Help me choose the right monitor

Nam061

Good day,

I’m in an endless battle with myself to select the right monitor. Currently I have a 24” 1080p 60hz 2ms response, and I am looking to upgrade. My options are:

Option 1:

- 27”

- 1080p

- IPS

- HDR10

- G-Sync & Adaptive FreeSync compatible

- 144Hz, 5ms response

Option 2:

- 27”

- 1440p

- TN

- FreeSync compatible

- 144 Hz, 1ms response

My primary goal is to use the monitor on my Xbox One X and daily browsing with some video/movies. With Next gen releasing soon I have a good feeling some game titles may unlock their FPS.

I am leaning towards option 1, but then again 1440p support is also pulling me the other way. Sadly, my budget can not compensate for a monitor that supports option 1 specs but has 1440p res. 

Which of these two would be the best pick and would be a good investment for the next three give or take years? Please explain why.

personally i would go for a monitor with ips over TN. it will look MUCH better for movies/videos. TN is only  usefull for gaming and fast response time. 

you cannot go wrong with either though. it depends on your preference on what you want. high resolution + poor color/viewing or slightly lower res + amazing color/viewing

edit: what exact monitors are you looking at. there is only a small difference between high quality TN vs low quality IPS

Which specific monitors are you looking at?

I also don't know if a 120 hz monitor really is worth it. There seem to be very few games that support 120 hz on the xbox one x. And I don't know if support will increase in the future since very few people use a 120 hz monitor with an xbox; most of the time it's a 60 hz TV.

Maybe a 1440p 60 hz IPS monitor with freesync would be your best bet? Freesync is probably the thing you would want for gaming

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

6 hours ago, Saksham said:

personally i would go for a monitor with ips over TN. it will look MUCH better for movies/videos. TN is only  usefull for gaming and fast response time. 

you cannot go wrong with either though. it depends on your preference on what you want. high resolution + poor color/viewing or slightly lower res + amazing color/viewing

edit: what exact monitors are you looking at. there is only a small difference between high quality TN vs low quality IPS

Hi, 

The option 1 monitor is this one: 27GL650F-B The option 2 I just stated specs in the event I do not go for option 1, so I have no specific monitor for this option 2. That said, my biggest question is do I drop image quality and go for the TN option which has a better resolution or do I take a 1080p which will have perfect picture colors. 

I have been using TN for years, and if I am honest with myself, I want IPS now. But how bad would a 1080p be on a 27" also, I am fine with a 5ms response, not like I will really notice the difference coming from a 2 ms. But will a 1080p IPS be better than a 1440p TN? That's the question I really need answered. 

Also, am 90% positive, when next gen console drop, titles such as Rainbow Six Siege will most likely support 120Hz, in fact many games will. I do not see how the console community will not want that, now that next gen will fully support it.  @Saksham I hope this reply also answers your question?

But also, if you had these two options to choose from, which would be the one you go for?

first one is the obvious

If I had one wish, I would ask for a big enough ass for the whole world to kiss