It sees you when you're sleeping, don't care if you're awake - Pixel 4 face unlock unlocks your phone regardless if the user is alert or alive

rcmaehl

I read the title to the tune of Santa Clause is coming to town. ??

On 10/19/2019 at 4:17 AM, NumLock21 said:

I assume it just scans your entire face and there is no iris scanning so it will unlock even with eyes close. Can someone test with their iPhones that uses FaceID.

Hey I tested this out this weekend (or had my gf test it out rather)

Wont ever ever ever unlock with my eyes closed.

Also doesn't unlock when my eyes are open and my face is in front of the phone and centered but i'm not looking directly at the phone. I actually see it unlock the moment I turn my sight to the phone.

Works pretty darn good, still unlocks in the dark, when i'm wearing a hoodie, when my face is partially covered because i am smoking and have my hand in front of my face,... Sunglasses make it not want to unlock though.

GAMING PC CPU: AMD 3800X Motherboard: Asus STRIX X570-E GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 3080 GAMING OC RAM: 16GB G.Skill 3600MHz/CL14  PSU: Corsair RM850x Case: NZXT MESHIFY 2 XL DARK TG Cooling: EK Velocity + D5 pump + 360mm rad + 280mm rad Monitor: AOC 27" QHD 144Hz Keyboard: Corsair K70 Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Elite Audio: Bose QC35 II
WHAT MY GF INHERITED CPU: Intel i7-6700K (4.7GHz @ 1.39v) Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro GPU: Asus GTX 1070 8GB RAM: 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury Hard Drive: WD Black NVMe SSD 512GB Power Supply: XFX PRO 550W  Cooling: Corsair H115i Case: NZXT H700 White

We can argue all day about whether biometric tech is good or bad or whatever, but my question is why didn't Google give us choice? Give the customers options in case they prefer one over the other? Like have iris scanning, face unlock, fingerprint and PIN/password...many different ways so customers can choose? Their newest phone seems to me to be forcing customers to use certain tech, kinda like removing the headphone jack. We're slowly being backed into a corner and our options are becoming fewer with each generation.

On 10/19/2019 at 1:30 AM, Brooksie359 said:

I don't even get this whole arms race of biometrics. I just use a pin and it seems to work fine. Also why in the world is everyone so freaked out about the security of their phone? I can't think of a single thing on my phone that I would be worried about if someone got ahold of it. 

I have mobile banking, plus all my contact information. I would be more concerned if it was a corporate phone, where this would be a greater concern