iPhones get free unlimited storage on Google Photos at original quality, while Pixel 4 gets left behind (Updated)

Source: https://9to5mac.com/2019/10/17/google-photos-iphone-loophole-free-unlimited-storage-orig-quality/

In a stupidly funny news today, Google Photos automatically store images from iPhones at original quality because trying to compress HEIC/HEIF images (the format modern iPhones have been defaulting to for years now) actually increases the size of the file

With all modern iPhones shooting photos in HEIC format, which is smaller than even Googles compressed JPG files, iPhones therefore get free unlimited ORIGINAL quality backups simply because it would cost Google both storage space (because if Google tried to compress iPhones HEIC photos they would actually become larger) and computing power (because Google doesn’t need to compress and process all of the billions of photos iPhones backup.)

So Apple is literally saving Google millions of dollars by shooting their photos in HEIC and it benefits iPhone users as well because we get free original quality backups.

If HEIC/HEIF indeed takes up much lower space compared to traditional jpeg, I can't possibly understand why Google hasn't already shifted to HEIF and HEVC by default on android. I'm aware of the licensing stuff, but if Apple's able to do it, google should also be able to. They could save so much storage space if they did shift, especially since Google Photos has turned into defacto photo back up software.

Nonetheless, it's still quite hilarious especially since Pixel 4 was curiously dropped out of this highlight service

Edit: Since Galaxy S10 and Note10 users also have the option to save images in HEIF (not default I think), even you guys will get unlimited storage at full res

In Google photos it lists 2 back up options -

High Quality (free unlimited storage)

Great visual quality at reduced file size

And 

Original (8GB quota)

Full resolution that counts against your quota

Which of these use HEIC, or is it both and they just don't tell you that the back up is the same format?

I don't really understand what Google is trying to achieve with the Pixel line-up, anyway. They're not competitive enough to gain any sort of considerable market share on either end of the price spectrum, and it always seems as though their hardware comes with a big questionmark while still costing as much as their premium competitors. This just seems like icing on the cake that is a lack of any concrete vision for the product. If it's not even tightly integrated on the software side, what is its selling point?

Evan aside from the format shenanigans the pixel device should get native res storage, like, come on.

But what makes this even more stupid is google also has a modern image format superior to jpg: webp.  Why not just use that!?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

The real irony is using Google photos when you're using an Apple device.

Because iCloud only comes with 5GB free. Though admittedly, iCloud is really affordable if you do decide to upgrade space. 50GB is 1€ a month, 200GB is 3€ a month, 2TB is 10€ a month. I've seen many data storage plans and they are absolutely ridiculous most of the time. Only other reasonable were Xiaomi and pCloud. Everyone else charge per GB like they are selling freaking gold...

4 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Because iCloud only comes with 5GB free. Though admittedly, iCloud is really affordable if you do decide to upgrade space. 50GB is 1€ a month, 200GB is 3€ a month, 2TB is 10€ a month. I've seen many data storage plans and they are absolutely ridiculous most of the time. Only other reasonable were Xiaomi and pCloud. Everyone else charge per GB like they are selling freaking gold...

Google drive:

15gb free

100gb 2€/month

200gb 3€/month

2tb 10€/month

10tb 100€/month

20tb 200€/month

And as soon as you start paying you are eligible for a free google home assistant speaker

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Just now, suicidalfranco said:

Google drive:

15gb free

100gb 2€/month

200gb 3€/month

2tb 10€/month

10tb 100€/month

20tb 200€/month

And as soon as you start paying you are eligible for a free google home assistant speaker

Paying for Google stuff doesn't exclude you from data hoarding, so there's that still...

17 minutes ago, Kaloob said:

Pixel 4 doesn't get unlimited photo backups? News to me.

No they don't. It's been the one of the weirdest things about the new Pixel device, among other things

16 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

In Google photos it lists 2 back up options -

High Quality (free unlimited storage)

Great visual quality at reduced file size

And 

Original (8GB quota)

Full resolution that counts against your quota

Which of these use HEIC, or is it both and they just don't tell you that the back up is the same format?

You opt for High Quality. But the images ends up uploading to the servers untouched because any attempt at compressing HEIF, just increases the file size, which defeats the purpose. So they get backed up in full quality.

14 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

The real irony is using Google photos when you're using an Apple device.

Sure, because using Google service on an iPhone is the greatest sin someone could possibly do. Aren't you tired of hating on Apple and Apple users for like no reason? If Apple offered unlimited iCloud backup on android, i'm sure people would be using iCloud instead. But they won't and Google does offer (with ulterior motive of training their AI), so it is what it is

15 minutes ago, rawrdaysgoby said:

if only... it had an headphone jack...

No phones have those anymore... It's an end of an era

1 minute ago, RejZoR said:

Paying for Google stuff doesn't exclude you from data hoarding, so there's that still...

tenor.gif

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

24 minutes ago, Kaloob said:

Pixel 4 doesn't get unlimited photo backups? News to me. Would be cool if other smartphone manufacturers switched to HEIF and HEVC so everyone gets free unlimited original quality backups. Then again Google may want to hold off so they can charge people for drive storage.

with google photos if you choose unlimited it backs up your photos at 1080p which imo is good enough for me since i only take photos to keep records or show my friends something i found interesting. if i want to take high quality photos ill grab a DSLR

24 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Evan aside from the format shenanigans the pixel device should get native res storage, like, come on.

But what makes this even more stupid is google also has a modern image format superior to jpg: webp.  Why not just use that!?

I would say the lack of support. Even some browsers (even Safari I think) have a hard time displaying webp images.

17 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Yeah only having 5GB is dumb, but 50GB should be more than enough for photos. I use Google photos,and backup stuff on a microSD in the phone.

8 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

Sure, because using Google service on an iPhone is the greatest sin someone could possibly do. Aren't you tired of hating on Apple and Apple users for like no reason? If Apple offered unlimited iCloud backup on android, i'm sure people would be using iCloud instead. But they won't and Google does offer (with ulterior motive of training their AI), so it is what it is

Apple could totally give you more free storage, 5GB is ridiculous nowadays,and giving you 50GB wouldn't lose them any money. Not for no reason though, the privacy argument always gets brought up regarding Google and I find it ironic people concerned enough to get an iPhone are just throwing their personal photos up on Google photos.

Just now, IAmAndre said:

I would say the lack of support. Even some browsers (even Safari I think) have a hard time displaying webp images.

It's true that it's not well supported, but the same can be said about Apple's format, probably to an even higher degree.  No browser I've tried has struggled with webp, in fact they're most likely to work compared with built-in image viewers in my experience.  With that said it wouldn't surprise me at all if safari had issues, that's just how it is lol lacking format support is something of a distinguishing feature for them.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

35 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

Source: https://9to5mac.com/2019/10/17/google-photos-iphone-loophole-free-unlimited-storage-orig-quality/

In a stupidly funny news today, Google Photos automatically store images from iPhones at original quality because trying to compress HEIC/HEIF images (the format modern iPhones have been defaulting to for years now) actually increases the size of the file

If HEIC/HEIF indeed takes up much lower space compared to traditional jpeg, I can't possibly understand why Google hasn't already shifted to HEIF and HEVC by default on android. I'm aware of the licensing stuff, but if Apple's able to do it, google should also be able to. They could save so much storage space if they did shift, especially since Google Photos has turned into defacto photo back up software.

Nonetheless, it's still quite hilarious especially since Pixel 4 was curiously dropped out of this highlight service

they probably dont use HEIC by default because not much supports it yet. you should be glad that google doesnt just convert it to a JPG and store it at 1080p like they do with everyone else :P

10 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

No phones have those anymore... It's an end of an era

I just looked at a 5 or 6 in my local and they all had them. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

It's true that it's not well supported, but the same can be said about Apple's format, probably to an even higher degree.  No browser I've tried has struggled with webp, in fact they're most likely to work compared with built-in image viewers in my experience.  With that said it wouldn't surprise me at all if safari had issues, that's just how it is lol lacking format support is something of a distinguishing feature for them.

I've felt very awkward when working on a website and the client wasn't able to view their logo. I'm staying away from webp for now!

2 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

I've felt very awkward when working on a website and the client wasn't able to view their logo. I'm staying away from webp for now!

Yeah for sure it's not ready for mainstream adoption which is a shame because it is better and, despite being so much newer, is not even really that new anymore.  Like, we've had enough time, it should have been picked up by now.  Oh well, hopefully something will catch on one day.  In the mean time, it's not such a big deal for something like a logo, using a PNG isn't going to break bank, it's more of a benefit on photos where you might have hundreds of images saving a couple MB each.

18 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

with google photos if you choose unlimited it backs up your photos at 1080p which imo is good enough for me since i only take photos to keep records or show my friends something i found interesting. if i want to take high quality photos ill grab a DSLR

The unlimited storage is enough for me, its quicker to share photos at 1080p. And if you set it to original quality you still get 15GB shared between Google Drive,Gmail,and Photos.

20 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

tenor.gif

LMAO. How am I moving goal post? Everything you do or store is used by google to fiddle with their algorithms and shit and they use it all to make billions by selling all this shit to 3rd parties. Apple is mostly doing it to improve their services so they can sell more of their services to users. Google is just doing it to attract more people who want free shit because they live off selling shit to 3rd parties. So they need as many users who want free shit to sell as many shit to 3rd parties. It's not really a secret of their MO at this point. But hey, whatever bloats your float...

1 minute ago, RejZoR said:

LMAO. How am I moving goal post? Everything you do or store is used by google to fiddle with their algorithms and shit and they use it all to make billions by selling all this shit to 3rd parties. Apple is mostly doing it to improve their services so they can sell more of their services to users. Google is just doing it to attract more people who want free shit because they live off selling shit to 3rd parties. So they need as many users who want free shit to sell as many shit to 3rd parties. It's not really a secret of their MO at this point. But hey, whatever bloats your float...

moving it so far you left the stadium chief

48 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Because Google knows WebP is a format with dubious usefulness, hardware and software-wise. Hell, WebM is hardly a container format with actual usefulness outside of a web browser. 

The same could be said for HEIC, but at least Apple makes an effort to support it with their hardware to make it more useful than JPEG.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.