Is a 620W PSU enough for a RX5700 XT?

AlexBm

and one more question guys, in case i would return the seasonic PSU, what it would be a good pick for this build? The Corsair CX650 or CX750? (i prefer at least 650W)

1 minute ago, AlexBm said:

and one more question guys, in case i would return the seasonic PSU, what it would be a good pick for this build? The Corsair CX650 or CX750? (i prefer at least 650W)

a good 550W is fine like a TXm,RMx,Pure Power 11,Bitfenix Formula Gold,Cougar GX-F, etc

6 minutes ago, Xclav said:

That's not how you measure PSU requirements.?‍♂️

It seems to have worked fine for me until now. But please, tell me how. I'm interested to know :) 

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2 minutes ago, Oalei said:

a good 550W is fine like a TXm,RMx,Pure Power 11,Bitfenix Formula Gold,Cougar GX-F, etc

ok... but i was asking about CX ones....

21 minutes ago, AlexBm said:

ok... but i was asking about CX ones....

You'll never need 750W on a mainstream gaming rig.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 hour ago, AlexBm said:

can you please explain why this S12II PSU isnt good? i really need that .... i dont know if i should return it or not...

43 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

@OrionFOTL Is likely the best person at forum to explain this sort of thing if he has the available time.

And therein lies the problem.  They don't really know anything about the S12II.  They were told it was bad and they just keep repeating that same nonsense.  Its group think, not analysis.  That's why they have to pass it off to someone else when you ask why.  You should already know why if your going to advise for or against something.  This has been a problem for a while on this board. 

The CX is a great unit, but It's in the same class.  It has different strengths and weaknesses, but its around the performance level. If you send it back, get an Corsair RMx or Seasonic focus.  Those are actually better PSU's, but they are also more expensive.

4 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

doesnt it lack OTP and its rated with the standard seasonic rating of 40*C ambient? 

Yes and no.  Seasonic rates it at 40c, but it gets a 50c upgrade at 80% load or under.  However, that is a conservative rating for that unit.  If you don't believe me, Antec and PC Power & Cooling used to uprate them to 50c with no temperature modifications. And they cared about quality in those days.

its kinda slowly slowly falling in recent years as the S12ii design is getting old. 

That has nothing to do with reliability.  It has been moving down the food chain over the years as better units have come out, but it started out as a $120 psu.   It had a lot of wiggle room. The only true budget PSU's that can compete with it are the CX and the Bitfenix.  All other units cut too many corners or belong to a higher class.

s12iii is certainly a nicer unit for very budget systems. 

Not only do I disagree with you, so does seasonic, who has the S12II above the S12III, but below the Focus.  But what does the manufacturer know?

7 minutes ago, FALC0N said:

All other units cut too many corners.

system power 9 is fairly okay, tho not cheap everywhere. and from what i can gather the VS has many of the same issues as the S12ii which would put it within competition of the S12ii. 

8 minutes ago, FALC0N said:

Not only do I disagree with you, so does seasonic, who has the S12II above the S12III, but below the Focus.  But what does the manufacturer know?

they fixed issues with the s12ii with the s12iii...... so its practically a better PSU in most regards. 

10 minutes ago, FALC0N said:

Yes and no.  Seasonic rates it at 40c, but it gets a 50c upgrade at 80% load or under. 

so not at 80% and above. not the end of the world by any means. mostly just a footnote. 

11 minutes ago, FALC0N said:

If you don't believe me, Antec and PC Power & Cooling used to uprate them to 50c with no temperature modifications.

no i can believe the unit ran in hotboxes exceeding 50*C. issue is then lack of OTP, which isnt great in a lot of scenarios, mostly in unmaintained systems or if you are unlucky to receive a faulty fan. 

12 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

system power 9 is fairly okay, tho not cheap everywhere. and from what i can gather the VS has many of the same issues as the S12ii which would put it within competition of the S12ii. 

The system 9 loses every category except voltage regulation.  The VS loses every category period.  That type of flim flam analysis just highlights how far off the mark the narrative on this board has been.  The VS isn't even meant to compete against it.  It targets a lower market segment.

they fixed issues with the s12ii with the s12iii...... so its practically a better PSU in most regards. 

Again, the S12III wins one category against the S12II.  And as I pointed out, the Manufacturer of both units agrees with me. 

so not at 80% and above. not the end of the world by any means. mostly just a footnote. 

no i can believe the unit ran in hotboxes exceeding 50*C. issue is then lack of OTP, which isnt great in a lot of scenarios, mostly in unmaintained systems or if you are unlucky to receive a faulty fan. 

Stop with this pathological obsession with protection circuits.   It didn't need OTP for last decade and a half.  It isn't going to start now just because you want to be OCD about it.  

2 minutes ago, FALC0N said:

Again, the S12III wins one category against the S12II.  And as I pointed out, the Manufacturer of both units agrees with me. 

so the newer S12iii that replaces the S12ii is worse than the S12ii even tho it fixes some of the issues with the S12ii?

3 minutes ago, FALC0N said:

Stop with this pathological obsession with protection circuits.

they are kinda important. as it protects from the inevitable failure of any PSU ever. this applies to the S12ii as it will fail at some point, and its getting old. the more protections against issues, the better. 

standards change and move on, which is the basis of progression. and OTP is kinda a nobrainer as one of the things that are more likely to fail in a PSU is the fan. or dust blocks airflow, etc, etc. iirc its not part of ATX spec,  but its present on so many units these days its more or less a given. 

25 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

so the newer S12iii that replaces the S12ii is worse than the S12ii even tho it fixes some of the issues with the S12ii?

they are kinda important. as it protects from the inevitable failure of any PSU ever. this applies to the S12ii as it will fail at some point, and its getting old. the more protections against issues, the better. 

The S12III isn't the S12II's replacement.  Core will get that job if we ever see it here.  The S12III targets a lower market segment that was not previously targeted by a branded Seasonic product.  People just assume its the replacement because of the name.  Kind of like the Athlon II which replaced the low end offerings, not the original Athlon.

standards change and move on, which is the basis of progression. and OTP is kinda a nobrainer as one of the things that are more likely to fail in a PSU is the fan. or dust blocks airflow, etc, etc. iirc its not part of ATX spec,  but its present on so many units these days its more or less a given. 

It certainly doesn't hurt to have them, but you vastly overstate the importance of having a complete set.  The only reason everyone has all of them now is they are now required by the ATX spec.  That wasn't the case when the S12II was designed and it was never added because it was never needed. 

1 minute ago, FALC0N said:

The S12III targets a lower market segment that was not previously targeted by a branded Seasonic product. 

its a market that the current S12ii kinda covers........ and the S12iii isnt fantastic, its just a better unit than the S12ii due to the fixes implemented. 

1 minute ago, FALC0N said:

It certainly doesn't hurt to have them, but you vastly overstate the importance of having a complete set.  The only reason everyone has all of them now is they are now required by the ATX spec.  That wasn't the case when the S12II was designed and it was never added because it was never needed. 

OTP isnt atx spec is it? iirc its not, people still add it. and lacking a protection and running a design, designed after older spec list bumps it down the quality ladder (by modern standards)

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

its a market that the current S12ii kinda covers........ and the S12iii isnt fantastic, its just a better unit than the S12ii due to the fixes implemented. 

OTP isnt atx spec is it? iirc its not, people still add it. and lacking a protection and running a design, designed after older spec list bumps it down the quality ladder (by modern standards)

But that is the point I was trying to make.  They weren't fixes for the S12II because it was never a problem to begin with. There is a serious disconnect between real world performance and theoretical performance in many instances in this forum. The S12III just happens to be a newer design and by extension, included the newer elements. And it isn't better.  You have to do more than win one performance category to be better. 

OTP was optional when the S12II came out.  It is required now.  You are thinking of undervoltage, which isn't mentioned in the spec. 

2 minutes ago, FALC0N said:

OTP was optional when the S12II came out.  It is required now.  You are thinking of undervoltage, which isn't mentioned in the spec. 

yeah that probably case, but doesnt the S12ii also lack UVP?

3 minutes ago, FALC0N said:

You have to do more than win one performance category to be better. 

not really, if you get a win in the protection departments and you run a newer design, loosing out in a few regards is more than fair. as long as the numbers arent horrid offcourse.