Smoke from GTX 660ti

exraytedExra
Go to solution Solved by Vishera,
Just now, exraytedExra said:

Any idea what may have caused this? It seems like if it was bad before I tried using it it would have already been burnt up. I have other gpus to put in its place I just don't want to risk burning up another one.

600W on the 12V rail,OEM is ATNG,That's an old and crap PSU,

The card was probably bad before you bought it,

The PSU is probably not the cause but it's borderline sketchy.

I picked up a used GTX 660ti and when I tried to power it up for the first time a puff of smoke came out of it. I haven't taken the card apart yet but I think I've narrowed it down as to what burnt up. Im using a rosewill 630w green series PSU to power it. Not sure what caused this or how to proceed. Can that component be replaced and resoldered in place or should I just scrap it and not risk damaging other components? Any advise at all on what to do next would be greatly appreciated. I've completely gutted my case and inspected all the rest of the components  and I don't see anything else of concern. I first thought maybe that the PSU had a cap blow but I completely tore that down and could not find anything wrong with it. I have not plugged anything back in nor tested any of the other components individually. Where do I start with the least risk of more damage. Thanks!20191018_221611.thumb.jpg.5bbe99ec44a05ba6c6caa3f9e8aec3cc.jpg

rip

CPU:R9 3900x@4.5Ghz RAM:Vengeance Pro LPX @ 3200mhz MOBO:MSI Tomohawk B350 GPU:PNY GTX 1080 XLR8

DRIVES:500GB Samsung 970 Pro + Patriot Blast 480GB x2 + 12tb RAID10 NAS

MONITORS:Pixio PX329 32inch 1440p 165hz, LG 34UM68-p 1080p 75hz

Anyway that component can be easily replaced,you just need a replacement that has the same specs and of good quality.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

Any idea what may have caused this? It seems like if it was bad before I tried using it it would have already been burnt up. I have other gpus to put in its place I just don't want to risk burning up another one.

Just now, exraytedExra said:

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

19 minutes ago, Vishera said:

I appreciate the replies, thank you. By today's standards  all of the components in this build are crap and old. Haha. I'm currently using this build to host MAME in my stand up cabinet to run arcade classics so it doesnt need to be a workhorse. I was just hoping for a small upgrade to run some newer games.