, happy to stick with the MSI and a known quantity. The Capxon are the KF series, I can't make out what the JunFu are.

Power supplies are more than a box of capacitors.  In fact, the capacitors would be the least of my worries.

@LukeSavenije @Juular Note that the current PSU tier list has been updated to 15.0, but the tier list in this thread may not be updated:

Also, please take note that due to various reasons, the main of which being the lack of time and willingness to do formatting from the scratch (since it’s vastly different between the site and forum engines) – tier list forum threads are likely to be abandoned, unless someone else takes updating duties over. Friendly reminder than anyone can publish/derive our work anywhere (for non-commercial use) as long as the license is intact (which is CC BY-NC-SA 4.0), any changes are noted and there source (i.e this site) credited.

https://cultists.network/3783/psu-tier-list-has-been-updated-to-rev-15-0/

Perhaps someone can update the tier list to a new one, or archive this thread and create a new one? 

How's the Corsair CX-M 2021 edition (new design label, triangle-ish mesh), is it still on par with the previous (2017) CX-M which is on Tier C?

1 hour ago, pesekcuy said:

How's the Corsair CX-M 2021 edition (new design label, triangle-ish mesh), is it still on par with the previous (2017) CX-M which is on Tier C?

Yes, it isn't going higher because it's still double-forward but no reviews yet to actually evaluate it's performance.

Is the Corsair RM (2019) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX psu in here if not what rating would it be?

4 minutes ago, TheChickenMan said:

Is the Corsair RM (2019) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX psu in here if not what rating would it be?

RM 2019 is rated. Take a look at the Tierlist.

txm_tech.png

It seems that the TXM (2021) features a completely new platform compared to the previous model. In a way, it reminds me of the RMX (2018) with that MOSFETs arrangement in the APFC stage, but it is still manufactured by Great Wall.

48 minutes ago, Sakee__ said:

txm_tech.png

It seems that the TXM (2021) features a completely new platform compared to the previous model. In a way, it reminds me of the RMX (2018) with that MOSFETs arrangement in the APFC stage, but it is still manufactured by Great Wall.

Mention of Jonny :

7 hours ago, Sakee__ said:

txm_tech.png

Layout change doesn't mean completely new platform.

You have to change out a lot of your layout if you move from TO220 FETs to SMT TDSON package to improve efficiency and thermals because triangles.

-12V was changed from a pair of Schottky diodes to D2D for better regulation, but I really wish they'd just kill that rail altogether.  😞