Proposed Settlement for Class Action Lawsuit against AMD regarding the FX CPUs is now accepting claims: Customers could recieve up to $300

SOURCES:
PCGamer Article 

Second PCGamer Article

AMD Class Action Lawsuit Site

A Class Action Lawsuit from 2015 against AMD over the misleading labeling of their FX CPUs as 8-Core Chips is finally accepting claims for a proposed settlement

A proposed class action settlement over AMD's outdated Bulldozer and Piledriver CPUs is now accepting claims. Those who qualify could receive up to $300, though there are some caveats to discuss.

In August, AMD Agreed to come to a settlement over the lawsuit regarding misleadingly advertising the FX Chips as 8-Core CPUs when architecturally they could be classified as 4-Core CPUs

In total, AMD has agreed to pay out $12.1 million, regardless of how many people participate. Lawyer fees and other costs will whittle down the amount that actually gets doled out to participants.

... The, uh, core issue that led to the class action is AMD having labeled and advertised the affected models as 8-core CPUs. However, the underlying architectures used dual-core modules, each containing two independent ALUs and a shared FPU—the cores did not operate independently of one another.

However one of the caveats to the settlement is that only customers who purchased an FX CPU while residing in California, or purchased it on AMD's website, are eligible for a claim.

The biggest one is the place of purchase. Per the settlement's terms, only customers who purchased certain CPU models "while residing in California or after visiting AMD.com" are eligible. 

If you live in California and purchased an AMD FX CPU, or you purchased an AMD FX CPU on AMD's website, you have until January 3, 2020 to file a claim

My PC Setup:

Spoiler

The PC:

Case: Cougar Solution ATX Mid Tower

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-1620v3

Mobo: AsRock x99 Extreme4

RAM: 12GB (3x4GB) GeiL DDR4 2133MHz

GPU: AMD Radeon RX 580 4GB MSI Armor OC

PSU: EVGA 80+ 500w

Storage: Toshiba P300 1TB HDD + Hitachi HDS721016CLA382 160GB HDD (with the classic messy partition table)

Cooling: Zalman CNPS10X Extreme

Etc: LG Lite-On DVD+R Burner (i use optical media all the time for vintage computers, it's not dead yet! hell, floppy drive in here too but can't plug it into x99 :()

Outside the case:

Monitors (left to right):  Dell E176FP + Samsung Syncmaster 2253BW + AOC G2260VWQ6 Freesync

Keyboard: Lexmark (IBM) Model M-122

Mouse: Logitech G402

Headset: Samson SR850

DAC: Digidesign Mbox 2 Mini

Mic: Realistic Cardioid 33-992a

Main Laptop: 2009 Macbook (Recycling Haul)
Streaming Laptop: 2013 Samsung Series 7 Ultra 740U

5 minutes ago, syloui said:

However one of the caveats to the settlement is that only customers who purchased an FX CPU while residing in California, or purchased it on AMD's website, are eligible for a claim.

Well FRICK.

This may be one class action suit in which people actually get the potential dollar amount promised instead of 1/100 of the amount.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

I bought one 5 years ago but i am not meeting the requirements for a claim :(

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

Just now, rcmaehl said:

Well FRICK

Right, I was unfortunately lucky enough to have a Microcenter near where I lived when I bought mine in 2016... If only I bought it online...

My PC Setup:

Spoiler

The PC:

Case: Cougar Solution ATX Mid Tower

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-1620v3

Mobo: AsRock x99 Extreme4

RAM: 12GB (3x4GB) GeiL DDR4 2133MHz

GPU: AMD Radeon RX 580 4GB MSI Armor OC

PSU: EVGA 80+ 500w

Storage: Toshiba P300 1TB HDD + Hitachi HDS721016CLA382 160GB HDD (with the classic messy partition table)

Cooling: Zalman CNPS10X Extreme

Etc: LG Lite-On DVD+R Burner (i use optical media all the time for vintage computers, it's not dead yet! hell, floppy drive in here too but can't plug it into x99 :()

Outside the case:

Monitors (left to right):  Dell E176FP + Samsung Syncmaster 2253BW + AOC G2260VWQ6 Freesync

Keyboard: Lexmark (IBM) Model M-122

Mouse: Logitech G402

Headset: Samson SR850

DAC: Digidesign Mbox 2 Mini

Mic: Realistic Cardioid 33-992a

Main Laptop: 2009 Macbook (Recycling Haul)
Streaming Laptop: 2013 Samsung Series 7 Ultra 740U

8 minutes ago, syloui said:

Right, I was unfortunately lucky enough to have a Microcenter near where I lived when I bought mine in 2016... If only I bought it online...

I share that feeling too,i wish it was worldwide.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

1 hour ago, syloui said:

--SNIP--

If you live in California and purchased an AMD FX CPU, or you purchased an AMD FX CPU on AMD's website, you have until January 3, 2020 to file a claim

1 hour ago, rcmaehl said:

This may be one class action suit in which people actually get the potential dollar amount promised instead of 1/100 of the amount.

48 minutes ago, Vishera said:

I share that feeling too,i wish it was worldwide.

Not quite - it says you must have either resided in California OR visited the AMD website, and I know for sure I definitely visited AMD.com at least one time (to update GPU and AMD chipset drivers) in the history of working with computers, so I qualify for claiming the four FX-8350 based computers I have purchased CPUs for in the last 7 years even though I don't live in California.

image.thumb.png.d094b0bdd0714bcbf49cf7853ae9149a.png

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Ah I remember AMD promoting the first consumer 8 core processor on their web site

I wonder how it will be in the future regarding what is actually considered a core. Like nothing shared resource wise and such, could be a mess. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

16 hours ago, Tedny said:

waiting lawsuit against Intel because they don't put cooler with their K series or because that cooler can't cool high end cpu at boost speeds 

I don't understand? 

Did Intel claim their CPU's came with a specific cooler?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

9 hours ago, Tedny said:

they expect you to use it 

They expect you to use a cooler they don't provide?  

I fail to see the false advertising in this.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Its a shame most people are never going to get close to 300$ back for their purchase. Unfortunately, that's just how lawsuits work in many cases. 

1 hour ago, thechinchinsong said:

Its a good job most people are never going to get close to 300$ back for their purchase. Fortunately, that's just how lawsuits work in many cases. 

There, I fixed that for you.

1 hour ago, Tedny said:

you can find something in there, if they found 8 cores cpu  non 8 cores cpu 

No I can't.  And it appears If there is something in there then no one else can explain it either.

we will see how this goes. turned in a claim for 2 8350's. thankfully tigerdirect still had my invoice from 2013 lol

How did this even happen....

*puts prosecutor on the stand*

AMD: Does the CPU have 8 compute cores?

Prosecutor: Yes, but...

AMD: No more questions your honor. 

I'm not a lawyer. 

EDIT: We should sue all OEM computer manufacturers for advertising dual core CPUS in the early 2000's as 4GHz  when they were 2GHz and also for listing the R295X2 as 8GB VRAM when only 4GB was usable when gaming. 

And Microsoft for Windows 8.

but its from a pool so the more people that claim it the less you get. thats why i never opt in for these kinds of claims because at the end you will end up getting like 2 dollars or something from so many people claiming so not worth the effort

So since i live in Norway and i bought that CPU through a third party seller, i cannot claim anything. This seems fair.

3 minutes ago, HomeBoi said:

So since i live in Norway and i bought that CPU through a third party seller, i cannot claim anything. This seems fair.

yep court rulings/settlements in america doesnt apply to other countries you probably should be more glad than sad that is the case

Just now, spartaman64 said:

yep court rulings/settlements in america doesnt apply to other countries you probably should be more glad than sad that is the case

As i recently had to go through Law in school, mainly focused on GDPR i am glad i live in Europe and not in US, US just refuses to work with GDPR on so many levels it hurts.

On 10/20/2019 at 6:03 PM, Curious Pineapple said:

There, I fixed that for you.

Why is it fortunate that people don't get back more money for their purchase if the product they bought was falsely advertised? That was my intention with the original reply.

9 hours ago, thechinchinsong said:

Why is it fortunate that people don't get back more money for their purchase if the product they bought was falsely advertised? That was my intention with the original reply.

But was it falsely advertised, and would small print stating that under certain circumstances a floating point operation may be delayed for a clock cycle really have been a deal breaker for everyone that bought one?

I bought a Pentium D and that thing was a crock of shit that couldnt run at 100% load as the FSB was a bottleneck, do I get a money back?

On 10/21/2019 at 5:11 AM, HomeBoi said:

US just refuses to work with GDPR on so many levels it hurts.

Probably because GDPR is a European law and the US is not in Europe ?‍♂️

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)