Failed to format the harddrive by accidentally not keeping windows installed on it.

Smiles4Miles

I have a laptop that just didnt want to boot, then went into recovery mode. It now has no boot option. I have my main pc, and it has a windows usb thing, but idk if I can take that out and my main pc still be useable. I was wondering if I can use the usb, and plug it into my laptop to get it to go in and be able to boot up. I cant get into bios either.

35 minutes ago, Smiles4Miles said:

I have a laptop that just didnt want to boot, then went into recovery mode. It now has no boot option. I have my main pc, and it has a windows usb thing, but idk if I can take that out and my main pc still be useable. I was wondering if I can use the usb, and plug it into my laptop to get it to go in and be able to boot up. I cant get into bios either.

Are you trying to recover the existing Windows installation on the Laptop? Or are you just trying to get the laptop working again?

In either case, you should grab (or buy) a spare USB Drive (8GB minimum recommended), and on your working PC, downloading the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool. Run the tool, point it to the spare USB drive, and create a Windows 10 USB Installer.

Once that's done, you have two choices:

1. Attempt to repair the existing install via the Windows 10 USB Drive

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/boot-or-repair-windows-10-using-the-installation-media

Boot from the USB Drive, and select "Repair your computer".

Disclaimer: This can only fix some issues.

If the repair install fails, you can further troubleshoot, or

2. You can simply wipe the HDD in the laptop clean and do a fresh install (recommended).

Use the same USB drive we created above to perform a fresh install. Make sure to delete all existing partitions if you choose to do this.

Disclaimer: Doing a fresh install will wipe all your files. If there's anything important on the laptop, backup the data first using a bootable Linux recovery disk and copying any important data to a USB drive or another HDD.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

Are you trying to recover the existing Windows installation on the Laptop? Or are you just trying to get the laptop working again?

In either case, you should grab (or buy) a spare USB Drive (8GB minimum recommended), and on your working PC, downloading the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool. Run the tool, point it to the spare USB drive, and create a Windows 10 USB Installer.

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/boot-or-repair-windows-10-using-the-installation-media

2. You can simply wipe the HDD in the laptop clean and do a fresh install (recommended).

Use the same USB drive we created above to perform a fresh install. Make sure to delete all existing partitions if you choose to do this.

Disclaimer: Doing a fresh install will wipe all your files. If there's anything important on the laptop, backup the data first using a bootable Linux recovery disk and copying any important data to a USB drive or another HDD.

Yeah I wiped it in cmd prompt then the tutorial inline siad to restart the pc, but it was for secondary drives, and I realized that after. It's completely wiped, so I want to to just work again. Thanks.

11 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Thanks. I just did it now and it works nicely.

6 minutes ago, Smiles4Miles said:

Thanks. I just did it now and it works nicely.

Awesome! Glad to hear. Let us know if you have any questions. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

Awesome! Glad to hear. Let us know if you have any questions. 

I dont, but thank you so much again. I need it for school if the laptops at school are out.