Software that stops you from moving to linux?

For me, it's the fragmentation of Linux. Each distro is essentially its own OS. They all may have the same brain (the Linux kernel), but they each behave very differently. And the whole "if you don't like it, fork it" thing really doesn't help.

Right now, I've been liking Pop! OS. It feels like a what-if version of Ubuntu had they not launched Unity in 2011. Great driver support, great multimedia playback, most stuff just works, bare bones GNOME for maximum compatibility, and good meta packages for proprietary drivers if you need them. Modern Ubuntu still has way too much stuff left over from Unity, which still causes things to break. I also used to like Linux Mint but Cinnamon has similar problems.

So yeah, the thing that keeps me on Windows is the fact that it's open enough to build stuff on but not split apart into Horcruxes. Linux is an engineering masterpiece, but I don't think it's fair to consider each distro compatible with one another.

lttstore.com

games.

Further explanation:

I’m running win8.1 atm simply because I view the data mining stuff that was stuffed into windows as malware.  Win8.1 is nearing EOL though so I’ve got 3 choices: OSX, Linux, or bite the bullet and use win10.  I was leaning towards OSX but I’m very underwhelmed by Apple hardware atm.  Linux is in the lead, but I like to play new triple A single player RPGs.  If windows didn’t have this malware stupidity it would be win10 in a minute though.  It’s just easier.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

18 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Maybe you've never worked at a large company before or something?

What you need to understand is that you don't work alone, you work as part of a large team of people. Sometimes tens or hundreds, possibly more if it is an international corporation.

There are standards in place so that people can work on projects together.

This involves file types which are often very specific to a program.

For example sldprt and sldasm. Or psd. Or ppro. Or a bunch of other stuff.

Everything from circuit design to cnc programming.

You think you're going to convince an entire company to switch to an open source linux alternative because you don't want to use windows? lol

youre literally putting words in everyones mouth and missing the point entirely

If I had one wish, I would ask for a big enough ass for the whole world to kiss

1 hour ago, Enderman said:

See the problem is that you cannot use alternatives.

At least not in school or in industry.

What are you gonna do when someone at work sends you a .sldprt file and expects you to make a .sldasm?

Or when a professor asks for a ccs file submission?

Or when you need to edit and return a premiere pro project file?

You can't use an alternative to do this kind of stuff.

Doesn't change the fact what these softwares do on windows, Linux has softwares that do these as well. 

As a college student, I have yet to see a class that requires windows only softwares. 

I did ecounter a class that requires you to run a copy of Linux mint, either in vm or native installation(was learning system architecture and programming in low level system POSIX APIs).

Sudo make me a sandwich 

33 minutes ago, RelativeMono said:

youre literally putting words in everyones mouth and missing the point entirely

You literally said this:

1 hour ago, RelativeMono said:

obviously you use what youre told to use at work

but if you are told to make a pdf you dont need windows for it.

if you are told to make a song you dont need fl studio for it

if you are told to edit a video you dont need to use the standard for it

only when you are told to use sony vegas do you need to do so.

and the higher ups are wrong when they do that, the only thing that matters is the end goal.

it's "stopping you from using linux"

not "why you cant use linux at work"

or "is your boss dumb and tells you to use a specific program?"

i personally wouldnt work at a place that forced me to use windows.

also you arent forced to use windows programs at uni

unless you take some crap programs

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

16 minutes ago, wasab said:

Doesn't change the fact what these softwares do on windows, Linux has softwares that do these as well. 

As a college student, I have yet to see a class that requires windows only softwares. 

I did ecounter a class that requires you to run a copy of Linux mint, either in vm or native installation(was learning system architecture and programming in low level system POSIX APIs).

Well at university there are plenty of windows-only programs.

Also at engineering companies.

It doesn't matter if there are alternatives when there is an industry standard program you have to use.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

You literally said this:

its okay, you want an excuse this bad to not use linux, its chill

dont @ me anymore thanks

5 minutes ago, RelativeMono said:

The example I used was a typewriter vs a computer for making a pdf, not windows vs linux for making a pdf.

A typewriter cannot make pdfs.

A typewriter vs a computer represents program A vs program B for making an exclusive file type, where program A works on linux and program B works on windows.

Clearly this example was too complex for you to understand :/

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

The example I used was a typewriter vs a computer for making a pdf, not windows vs linux for making a pdf.

A typewriter cannot make pdfs.

A typewriter vs a computer represents program A vs program B for making an exclusive file type, where program A works on linux and program B works on windows.

Clearly this example was too complex for you to understand :/

no i just was saying it was a dumb example and had nothing to do with it.

Can you not @ me anymore?

9 minutes ago, RelativeMono said:

no i just was saying it was a dumb example and had nothing to do with it.

Can you not @ me anymore?

Yeah and clearly you did not understand that very simple example.

Quoting is not tagging.

This is tagging: @RelativeMono

Spoiler

Ever since I've moved to linux, I've been more paranoid about installing closed source software since there's no native antivirus. I still keep a windows computer around for games and anything else I don't trust. Also, installing graphics drivers have always been a pain for me. I've forgotten to disable noveau a bunch of times.

2 minutes ago, integer_tricks said:

Ever since I've moved to linux, I've been more paranoid about installing closed source software since there's no native antivirus. I still keep a windows computer around for games and anything else I don't trust. Also, installing graphics drivers have always been a pain for me. I've forgotten to disable noveau a bunch of times.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/free-linux-antivirus-programs/

6 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

I did install openSUSE, and it's the least problematic distro I've dealt with.  However, I barely use it.  The original intent was for Blender; however, given the sw problems in most of what I do on Linux I just don't ever really boot into it which is gaming.

if your cpu supports vt-d

then look up gpu passthrough

convenience.exe and laziness.msi 

I tried dual booting Linux this year, but since i spent like 90% of the time on Windows, i decided to just give up.

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

3 hours ago, Enderman said:

It doesn't matter if there are alternatives when there is an industry standard program you have to use.

Plenty of people got through college with MacOS, heck, even a chromebook. Windows is hardly necessary. In industry, it is the same thing. Business have been running complex applications and software with just android devices and ipads even.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

12 minutes ago, wasab said:

Plenty of people got through college with MacOS, heck, even a chromebook. Windows is hardly necessary. In industry, it is the same thing. Business have been running complex applications and software with just android devices and ipads even.

Yeah I know.

I have plenty of friends that use macbooks.

They either have a second windows laptop, or they use bootcamp, or they use virtual machines.

If you read the beginning of this thread you will some posts about why I would rather just use windows and not have to deal with any emulation or dual booting or virtual machines.

Not that it can't be done, but there is no need for me to do so.

Spoiler

The thing that stops me switching to LInux isn't any software in particular, it's just that it isn't Windows (or MacOS). I use both MacOS and WIndows on a daily basis, and honestly I see no need to use Linux. I've been using Windows my whole life, I know my way around Windows, I know all my software works with Windows. I don't have to worry about whether or not a piece of software will work, I don't have to spend hours looking around online for an alternative. I just download it, open it and it just works (oh, that's another point there!)

If I buy a game, I know it'll run

If I buy a piece of software, I know it'll run

If I buy a printer, I know it'll connect

Oh, and then there's the Linux fans, if you think Apple fanboys are bad, Linux fanboys are whole other level!

Until 99% of software natively supports Linux, why should I switch?

Anyway, to actually answer the question, this is some of the software that I use regularly that just isn't available on Linux

Microsoft Office 

Word - I've tried basically all the alternatives and they're all crap! The only thing that comes close is Google Docs

Excel - Well, considering Excel is my favourite game after GTA V, I could never give it up!

Publisher - Don't judge, when you need to just throw a poster together, it's the easiest solution!

Adobe Creative Suite (Not Creative Cloud because why should I pay again, and again, and again!) 

Photoshop - As much as people like to say there are alternatives to Photoshop, there isn't! Nothing comes close. 

Premiere - I've tried switching to Resolve but I just can't get used to it, the only other NLE I'm comfortable in is Vegas, but that's not on Linux either

Illustrator - I use both Inkscape and Illustrator (often both at the time) because they both have their advantage, I actually prefer Inkscape for most things, but there are some things that are just easier in Illustrator!

After Effects - I don't use it that often, but when you need it, you need it!

Fusion 360 - I know there are alternatives on Linux, but I like Fusion, so why should I change?

Sketchup - don't even mention the web version, that thing deserves to die a very painful death!

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

5 hours ago, Enderman said:

We seem to be having the "Why aren't people embracing Linux on the Desktop and dumping Windows?" every two weeks here, and the same ill-informed arguments from the Linux camp repeatedly.

I'll summarize:

1. I have a job, that job R E Q U I R E S use of a specific program that has only Windows, or Windows/Mac OS X versions.

2. There are no "Linux/Free alternatives", use the program the business head honchos tell you to use or they will get rid of you in favor of someone who will.

3. No you can not install Linux on your work machine and then use WINE to run the Windows applications, because that's not IT sanctioned. That's all we need is some person who damages company property, taking down the entire billion dollar company by one misconfiguration that the IT people have to hunt down where you are and shut it down.

This is a generalization to prove a point. You do not REPLACE the software you are required to use. You don't tell someone who want's to play World of Warcraft to play Runescape because it's a "Linux game". That's not the tool they want to learn or use. Telling people who need Photoshop for their job to just use TheGimp is the same as doing that.

The main thing that stops me is that it's not as easy as windows, and I have had problems with for example WiFi card not working out of the box for example.

For the computers at work it's PLC programming programs and stuff but those are at work only PCs, but it's the same reason it was windows only in high school, PLC programming programs is only on windows. Not on Linux and not on macOS.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

I run Windows 9, which is supported through 2024. Once that is no longer actively supported, I will be forced to go to Linux.

I've worked extensively with Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and love it, but the switch from init scripts to systemD took a once solid system and made it less so, so I've held off on a migration.

But whatever is the current hotness of Debian in 2024 is where I will go.

I am a (professional) photographer and LightRoom has no equal under Linux. 

Given the improvements of WINE and VMs, by 2024 the performance hit won't be a big deal so really, nothing holding me back other than I really like Windows 9 and will be sad to have to let it go.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

I have been holding off because my fingerprint swipe sensor (BCM 5880) doesn't work on linux, I know its a small thing but it's so convenient compared to typing in a password. That being said if windows pulls another one of it's bullshit updates that fails and then I have to sit there for an hour rebooting it until it finally realizes that the update is broke. (This shit happens like every week but it keeps god damn trying) I just might switch.

why no dark mode?
Current:

Watercooled Eluktronics THICC-17 (Clevo X170SM-G):
CPU: i9-10900k @ 4.9GHz all core
GPU: RTX 2080 Super (Max P 200W)
RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) @ 3200MTs

Storage: 512GB HP EX NVMe SSD, 2TB Silicon Power NVMe SSD
Displays: Asus ROG XG-17 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), IPS 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), Gigabyte M32U 4k@144Hz (G-Sync), External Laptop panel (LTN173HT02) 1080p@120Hz

Asus ROG Flow Z13 (GZ301ZE) W/ Increased Power Limit:
CPU: i9-12900H @ Up to 5.0GHz all core
- dGPU: RTX 3050 Ti 4GB

- eGPU: RTX 3080 (mobile) XGm 16GB
RAM: 16GB (8x2GB) @ 5200MTs

Storage: 1TB NVMe SSD, 1TB MicroSD
Display: 1200p@120Hz

Asus Zenbook Duo (UX481FLY):

CPU: i7-10510U @ Up to 4.3 GHz all core
- GPU: MX 250
RAM: 16GB (8x2GB) @ 2133MTs

Storage: 128GB SATA M.2 (NVMe no worky)
Display: Main 1080p@60Hz + Screnpad Plus 1920x515@60Hz

Custom Game Server:

CPUs: Ryzen 7 7700X @ 5.1GHz all core

RAM: 128GB (4x32GB) DDR5 @ whatever it'll boot at xD (I think it's 3600MTs)

Storage: 2x 1TB WD Blue NVMe SSD in RAID 1, 4x 10TB HGST Enterprise HDD in RAID Z1

Two PCs, one runs Pop OS, the other one Windows. Best of both worlds..