DIY monitor for under $100!

James
On 10/14/2019 at 5:43 PM, TealBandit said:

Anyone know what adaptor I can use to connect the screen that was connected to this?

IMG_20191014_214153.jpg

IMG_20191014_214206.jpg

Thats a 30 pin LVDS cable and conx, single channel.

On 10/14/2019 at 11:54 AM, 4l45t0r said:

I have an old LG G4 that died and wanted to do something with his screen.
Is there a way to utilize it as a mini display fot the pc or something like that using and eDP controller?
Or can you do a project/video with some ideas on how recycle good screens from old phones?

Very different display technology. 

Reusing smartphone displays for custom projects is essentially impossible as each model display will have unique controller requirements, none of which will be using the standardized LCD panel technologies that are LVDS and eDP.

6 hours ago, ProAudio said:

I would find a more powerful power adapter in this case. You always want to have at least 20% more amps available then required.

Thanks for the reply, sadly it's already too late as i ordered the parts 2 days ago.

If everything works, ill write to this thread. Maybe by then someone will have made a 17" mount ^^

Hello,

I am interested in doing a project like this but one thing I see not much people talking about nor do most of the review for the controller boards even mention is performance.

I know things will very from board to board but can anyone give me a generalized answer to the following:

How is video quality? Do these board terribly degrade the video quality of the signal being inputted or is it a similar or comparable to what you would expect for your display?

How bad is the input lag caused by these types of boards? As they are general purpose boards I do not think they are made for gaming. If I hook up a console to one of these will the input lag be terrible or comparable to a cheap TV?

Thank you in advance!

The boards use same controller chips used in budget/cheap lcd monitors... nothing fancy with gsync or freesync and lots of smart stuff.

With digital input (hdmi, dvi, dp) you'll have just as good image as with a regular monitor ...there's no digital to analogue conversions to degrade quality.

Great video!

I have an old Dell XPS 15 9550 with a 4k display I've been wanting to repurpose. I'm not sure if my panel can be removed from the assembly and I haven't been able to find the panel number online. Any ideas or thoughts on how to find a compatible eDP controller board?

• 2 weeks later...

1) it's not 'under $100' if you need a 3D printer;

2) it's pretty crappy to be honest;

3) you went that far and didn't even try to plug in a Raspberry Pi or an old laptop board to make it into an AIO?

4) sponsored by iFixit - none of the tools used are from iFixit lol

Nah bad job there…

On 10/13/2019 at 1:36 PM, emosun said:

just pause the video 4 seconds in for my response

best not to watch any of linus's vids

1) click bait title, as per usual with linus

2) i havent seen it but i will agree with you

3) gotta punch the vids out fast and move onto next vid

4) lolololololol maybe ifixit didnt want to spend extra for product placement

15 hours ago, caincha said:

1) it's not 'under $100' if you need a 3D printer;

2) it's pretty crappy to be honest;

3) you went that far and didn't even try to plug in a Raspberry Pi or an old laptop board to make it into an AIO?

4) sponsored by iFixit - none of the tools used are from iFixit lol

Nah bad job there…

ok so when i hook everything up, i just get a blank screen. The monitor powers on but its just bland. The menu buttons dont seem to do anything so i thought it was the monitor. So i bought another monitot and same problem. Then i bought a new board and still same problem.. any thoughts? could it be the power supply? even though its getting power cause its turning on its a 12v 2A 24w

On 10/14/2019 at 6:31 AM, James said:

Buy monitors on Amazon: https://geni.us/8ilNf

https://youtu.be/8mFUTpvetjM

Here's how you can build your own monitor using some parts from eBay, 3D printing and a little creativity! Follow along on youtube for the build guide once you have all of the parts listed below ready to go.

You'll need to print and prepare all the parts from our Thingiverse Remix: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3880504

Additionally, you'll need these fasteners:

4x 1/2" long - #2-56 flat head screws
7x 3/8" long - #4-40 flat head screws
4x #4-40 Nuts and washers

Lastly, you'll need to find yourself a 15.6" Panel, matching EDP adapter, power supply and some basic hand tools for the fasteners.

Panel
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/CMO-N156HGE-EB1-Screen-Replacement-for-Laptop-New-LED-FullHD-Glossy-LCD/271943582309?hash=item3f5119c265:g:NOgAAOSwNSxVXQOQ

EDP Adapter
https://www.ebay.com/itm/eDP-HDMI-LCD-Controller-Board-for-N173HCE-E31-N173HGE-E11-1920x1080-LED-Screen/273777344144?hash=item3fbe66be90:g:GuQAAOSwL79clenu

Don't know if anyone is still looking here but, can you do this with an old tv panel?

• 5 months later...

I am trying to utilize a 15.6" touch dispaly out of an old laptop as an external monitor. However, I have not been able to find any LCD Controller Boards that support the touch functionality of the display that I would like to retain if possible. Is there something out there that somebody could recommend for this?

I have a 14" LTN140AT35-H01 panel from an old laptop and i can't find a board on ebay, anybody know where to find one?

• 8 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Anyone know where I can find a edp with a e308724 50 pin or have one that I can buy off you? I have an old Samsung un40h5003af with a dead psu and was doing some research on it before I put the money in to fix it. Turns out it has a 120hz display but 35ms of input lag on "gaming mode", so I want to see if I can find a way around all that lag and have a pretty decent monitor for like $50 or less.

• 3 weeks later...

So will this work for a cell phone with a usbc to HDMI cable?  Would be cool to have a bigger display for YouTube videos.  Don't have room on my work bench for a laptop or desktop monitor but could mount it in a picture frame on the wall no problem. Or even mounted on a kitch cabinet and use it for a recipe display as phone screens sometimes are hard to read. 

• 6 months later...

Hi guys, I recently pulled out the lcd of a chuwi hi8 but i cant determine if there is an lcd controller board suitable for it. Any advise? Thanks!!!

20220310_195026.jpg

This page - https://4pda.to/forum/index.php?showtopic=434016&st=240 - says it's a MIPI interface and controller boards are generally hard to find and tend to be "hard coded" for specific resolutions, basically it's complicated to find a driver board that will actually support the screen resolution. 

Then, the connector on that flex pcb on the left is not standardized, you would have to figure out what each trace does by looking where the traces go, figuring out the chip maker and model , then getting datasheet for that chip and so on...