Can you put server RAM in a desktop computer?

Looking to buy some cheaper DDR3 ram, can I put server ram in my desktop computer. Dell optiplex 790, core i5-2400.

Since its 99.9% ECC RAM from the server - no. If its non ECC, then it should work.

ESL Profile: https://play.eslgaming.com/player/2432327/

F@H Profile: https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=847206

Old System:                                                                 Current System :

i7-3770k + Cooler Master Hyper 212                           i9 9900k + Noctua NH-D15

Gigabyte Z77M-D3H                                                    Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Master

Evga Geforce GTX 970 SC                                          GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING OC (F@H OC +70core/+580 mem)

HyperX FURY Red 16GB  DDR3 1600                        Corsair Vengeance  LPX 2x16GB DDR4 3200

bequiet PURE POWER 600W 80+ bronze                  Corsair RM 650x 80+ gold

Samsung 850 Evo 120 GB + 1TB HDD                       Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB 

Thermaltake Level 20 MT ARGB 

1 minute ago, Kenpachi1985 said:

Since its 99.9% ECC RAM from the server - no. If its non ECC, then it should work.

Do you want ECC ram in your computer? Or is it straight up not usable?

2 minutes ago, DrQuickDroqqed said:

Do you want ECC ram in your computer? Or is it straight up not usable?

Its not compatible, unless you have some exotic Xeon CPU with a specific motherboard. So its straight up non useable. *edit* its also important to knwo if its "registered" ECC or "unregistered" ECC. unregistered might work. But its delicate to try it out and i would not suggest trying it since there are a lot of cheap and good normal alternatives out there.

F@H Profile: https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=847206

Old System:                                                                 Current System :

i7-3770k + Cooler Master Hyper 212                           i9 9900k + Noctua NH-D15

Gigabyte Z77M-D3H                                                    Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Master

Evga Geforce GTX 970 SC                                          GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING OC (F@H OC +70core/+580 mem)

HyperX FURY Red 16GB  DDR3 1600                        Corsair Vengeance  LPX 2x16GB DDR4 3200

Samsung 850 Evo 120 GB + 1TB HDD                       Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB 

2 minutes ago, Kenpachi1985 said:

Its not compatible, unless you have some exotic Xeon CPU with a specific motherboard. So its straight up non useable.

So any non ECC ram is usable in my optiplex 790 correct?

Just now, DrQuickDroqqed said:

So any non ECC ram is usable in my optiplex 790 correct?

DDR3 1333 CL9 is pretty cheap,I have tons of those in my closet.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

17 minutes ago, Kenpachi1985 said:

I could be wrong with it being older Intel processors but ECC does not determine if a desktop will work with server memory. Most newer Intel platforms (like 2010 and later at least) will accept ECC memory just that it won't useilize the ECC feature. That will be disabled.

What WILL determine if a desktop system will work with server memory is weather or not it is registered/unbuffered.

Most desktops will work with UDIMM ECC memory (the ECC feature won't work though)

Most desktops will not accept at all RDIMM modules.

Edit:

You will also have to pay attention to the Rank of the modules. (R2x4, R1x4, etc) these ranks can also affect if the system will work with the sticks. Most popularly you'll wan single rank or dual rank. A desktop system may not work with quad or higher.

12 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

a

12 minutes ago, Vishera said:

DDR3 1333 CL9 is pretty cheap,I have tons of those in my closet.

bro hmu ;)

13 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

I could be wrong with it being older Intel processors but ECC does not determine if a desktop will work with server memory. Most newer Intel platforms (like 2010 and later at least) will accept ECC memory just that it won't useilize the ECC feature. That will be disabled.

What WILL determine if a desktop system will work with server memory is weather or not it is registered/unbuffered.

Most desktops will work with UDIMM ECC memory (the ECC feature won't work though)

Most desktops will not accept at all RDIMM modules.

Edit:

You will also have to pay attention to the Rank of the modules. (R2x4, R1x4, etc) these ranks can also affect if the system will work with the sticks. Most popularly you'll wan single rank or dual rank. A desktop system may not work with quad or higher.

As i said, yes ;)

2 minutes ago, Kenpachi1985 said:

As i said, yes ;)

*suspicions intensify*

I'm interpreting you post as the system will not POST with ECC memory. Not that it will still POST but not utilize the ECC feature.

51 minutes ago, The_Prycer said:

Does your CPU and Mobo support ECC RAM? If yes, happily continue, if no, then sorry.

Its an i5-2400

32 minutes ago, Genwyn said:

Y’all need to just google “optiplex 790” some times and you would know everything needed to answer OPs question.

Theres a massive community of people who build and mod those things.

They do not support any ECC server memory. Doesn’t matter the type, doesn’t matter the speed, ranking, registered or not, it exclusively takes regular DDR3. 
1333mhz is ideal, 1600mhz will work but it will limit to 1333mhz, stock 1866 will do the same. Anything faster likely won’t even downclock and other people talking about it confirm things like 2400mhz DDR3 will cause a failure to post.

Get regular 1333mhz ddr3

I'm looking at 1600 ddr3 and it is a good amount cheaper than ddr3 1333. Probably because more of it is on the market. I think that 1600 will be the way to go in terms of price, its ok if it will be limited to 1333mhz

1 minute ago, DrQuickDroqqed said:

Its an i5-2400

the i5 does not support ECC RAM, so even if your mobo did, it probably wouldn't work.

乇乂丅尺卂 丅卄工匚匚

1 minute ago, The_Prycer said:

the i5 does not support ECC RAM, so even if your mobo did, it probably wouldn't work.

So non-ecc ram only. If there was server ram that was non-ecc, would it work in the build?

Just now, DrQuickDroqqed said:

So non-ecc ram only. If there was server ram that was non-ecc, would it work in the build?

Generally speaking, all server RAM is ECC. If you were to have non-ECC RAM though, it would work just fine.

乇乂丅尺卂 丅卄工匚匚

Just now, The_Prycer said:

Generally speaking, all server RAM is ECC. If you were to have non-ECC RAM though, it would work just fine.

Ok thank you :D

I think my problem has been solved, thanks to all who have helped me out. Cheers! :)

1 minute ago, DrQuickDroqqed said:

"server RAM" is ECC, that's why it's used in servers. ECC-unbuffered/non-registered should work, it just won't use ECC functionality. That RAM isn't much cheaper than mainstream DDR3 though. The really cheap sticks are ECC registered/buffered and only work with mobo/CPU combos that support ECC. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch