Is a 620W PSU enough for a RX5700 XT?

AlexBm

Hello,

My current PC is:
Ryzen 5 2600x
2x8 3000Mhz GB Ram
1 1Tb 7200 hdd
1 M2 SSD
620W PSU (the psu is new Seasonic, 80+ bronze)

I am looking to buy a new Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT PULSE, for this PC, but i dont know if the power supply of 620W will be enough...
Can you guys help me with a recommendation? Do you think its enough power? Please help, and if you can, could you explain your answer.

Thanks a lot in advance.

IMO you'll be fine. The RX5700 XT has a TDP of 225W and the 2600X has a TDP of 95W. That leaves 300W for the rest of the system. More than enough.

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

9 minutes ago, AlexBm said:

620W PSU (the psu is new Seasonic, 80+ bronze)

which one? i can recall 3 from the top of my head. 1 which is better than the other two. none are perticularly amazinh, but fine providing you didnt overpay for them

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

which one? i can recall 3 from the top of my head. 1 which is better than the other two. none are perticularly amazinh, but fine providing you didnt overpay for them

Seasonic S12II 620W Bronze

8 minutes ago, AlexBm said:

It will be fine.  The S12II series is very reliable.  

3 minutes ago, FALC0N said:

Ok thanks a lot, but leaving the reliable part aside, do you think its enough Wattage for the components?

I recommend you get the CX550 for just a bit more. Better topology, DC-DC, not as loud, less likely to coil whine, and more protections. The PC should draw about 250-300W, so wattage won't be the issue either way. 

:)

3 minutes ago, AlexBm said:

Ok thanks a lot, but leaving the reliable part aside, do you think its enough Wattage for the components?

Yes.  With room to spare.  

14 minutes ago, AlexBm said:

its okay, nothing special 

its lacking in some areas, fairly old design but nothing awful about it. how much did you pay? (roughly)

1 minute ago, AlexBm said:

its more than enough wattage, you can get away with 550 watt for the most heavy consumer config providing its good quality. 

8 minutes ago, FALC0N said:

Didn’t they have issues due to group regulated something? (Can’t remember exactly)

4 minutes ago, AlexBm said:

A higher quality 550W model would Be plenty.

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

2 minutes ago, seon123 said:

I recommend you get the CX550 for just a bit more. Better topology, DC-DC, not as loud, less likely to coil whine, and more protections. The PC should draw about 250-300W, so wattage won't be the issue either way. 

He already has the S12II 620.  I still like it better than the CX, but the CX is good.  Really good.

5 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

its okay, nothing special 

its lacking in some areas, fairly old design but nothing awful about it. how much did you pay? (roughly)

its more than enough wattage, you can get away with 550 watt for the most heavy consumer config providing its good quality. 

i paid roughly 70$ for it, and i get that there are more reliable PSU's but i already have this PSU....

1 minute ago, Stormseeker9 said:

Didn’t they have issues due to group regulated something? (Can’t remember exactly)

Nothing worth worrying about.

1 minute ago, AlexBm said:

i paid roughly 70$ for it, and i get that there are more reliable PSU's but i already have this PSU....

fair enough, 70$ isnt terrible pricing. there are better models, and if you dont want to return it, then dont. its not terrible or bad. 

3 minutes ago, FALC0N said:

Nothing worth worrying about.

there is stuff that makes it kinda "eh". especially with other offerings on the table

10 minutes ago, FALC0N said:

He already has the S12II 620.  I still like it better than the CX, but the CX is good.  Really good.

I think I read "I am looking to buy a new" and then skipped to the S12 II. A bit silly, my bad :P

:)

7 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

fair enough, 70$ isnt terrible pricing. there are better models, and if you dont want to return it, then dont. its not terrible or bad. 

there is stuff that makes it kinda "eh". especially with other offerings on the table

There are trade offs for every unit in the budget category.  If you want the whole package, you have to pay more. 

The strengths of the S12II are great build quality, heat tolerance, reliability history and ripple suppression.  It basically has a reputation for being semi-indestructible and it earned that reputation powering some pretty crazy setups over the years.  That's why it's still tops on my budget list.  You can throw just about anything at it and it will hold up really well.  But I do get why some like the newer units.

5 minutes ago, seon123 said:

I think I read "I am looking to buy a new" and then skipped to the S12 II. A bit silly, my bad :P

No worries.  Such details are easy to miss.

20 minutes ago, AlexBm said:

You just made a very bad purchase, the S12II is very outdated and it's certainly not a power supply that should be powering up a RX 5700XT... wattage is meaningless, think that the S12II has an extremely outdated topology that fails to properly feed the 5700XT standards.

It will work just not work as intended which could short the life of the components and make it more prone to failure.

Replacing it obviously is advised, the CX like stated would be a far better pick however if you don't wanna go through hassle of returning and replacing then taking your chances with the current power supply should work at least initially.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

3 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

You just made a very bad purchase, the S12II is very outdated and it's certainly not a power supply that should be powering up a RX 5700XT... wattage is meaningless, think that the S12II has an extremely outdated topology that fails to properly feed the 5700XT standards.

It will work just not work as intended which could short the life of the components and make it more prone to failure.

Replacing it obviously is advised, the CX like stated would be a far better pick however if you don't wanna go through hassle of returning and replacing then taking your chances with the current power supply should work at least initially.

You mean a power supply that was designed to run the most power hungry cpu's and GPU's we have seen this century, and has done so with distinction for the better part of a decade and a half, suddenly can't do it because............why is that again?  It "fails to feed the 5700XT standards"?  What's standards would those be exactly?  

1 minute ago, FALC0N said:

?  

You may find this video very lecturing:

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

3 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

I have already seen it.  To which part are you referring?  

18 minutes ago, FALC0N said:

heat tolerance

doesnt it lack OTP and its rated with the standard seasonic rating of 40*C ambient? 

25 minutes ago, FALC0N said:

reliability history

its kinda slowly slowly falling in recent years as the S12ii design is getting old. 

26 minutes ago, FALC0N said:

There are trade offs for every unit in the budget category.

there are, but there are also good apples in the bunch, i do not count the s12ii to be among the better apples in budget category. s12iii is certainly a nicer unit for very budget systems. 

3 hours ago, Princess Luna said:

can you please explain why this S12II PSU isnt good? i really need that .... i dont know if i should return it or not...

25 minutes ago, AlexBm said:

can you please explain why this S12II PSU isnt good? i really need that .... i dont know if i should return it or not...

@OrionFOTL Is likely the best person at forum to explain this sort of thing if he has the available time.

Personal Desktop":

5 hours ago, Uptivuptiz said:

IMO you'll be fine. The RX5700 XT has a TDP of 225W and the 2600X has a TDP of 95W. That leaves 300W for the rest of the system. More than enough.

That's not how you measure PSU requirements.?‍♂️