No Sata drives detected on ASRock z270M-ITX/AC

scrodoftw
Go to solution Solved by scrodoftw,

figured out my issue and i'm not happy to announce that that fault was on me.  in my rush I must have plugged the hard drives power into the PATA port on my power supply and over-volted the drives and killed them.  picked up new SSD's and they work fine, so sad day for me but a good reminder to always take my time and inspect what i'm doing

Full Parts list here: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/scrodo/saved/JJJ6hM

I just moved my system over to a new case and did some other upgrades and now i'm not seeing any SATA connected drives in Windows or Bios.  I've tried removing the HDD's (power and data), changing the ports that the SSD's are connected, and have tried a different cable (currently they all are connected with Cable Mod Sata Cables).  The NVME M.2 is a new drive added to the system and is working fine as a boot drive, the system used to boot from an SSD which is no longer installed.  

I have not tested the drives outside of the system yet, need to find my sata dock, and have not tried updating the bios yet either.  I have verified in Bios that SATA is enabled, but no drives are dectected besides the M.2.

Any suggestions or insight? did adding the NVME drive have anything to do with SATA not working.

Yes, check your MOBO manual because most will disable some SATA ports to give enough badwidth to M.2 drives. All you have to do is plug into the SATA ports that aren't disabled.

I did look through the manual and it said that if it's an SATA M.2 it would disable a SATA port, but mine is NVME and i've tested other ports to no joy

When you say it's an NVME M.2, is it one that plugs into your PCIe slot, or the M.2 slot?

Then I guarantee you have a group of SATA ports that are disabled. Have you tried plugging the drives into another computer?

i'm going to, trying to find my sata dock.  i figured it would disable something, but didn't think it would take out all 4 SATA ports

Ah, did some scrounging on the asrock forums and apparently someone had the same issue until they updated their BIOS, so try that too.

Looks like BIOS didn't resolve it.  still waiting to hear back from ASRock support, first response was simply "have you tried another port"

figured out my issue and i'm not happy to announce that that fault was on me.  in my rush I must have plugged the hard drives power into the PATA port on my power supply and over-volted the drives and killed them.  picked up new SSD's and they work fine, so sad day for me but a good reminder to always take my time and inspect what i'm doing

• 4 years later...

OK, it's 2024. I am going to say that this solution is BS. Replacing hhd's is not a solution. Maybe is was for them but that is not my case. I have tested my HHD via USB and it works as should. but through SATA, it doesnt show up in BIOS nor in Windows 10. I have a AsRock z270 killer sli/ac, where my hhd's worked fine. My motherboard took a dump on me after a deep cleaning. So I replaced it with an Identical motherboard. I updated the BIOS and put a new battery in the CMOS. Every thing works except for my HHD's. 

With that said, smaller ssd's does show up when plugged in. I have 10T hard drives that are not showing up. I wouldn't think size would be an issue. I have also tried different cables in different SATA slots. 

Would it be a motherboard / hhd compatibility issue? I would love to hear some thoughts. YES, my pc is getting old. Build me a PC Linus!