Next Generation AMD Mobility 7nm CPUs Landing In Q1 2020, Will Bring AMD Gaming Laptops Price Down To $699

MadDuke

OK, this is huge.  Firstly.  Intel price premiums are huge.  Now coming a bit down (especially on HEDT) but on Mobile (and server) they are really, really big.

I know that for the most people here the most interesting part will be those 4-6 core parts paired with a dedicated GPU, but for me. 

All I really want is a freaking capable 4C8T (6C12T would be even better potentially, but not required on my side honestly) parts with an integrated "higherish core count" Navi GPU and an awesome battery life.

I love my Intel Ultrabook (HP Elitebook 840 G5 I got ridiculously cheap) but what I'm missing is a capable GPU part to do some occasional gaming in 1080P .

Not even gonna comment on how I would like to see someone actually cramming something like an 7nm Zen2+Navi APU with a maximum 100 watt hour battery honestly. 

I work using web apps in a browser, but I do photo editing, video editing a bit and occasional gaming on the go and this combo would be a dream come true. Hopefully with a nice collection of ports (something I'm really really really satisfied with the current HP machine mentioned earlier).   So,  HP Elitebook style or a Thinkpad would be my dream come true. And it's a machine  (except a change of battery) that I would use for the next 5 years literally.

Quote from the original article:

I wasn't sure at that time whether AMD was targetting a holiday season 2019 launch or CES 2020 but it looks like they are angling for CES 2020 because I have received confirmation of availability from the first quarter of 2020. Here's the kicker though: AMD's next-generation mobility parts will include a 6-core 7nm Ryzen processor that will bring the cost of AMD gaming laptops with discrete graphics down to just $699 - a pretty steep price cut for the average consumer.

Link to article:

https://wccftech.com/exclusive-next-generation-amd-7nm-mobility-cpu-apu-laptop-price-down-699/

15 minutes ago, MadDuke said:

"higherish core count" Navi GPU

how many exactly?

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

5 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

how many exactly?

Out of my ass?  Because this is on 12nm

https://www.amd.com/en/products/apu/amd-ryzen-7-3780u-microsoft-surface-edition

I would be totally fine with a 4C8T higher boost CPU (same TDP) Zen2 and adding a Nav with 15? "cores".  

Depends what is better. More cores on GPU vs. higher frequency.  Don't know the middle ground on such low parts so I have no idea.

The 3000 series of ryzen mobile just came out in July. They might tease the next gen ryzen parts in Q1, but I doubt it will be released until July 2020. AMD rumors tend to get out of hand... 5ghz zen 2 *cough* *cough*

Honestly I'm fine with a desktop 3600X on a laptop.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

I wouldn't put it in the same category of course. 5 GHz WITH a die shrink was known to be impossible. Actually. Being able to up the frequency over 12nm was a HUGE achievement. Haven't really seen that happen,.... ever really. 

I think it also depends a lot on the TSMC availability of 7nm node. But seeing as the next Desktop, HEDT and server parts are going the 7nm+ (EUV) route. Cranking mobile chips next year on 7nm capacity would make sense. 

It's also worth noting that APU parts are a completely different SKU and don't have the chiplet, or chiplet plus IO die design. It's something that is a matter of resources (or lack thereof) with AMD. 

So I'm thinking that Zen 2 CPUs might come early on mobile next year, but the APUs will need to wait.

It also depends on the next gen consoles (will they be using a more mature 7nm with expanded production lines or 7nm+ (which I don't see happening IMO).  And since we know the production of those will be cranking up all the way for the 2020 holiday season I can see Zen2 + Navi APUs on desktop and mobile coming around Q3 even. 

2 hours ago, MadDuke said:

Out of my ass?  Because this is on 12nm

https://www.amd.com/en/products/apu/amd-ryzen-7-3780u-microsoft-surface-edition

I would be totally fine with a 4C8T higher boost CPU (same TDP) Zen2 and adding a Nav with 15? "cores".  

Depends what is better. More cores on GPU vs. higher frequency.  Don't know the middle ground on such low parts so I have no idea.

because 7nm's production is limited. Not sure if you've heard of rumours that TSMC can't take new orders, which means it's unlikely for AMD to release a 3rd Navi die design anytime soon. Don't think they'll put the effort to make Navi with GF 12nm either

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

4 hours ago, Jurrunio said:

because 7nm's production is limited. Not sure if you've heard of rumours that TSMC can't take new orders, which means it's unlikely for AMD to release a 3rd Navi die design anytime soon. Don't think they'll put the effort to make Navi with GF 12nm either

TSMC 7nm production has a lead time of 6 months (from a month ago). And that is for new orders so it's not that limited. 

WCCF: using as many words as possible for little to no information transfer.

Are these just mobile CPUs then? Not APUs? Anyway, are these higher power mobile CPUs? By higher, I mean like in 45W TDP class, not the 15-25W TDP class junk in thin and lights. IMO CPU has never been the problem for a gaming laptop, it's the GPU. We need power efficient GPUs to make gaming laptops both a better experience and more affordable. nvidia aren't bad but AMD don't currently have anything great in that space. 7nm should open the doors on both sides.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

8 hours ago, MadDuke said:

It's also worth noting that APU parts are a completely different SKU and don't have the chiplet, or chiplet plus IO die design. It's something that is a matter of resources (or lack thereof) with AMD. 

the io die thing is for power reasons, remember the io die on ryzen uses close to 30w, which is a lot, for lower power it might still be best to use monolithic dies 

I'm mostly excited about the RDNA graphics. Will make for some kick ass APUs, because the amount of performance you get out of each compute unit is so much more than GCN, and on APU you have limited space.

Random thought- technically what's to stop AMD from modifying the big Zen2+Navi APU which they designed for the next gen consoles into a laptop? They can downclock it to stay cool. That would be an epic gaming laptop. Too big and power hungry?

So far AMD has really not prioritized the laptop market. They have been more focused on higher margin sectors. Laptops are low margin but very high volume. Only if TSMC can guarantee enough 7nm supply does it make sense for AMD to go here.

21 minutes ago, Humbug said:

Random thought- technically what's to stop AMD from modifying the big Zen2+Navi APU which they designed for the next gen consoles into a laptop? They can downclock it to stay cool. That would be an epic gaming laptop. Too big and power hungry?

Personally, I think a great way to go about this is to use the defective dies, you get a SoC with 2 cores not working, its junked, not think they could throw it into a laptop downcloed and off you go! Practically free silicon as it would only have been thrown away anyway.

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Please AMD, I need a Zen 2 (6 or 8 core laptop with good GPU capable of gaming) and don't want to get Intel. Due for a work laptop upgrade next year and can basically get what I want company funded, but I'm not going to skimp just to support AMD. It would pain me to have to get Intel so I'm desperately hoping  they will have something good by than that isn't a giant brick of a laptop. Something like a razer blade would be ideal. 

Yeah the Zen2 and Navi APU wil be great to see especially mobile. As well as Navi dGPU offerings too. Everything being 7nm these gotta take the back seat ans wait. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

46 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Yeah the Zen2 and Navi APU wil be great to see especially mobile. As well as Navi dGPU offerings too. Everything being 7nm these gotta take the back seat ans wait. 

As far as the dGPUs for laptops go... Even if nvidia has a 10% advantage in perf/watt it makes sense for the laptop vendors to go with geforce. On desktop power usage doesn't matter much. I agree the AMD APUs should be killer though.

The problem is for AMD to start prioritizing laptops then need to be sure TSMC has ample 7nm supply. Cause when wafer constrained they can make more money by focusing on the higher margin parts: Epyc, then Threadripper, then Ryzen, then navi desktop GPUs. Whereas laptop stuff would be lower margin and high volume which will eat up all their capacity.

21 minutes ago, Humbug said:

As far as the dGPUs for laptops go... Even if nvidia has a 10% advantage in perf/watt it makes sense for the laptop vendors to go with geforce. On desktop power usage doesn't matter much. I agree the AMD APUs should be killer though.

The problem is for AMD to start prioritizing laptops then need to be sure TSMC has ample 7nm supply. Cause when wafer constrained they can make more money by focusing on the higher margin parts: Epyc, then Threadripper, then Ryzen, then navi desktop GPUs. Whereas laptop stuff would be lower margin and high volume which will eat up all their capacity.

Yeah they do need to prioritize product lineups and can't do all at once, which would be dope though. There's the RX5500m so more models will be interesting to see.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Why is everyone mentioning laptop market as a low margin one? 

Intel 8250u  (on my market the chip within the biggest number of laptop models according to aggregate site  of all stores in the country) costs 300 bu

i5-8265U is the same price and 8550u is 400 bucks (same as 8565U).  

Last but not least 8750H is also 400 bucks, but that is 35-45W territory compared to 10-25W configurable on the previous ones.

Just these models own most of the market share in laptops,

14 hours ago, cj09beira said:

the io die thing is for power reasons, remember the io die on ryzen uses close to 30w, which is a lot, for lower power it might still be best to use monolithic dies 

The point was that you can't reuse any part for the APU die. 

On 10/11/2019 at 4:12 AM, MadDuke said:

I love my Intel Ultrabook (HP Elitebook 840 G5 I got ridiculously cheap) but what I'm missing is a capable GPU part to do some occasional gaming in 1080P

So you want the zbook then?.. Same chassie just with a GPU

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

On 10/10/2019 at 7:12 PM, MadDuke said:

I love my Intel Ultrabook (HP Elitebook 840 G5 I got ridiculously cheap) but what I'm missing is a capable GPU part to do some occasional gaming in 1080P .

You will not see a capable GPU in a 14" laptop. It is not possible. To use the phrase at the office "That will melt."

Basically all 12-14" laptops are rubbish tier performance, by design, because they are too thin to dissipate the necessary heat. This is why you don't see dedicated GPU parts in the Surface Pro tablet/laptops and anything in that ultrabook form factor.

At best, "APU" AMD parts might bring up the floor on gaming laptops, but in general, every time a newer CPU/APU/GPU has come out, the OEM's have instead made the chassis smaller, and sacrificed any performance gains with a better chip by using a cheaper slower chip and a smaller battery.

12 hours ago, Kisai said:

You will not see a capable GPU in a 14" laptop. It is not possible. To use the phrase at the office "That will melt."

Basically all 12-14" laptops are rubbish tier performance, by design, because they are too thin to dissipate the necessary heat. This is why you don't see dedicated GPU parts in the Surface Pro tablet/laptops and anything in that ultrabook form factor.

At best, "APU" AMD parts might bring up the floor on gaming laptops, but in general, every time a newer CPU/APU/GPU has come out, the OEM's have instead made the chassis smaller, and sacrificed any performance gains with a better chip by using a cheaper slower chip and a smaller battery.

The 13" Razer Stealth has a GTX 1650 option. So I guess you could call that statement false. It's probably throttling like hell but still: there are lots of laptops with dedicated graphics in thin form factors. You'll just have to accept the hefty price tag and the overheating causing throttling.

On 10/14/2019 at 7:23 PM, Trixanity said:

The 13" Razer Stealth has a GTX 1650 option. So I guess you could call that statement false. It's probably throttling like hell but still: there are lots of laptops with dedicated graphics in thin form factors. You'll just have to accept the hefty price tag and the overheating causing throttling.

Ergo why I wish a slightly more powerful APU part. Just going 10W more and utilizing 7nm should accomplish that. 

On 10/12/2019 at 1:01 PM, MadDuke said:

Why is everyone mentioning laptop market as a low margin one? 

Because traditionally it is.  Many OEM's struggle making serious profit from their laptop divisions unless they are huge like levnovo/HP (who make most their coin from corporate upgrades). 

But more importantly, what has Intel's prices got to do with the concept of AMD releasing better 7nm parts in a few years?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Speaking of mobile 7nm CPU's, look at this beauty that Komachi found in an AMD document!

https://www.amd.com/system/files/documents/product-master.pdf

Page 553...Renoir Ryzen 9 on the FP6 socket!

image.png.46331b9cc754b1d754fda0c92e28c9e0.png

In 15w and..

image.png.0514064381b181d01f3b8e6de4108eea.png

45w and I know this isn't relevant to this thread necessarily but..

image.png.7233421dec433cbfb038b50b649a0504.png

Best of all..Renoir AM4? What on earth?

Just to say, those aren't the only things found in here. Threadripper 3000 is also slotted in, and a R7 3750x and all sorts of little gems in there.

On 10/10/2019 at 9:49 PM, Sorenson said:

The 3000 series of ryzen mobile just came out in July. They might tease the next gen ryzen parts in Q1, but I doubt it will be released until July 2020. AMD rumors tend to get out of hand... 5ghz zen 2 *cough* *cough*

Hype is the only thing AMD's marketing lives on ?

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR