Disappointed that LMG is associating with MrGrimmmz and his horrible behavior

Roswell

I know I'm not a seasoned user here and I'm not sure if this is the right forum. 

That said, I'm kind of disappointed LMG would collaborate with someone who has a history of abusing YouTube copyright, targeting and bullying Twitch users and just overall atrociously toxic behavior in the community.

I know the guy is popular, but still, why associate with that?

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

Good thing it wasnt LMG who arranged the whole association... it was Nvidia. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

2 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Good thing it wasnt LMG who arranged the whole association... it was Nvidia. 

I know it wasn't organized by them, but it's still a choice. 

3 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

i guess there really should be repercussions for the named, but remember this is LMG's video and effort (for the presentation part) (unless you want to count the other participants as well) you're looking to get cancelled ._.

I totally get how you feel, that's why I'm just disappointed, not calling for heads or lashing out. 

I guess I just wish the guy was vetted out before he was included. I suppose it's silly to expect a small company to be aware of drama from 2 years ago from a relatively small streamer (at the time). It's just unfortunate.

1 minute ago, Vitamanic said:

I totally get how you feel, that's why I'm just disappointed, not calling for heads or lashing out. 

I guess I just wish the guy was vetted out before he was included. I suppose it's silly to expect a small company to be aware of drama from 2 years ago from a relatively small streamer (at the time). It's just unfortunate.

If you have links to drama, it will help to get LMGs response.

That said, If this person is still doing same thing, it really is a issue. If they have apologized their past actions and changed their ways, then we would be talking about giving them another chance.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

who?

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard Asus Strix B550i | RAM 32gb 3200 Crucial Ballistix | GPU Nvidia RTX 3070 Founder Edition | Cooling Barrow CPU/PUMP Block, EKWB Vector GPU Block, Corsair 280mm Radiator | Case NZXT H1 | Storage Sabrent Rocket 2tb, Samsung SM951 1tb

PSU NZXT S650 SFX Gold | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

Sound Logitech Z560 THX | Operating System Windows 10 Pro

Couldnt care less about those lets Play Freaks.

Didnt even know this Person exist.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

5 hours ago, Vitamanic said:

I know I'm not a seasoned user here and I'm not sure if this is the right forum. 

That said, I'm kind of disappointed LMG would collaborate with someone who has a history of abusing YouTube copyright, targeting and bullying Twitch users and just overall atrociously toxic behavior in the community.

I know the guy is popular, but still, why associate with that?

Not everyone here follows what someone else does. Like another poster, I had no idea who this person was until this thread. Not going to waste my time researching them either as there are far more important things to focus on.

Threads like this only bring more attention to things that shouldn't.

1 minute ago, Mooshi said:

Threads like this only bring more attention to things that shouldn't.

Streisand effect at its finest.

Going to become rather pricey if we're suggesting LMG to hire a private investigator every time they may collab with a new (temporary) partner. 

At any rate, my questions are:

1) Do the allegations actually have truth to them?

And if so...

2) Is the alleged party still engaging in said ill behavior?

I'd suggest that we remain nuetral as possible here. If negative publicity were to arise for some reason or another, I'm quite certain LMG is fully capable of addressing it. I see little reason for intervention on our part.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

13 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Going to become rather pricey if we're suggesting LMG to hire a private investigator every time they may collab with a new (temporary) partner. 

At any rate, my questions are:

1) Do the allegations actually have truth to them?

And if so...

2) Is the alleged party still engaging in said ill behavior?

I'd suggest that we remain nuetral as possible here. If negative publicity were to arise for some reason or another, I'm quite certain LMG is fully capable of addressing it. I see little reason for intervention on our part.

Which is why any thread like this should include some context. Right now this could be one person who dislikes another making baseless or misunderstood claims.

First or, even better, 3rd party source would be enough to see if there's something to be angry about, and would get reply from LMG.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

3 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Which is why any thread like this should include some context. Right now this could be one person who dislikes another making baseless or misunderstood claims.

First or, even better, 3rd party source would be enough to see if there's something to be angry about, and would get reply from LMG.

That explains the basis of the copyright abuse.

This is him initially lying about what he did to H3H3 (very prominent YouTuber): https://web.archive.org/web/20170823201804/https:/twitter.com/h3h3productions/status/900446861139390464

Then totalbiscuit (another, unfortunately departed prominent YouTuber) got into it and started publicly commenting on it: https://mobile.twitter.com/Totalbiscuit/status/900475089178808321

Then MrGrimmmz started backpedaling once it was apparent that he was lying and getting mass coverage from the community, commentators and even sites like Forbes. He issued a half assed apology laced with excuses about how difficult online games are and how that's why he "snapped" and illegally abused the US copyright system: https://www.google.com/amp/s/kotaku.com/popular-battlegrounds-streamer-apologizes-for-getting-y-1798408997/amp

A notable outtake from his apology is that he abused the US copyright system so he could "hurt" people like they hurt him by honking a car horn in a video game.

The dude is a loser, doesn't deserve a second chance since he never actually apologized. All he did was whine about it and make excuses only AFTER big names started calling him out and the media started picking it up.

As far as him being a toxic person and bullying members of the community, I'll update this post with said info when I'm not on mobile. Sorry it took me so long to reply, I kind of forgot about my post to be honest.

7 hours ago, Vitamanic said:

The dude is a loser, doesn't deserve a second chance since he never actually apologized. All he did was whine about it and make excuses only AFTER big names started calling him out and the media started picking it up.

Like pretty much all the other people who take up their privileged tool and abuse it. But people can and will change. Don't tell me you haven't done anything in past which you regret now and are happy that (mostly) everyone else don't hold grudge about it.

You know that some game devs have done same things in past. They also didn't revert those things until called out. You usually don't understand what you did was wrong before you get called out on it. Comes back to that part of being priviledged with tools to do something that can hurt others.

7 hours ago, Vitamanic said:

As far as him being a toxic person and bullying members of the community, I'll update this post with said info when I'm not on mobile. Sorry it took me so long to reply, I kind of forgot about my post to be honest.

If you can find more recent stuff, then this will actually be something. For now, its time to alert LMG and see if they want to take another look and respond. But knowing what kind of person Linus is, I think he might side more with my line than yours. Then again, he has also shown signs of sitting in glass tower...

@LinusTech @nicklmg

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I wasn't aware of any of these issues, and the rest of the streamers we collaborated with were chosen by NVIDIA.

Frankly I don't think any of this affects the results of our test, but I'm disappointed that Grimmmmz used copyright law for something other than what it was intended for.

With that said, if someone was physically driving by my house honking their horn to interrupt my filming session (and potentially use the recording to dox me) I would certainly understand the temptation to use any means I could to get that clip pulled down..

I can see this one from both sides...

Edit: I just spoke with Brian after he stumbled across this thread and I have a much better understanding of where his head space was at when this controversy occurred. 

He's since been educated on the issue of fair use and I think at this point it doesn't make much sense to continue to harbor any I'll-will about what happened. 

If anything I thought it was really big of him to reach out to me directly to clarify that this was a lesson he'd learned 100% and felt terrible about. 

2 hours ago, LinusTech said:

I wasn't aware of any of these issues, and the rest of the streamers we collaborated with were chosen by NVIDIA.

Frankly I don't think any of this affects the results of our test, but I'm disappointed that Grimmmmz used copyright law for something other than what it was intended for.

With that said, if someone was physically driving by my house honking their horn to interrupt my filming session (and potentially use the recording to dox me) I would certainly understand the temptation to use any means I could to get that clip pulled down..

I can see this one from both sides...

@LinusTech

Hi Linus, I just want to point out that the car honking was in a video game, they were driving by their character, not their house! There were no doxing attempts at all. 

I'm sure MrGrimmmz fans are disappointed that he is associating with the man behind #tampongate.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

The part I forgot to add in my post, which relates about forgiving old mistakes. Wasn't H3H3 the people who had "sponsorship" from CSGO skin gambling site they partly owned? And did they come out and apologized before getting called out by anyone bigger? I don't think so. The irony is real.

So, if logic applies, they are just sad losers who don't deserve any mention. I'm disappointed that you dare to use them as source of anything. /s

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

4 hours ago, LinusTech said:

Wasn't in real life, it was in a video game (PUBG).

It was a youtube channel where they stream sniped popular streamers and they trolled the streamers in the game [by tracking their location from watching the live stream and following them around honking the car horn and otherwise harassing the streamer]. They recorded the Twitch streamers live stream and their reactions to being trolled, and then they edited together a bunch of clips [mostly from the twitch streamers stream] and uploaded it to Youtube as their own video.

The DMCA notice was because they were using the footage from his stream (which Grimmmz owns and has the rights to).

IANAL, however the video probably fell under Fair Use with the way they edited it, but it could probably be argued either way if you have a law degree and enough spare time. While they were reuploading his content to youtube without his permission and their video did contain his copyright content (which was probably covered by fair use), the reason why Grimmmz issued the takedown notice was because he was just pissed off about these people constantly stream sniping him and harassing him in game. He screwed up there and he was misusing the Youtube copyright system & DMCA takedown notices. Grimmmz did later retract the DMCA notice.

To be honest the only reason it was such a big deal at the time was because he issued it around the same time H3H3 won their 'Fair Use' legal battle, so everyone was up in arms about this sort of thing taking place and jumped on the outrage bandwagon. If it wasn't for that people probably wouldn't have cared that a youtube channel with less than 1k subscribers that trolls streamers and reuploads clips from twitch streams was issued with a copyright strike.

If anything Grimmmz screwed himself through the Streisand effect. By trying to take down the video and the surrounding controversy he made it far more popular than it would have ever otherwise been.

In my opinion this is just another example of how shitty Youtube's copyright system is and how open to abuse it is. There's plenty of other worse examples of this sort of abuse (Alinity? Pokimane? idk I don't keep up with that shit).

I don't care much for Grimmmz, I don't find him entertaining and there's plenty of other better streamers out there that I'd rather spend my time watching, but I do look forward to seeing him and Shroud collaborate with Linus in the upcoming video. The video with Gavin from the Slow Mo guys was pretty cool so I expect this upcoming video to be pretty good as well, especially after how it was hyped up on the WAN show. Do I care that one of the people in the video was involved in some internet drama controversy years ago? Hell no. That sort of mindset is best left on twitter or reddit or wherever people go these days to be triggered & outraged. Like Linus said, it's not going to affect the results of the tests.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Can anyone link me to the whole story? Since in 2019 any joke or statement remotely unpopular (racist/sexist/overall not LGBT-women-immigrant supporting) is slandered as "toxic" or "unethical" and lynched on social media, consider this coming from a mexican in case anyone wants to point fingers at the racist bigot xd

1 hour ago, Kyatto said:

Can anyone link me to the whole story? Since in 2019 any joke or statement remotely unpopular (racist/sexist/overall not LGBT-women-immigrant supporting) is slandered as "toxic" or "unethical" and lynched on social media, consider this coming from a mexican in case anyone wants to point fingers at the racist bigot xd

This didn't happen in 2019.

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

13 hours ago, LinusTech said:

I am also disappointed that he abused the copyright system for this. But I think, that you have to differentiate between the person and the player grimmmz.

For example the person Micheal Jackson might have done something bad, but that doesn't make his music worse.

Just like that, his personal decisions in the past don't make him a worse player.

(I'm sorry if my english is not so good. I'm from Germany ? )

Main System: Broken because I'm stupid.