Samson SR850 vs Philips SHP9500

Dreadnought

I know I know, the SHP9500 cost twice as much, but is it worth the price premium?

7 hours ago, Dreadnought said:

I know I know, the SHP9500 cost twice as much, but is it worth the price premium?

Worth depends on the user, many audiophiles would say yes, but personally I would say look at other options as well like the Sennheiser HD 559 and the sivga series

Samsons are great, Philips do have better fidelity but whether it sounds better or not in terms of frequency response is purely dependent on your tastes.

If possible I would try out the Sennheiser HD 5-- series. Also look at which is most comfortable and what you can afford. If you can listen to them in person, then do it and you decide if it's worth the extra money for you.

16 hours ago, rice guru said:

Worth depends on the user, many audiophiles would say yes, but personally I would say look at other options as well like the Sennheiser HD 559 and the sivga series

The HD 559 isn't available in Indonesia, and not in AliExpress either ?

15 hours ago, Tarun10 said:

Samsons are great, Philips do have better fidelity but whether it sounds better or not in terms of frequency response is purely dependent on your tastes.

If possible I would try out the Sennheiser HD 5-- series. Also look at which is most comfortable and what you can afford. If you can listen to them in person, then do it and you decide if it's worth the extra money for you.

The SR850 and SHP9500 aren't available in my city, so unfortunately I can't try them in person, I can only buy it online. But they have Corsair HS50 and Sennheiser HD599, so I can try them, and I think the HS50 is more comfortable but the HD599 definitely has better sound quality. The HS50 is fairly priced at $50 and the HD599 is horribly overpriced at $320, and when I checked my local online shop, they are indeed selling the HD599 at around $300, wtf.

8 minutes ago, Dreadnought said:

The SR850 and SHP9500 aren't available in my city, so unfortunately I can't try them in person, I can only buy it online. But they have Corsair HS50 and Sennheiser HD599, so I can try them, and I think the HS50 is more comfortable but the HD599 definitely has better sound quality. The HS50 is fairly priced at $50 and the HD599 is horribly overpriced at $320, and when I checked my local online shop, they are indeed selling the HD599 at around $300, wtf.

Looks like Indonesia has the same situation as India in terms of pricing.

If online retailers allow returns on unboxed products, you could get both then send one back. Don't get the HD series for 300$ that's not worth it.

I couldn't try on ATH-M40X before I got them either but I looked at a lot of reviews on YouTube and forum posts on reddit and LTT and tons of articles.

ZReviews on YouTube talks a bit about comfort but some people disagree with his view on sound quality.

On 10/19/2019 at 7:33 AM, Dreadnought said:

The Philips SHP9500 is the most overrated headphone! They have harsh highs and very little bass. They make music sound anemic and fatiguing. They're not that detailed considering they're open-back nature and airy sound signature. I actually found myself enjoying the technically "inferior" AKG K92 more, just based on sound signature. 

You can buy the Sennheiser HD5-- series with your eyes closed. They sound "just right" in my book: very smooth, relaxing with enough bass and detail. But for $300 you're overpaying by $150. What do you have available? 

1 hour ago, kokakolia said:

The Philips SHP9500 is the most overrated headphone! They have harsh highs and very little bass. They make music sound anemic and fatiguing. They're not that detailed considering they're open-back nature and airy sound signature. I actually found myself enjoying the technically "inferior" AKG K92 more, just based on sound signature. 

You can buy the Sennheiser HD5-- series with your eyes closed. They sound "just right" in my book: very smooth, relaxing with enough bass and detail. But for $300 you're overpaying by $150. What do you have available? 

Takstar Pro 82 ($71), Superflux HD668 ($43), ATH-MX20 ($43), Corsair HS50 ($50), Razer Kraken X ($50)

9 hours ago, Tarun10 said:

Looks like Indonesia has the same situation as India in terms of pricing.

If online retailers allow returns on unboxed products, you could get both then send one back. Don't get the HD series for 300$ that's not worth it.

I couldn't try on ATH-M40X before I got them either but I looked at a lot of reviews on YouTube and forum posts on reddit and LTT and tons of articles.

ZReviews on YouTube talks a bit about comfort but some people disagree with his view on sound quality.

Do you like your MX40?

2 minutes ago, Dreadnought said:

Takstar Pro 82 ($71), Superflux HD668 ($43), ATH-MX20 ($43), Corsair HS50 ($50), Razer Kraken X ($50)

My vote is for the takstar pro 82 much more comfortable than the m40x and arguably better sound but honestly they play on the same level of fidelity only differences are sound signatures, soundstage , and imaging

17 hours ago, rice guru said:

My vote is for the takstar pro 82 much more comfortable than the m40x and arguably better sound but honestly they play on the same level of fidelity only differences are sound signatures, soundstage , and imaging

Nvm, I'm getting the Coolermaster MH751, just watched Z's review, they're basically Takstar Pro 82 but even more comfortable, has a wider sound stage, and really good mic.

Edited by Dreadnought

18 hours ago, Dreadnought said:

Only buy the Superlux HD668 if you’re a masochist. These things are treble nukes. 

I have no experience with the rest of the lineup. But I always hear good things about the Takstar. 

21 hours ago, rice guru said:

M40X is a great step up in fidelity for any audiophile just getting into gear but it hasn't got the best soundstage or imaging. Comfort is pretty bad with stock earpads too.

9 minutes ago, Tarun10 said:

M40X is a great step up in fidelity for any audiophile just getting into gear but it hasn't got the best soundstage or imaging. Comfort is pretty bad with stock earpads too.

I was just saying it plays in the same field as the takstar pro 82 which is a similarly priced headphone. The m40x is a good headphone don't get me wrong but the sound quality very much reflects the price which is a good thing.

2 minutes ago, rice guru said:

I was just saying it plays in the same field as the takstar pro 82 which is a similarly priced headphone. The m40x is a good headphone don't get me wrong but the sound quality very much reflects the price which is a good thing.

Yeah I got that, didn't get you wrong. Nice setup. Are the DT990 as good as people say they are? Would it be a worthwhile upgrade over the M40X?

30 minutes ago, Tarun10 said:

Yeah I got that, didn't get you wrong. Nice setup. Are the DT990 as good as people say they are? Would it be a worthwhile upgrade over the M40X?

depends on what your looking for the 990 is a decent step up in fidelityu and resolution but it's a bid sound signature chane you will get meatier mid bass aas well as sharper highs often too much for many people. It's fine for me as  I just use it for games. games is where this thing shines the imaging on it is reat and very precise mixed with a nice wide sound stage really makes it great for gaming. but if you want something closer to the m40x isn sound signature I would say look at the he 4xx or d 58x as the lean closer to a more neutral sound signature. 

1 minute ago, rice guru said:

depends on what your looking for the 990 is a decent step up in fidelityu and resolution but it's a bid sound signature chane you will get meatier mid bass aas well as sharper highs often too much for many people. It's fine for me as  I just use it for games. games is where this thing shines the imaging on it is really and very precise mixed with a nice wide sound stage really makes it great for gaming. but if you want something closer to the m40x in sound signature I would say look at the he 4xx or d 58x as the lean closer to a more neutral sound signature. 

16 hours ago, rice guru said:

The CM MH751 and Phillips SHP9500 have the same price ($70), if you were to buy either of those, which one would you prefer?

2 hours ago, Dreadnought said:

The CM MH751 and Phillips SHP9500 have the same price ($70), if you were to buy either of those, which one would you prefer?

MH 751.

1. I dont need another oopenback

2. It leans closer to my preferred sound signature.

That's just me though. The shps are better for gaming but if you want something that satisfies both you music and gaming needs the cooler masters are the way to go

23 hours ago, rice guru said:

MH 751.

1. I dont need another oopenback

2. It leans closer to my preferred sound signature.

That's just me though. The shps are better for gaming but if you want something that satisfies both you music and gaming needs the cooler masters are the way to go

Well shit my bad, what if you don't have any open back headphones yet? I've never used an open back headphone before, I've been using various $10 earphone and speakers for quite a long time

24 minutes ago, Dreadnought said:

Well shit my bad, what if you don't have any open back headphones yet? I've never used an open back headphone before, I've been using various $10 earphone and speakers for quite a long time

For me still the cooler masters the shos are better for gaming but if I don't have any other headphone I would prefer to have a good all rounder and the cooler masters to be are a better all rounder good for gaming as well as music. So are the shps but the lack of bass kills it for me.

Just now, rice guru said:

For me still the cooler masters the shos are better for gaming but if I don't have any other headphone I would prefer to have a good all rounder and the cooler masters to be are a better all rounder good for gaming as well as music. So are the shps but the lack of bass kills it for me.

Alright thanks, now I'm even more convinced to get the MH751.

18 minutes ago, Dreadnought said:

Alright thanks, now I'm even more convinced to get the MH751.

I will say the shps overall are the better headphone technically wider soundstage mbetter detail retention and slightly better imaging but out of the 2 considering the type of music I listen to personally mostly hip hop the mh 751 would be what I would go for personally

1 hour ago, rice guru said:

I will say the shps overall are the better headphone technically wider soundstage mbetter detail retention and slightly better imaging but out of the 2 considering the type of music I listen to personally mostly hip hop the mh 751 would be what I would go for personally

If I were to get the SHP9500, do you think these vmoda boompro copies are worth getting? Because the original cost $40, while this is only $12 and has good reviews.

Link: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32819487672.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.78852e0eMF8sKN

14 hours ago, Dreadnought said:

If I were to get the SHP9500, do you think these vmoda boompro copies are worth getting? Because the original cost $40, while this is only $12 and has good reviews.

Link: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32819487672.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.78852e0eMF8sKN

Don't know how they sound so can't say