Robo Cop has no interest in helping out a woman, only in keeping the park clean

spartaman64

Cogo Guebara rushed over to the motorized police officer and pushed its emergency alert button on seeing the brawl break out in Salt Lake Park, Los Angeles, last month. But instead of offering assistance, the egg-shaped robot, whose official name is HP RoboCop, barked at Guebara to ‘Step out of the way’. To add insult to injury, the high-tech device then rolled away while humming an ‘intergalactic tune’, pausing periodically to say ‘Please keep the park clean.’

‘It just kept ringing and ringing, and I kept pushing and pushing.’ The concerned bystander thought the five-foot tall robot might have needed to see her face before it began to work, so she crouched down in front of its camera.

But the egg-shaped device still didn’t work, forcing Guebara to call 911 on her phone instead. Officers from the Huntington Park Police Department cops finally arrived 15 minutes later, after the row had ended. It left one woman with a bad head wound which saw her stretchered into an ambulance and taken to hospital for emergency treatment.

Local Police Chief Cosme Lozano says the robots, which cost between $60,000 and $70,000 a year to lease, are still in a trial phase and that their alert buttons have not yet been activated. He said that law enforcement have not yet started advertising the robots crime-fighting activities.

Lozano added that once the robot completes its trial, calls made using its alert button will be sent straight to dispatch. Other versions of the same model have previously hit the headlines after one fell into a fountain in Washington DC. And a third HP RoboCop struck a child while patrolling a mall in California’s Silicon Valley.

Photo of Huntington Park PD robot

source: https://metro.co.uk/2019/10/04/police-robot-told-woman-go-away-tried-report-crime-sang-song-10864648/?ito=cbshare

They seem sort of useless to me in fact they seem worse than useless on account of one striking a child. Surely the police department can find better uses for 70,000 dollars a year. If you want to remind people to keep the park clean just put up signs or something. Heck make them glowing RGB neon disco signs with pyrotechnics going off and they will still be cheaper.

To be fair, that thing will do nothing in a real situation. In this event it would likely get kicked over and then destroyed. 

At most it can send a GPS coordinate to the police station and they can go based on that but then it's rife for abuse and fake callouts

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Just now, Arika S said:

To be fair, that thing will do nothing in a real situation. In this event it would likely get kicked over and then destroyed. 

At most it can send a GPS coordinate to the police station and they can go based on that but then it's rife for abuse and fake callouts

but one of them struck a child so clearly they can use force when needed :P

If this is made by the HP I'm thinking of, I can see why it doesn't do what it's supposed to do. Also, warranty calls probably take an hour to get to a person. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

7 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

If this is made by the HP I'm thinking of, I can why it doesn't do what it's supposed to do. Also, warranty calls probably take an hour to get to a person. 

and you can only replace the parts with certain part numbers of thing.

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

7 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

If this is made by the HP I'm thinking of, I can why it doesn't do what it's supposed to do. Also, warranty calls probably take an hour to get to a person. 

Have had good experience with HP customer support in Europe to be fair. Get someone on the phone within 2/3 minutes or sometimes direct 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

Just now, will4623 said:

and you can only replace the parts with certain part numbers of thing.

And the ink only lasts a week before drying. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

Just now, ARikozuM said:

And the ink only lasts a week before drying. 

and it needs more paper.

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

Thread: [is derailed]

Me: My job is done here. [warranties into the sunset]

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

57 minutes ago, Derrk said:

if you see one of these, push it over. ACAB, even robocops

Every. Damn. Time.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

9 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Sorry incorrect paper type was used *jam* *jam* *jam* *jam* *jam* *jam* *jam* *broken*

*fix* incorrect part number.

Bro just trying to avoid the #Metoo bullcrap. Good on him.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

At least it didn't fell into a pool of water and die.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

I think the bigger problem is the 15 minute response time to calling 911 for a violent crime.

Never forget, when seconds matter, the police are just minutes away.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

What's those blue circle things on it, are they badges for telling humans to keep the park clean? It needs 3 more badges and then it gets promoted to Captain!

HP Robocop does kind of look like the head of a Falcon Heavy doe. FH-Feature.jpg.15e10f25b8f50f4d9d201f359ea264b3.jpg

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

To be fair, it is a trial run with limited functionality.

Yes it has its problems, but that's why it is still just a trial. It struck a child? Yes, that's why it needs more testing.

It's hard to release a flawless product without testing it first, especially one that interacts with humans.

The biggest issue here is that the button was exposed which lead the person to assume it was working.

Although... The more I think about it the more I question what the purpose of this is. What are these robots suppose to do when they have exited trial and are ready for prime time?

Pretty much everyone has a phone these days so it calling the police is kind of pointless.

10 hours ago, Derrk said:

if you see one of these, push it over. ACAB, even robocops

If someone gets caught pushing that thing over, that person can claim the robot begged for some "percussive maintenance" by playing a specific beep code ;)

10 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

but one of them struck a child so clearly they can use force when needed :P

That robot probably operated under the "only mess with people at least the same height as yourself" rule, which might have led to that error in judgment.

Honestly, I the police wanted to create some mechanical, intimidating cops/assistants, it should rather build something like the Borg in Star Trek. Nothing beats hearing "Resistance is futile" during a chase.

10 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

and that their alert buttons have not yet been activated

Then they should fucking SAY SO! Jesus Christ, just ignoring someone who rushes over to push the alert-button is fucking inane and you're wasting their time -- something which could literally be a matter life and death in the worst -- when you're not even saying that the button is non-functional!

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

10 hours ago, Bacon soup said:

id sit inside a robot shell and make robot noises for $70k. I'd be totally useless too. I'd be perfect for this job.

still better than a robot that hits children.

Edited by will4623
and a idiot who can't spell.

From the pic provided, you can't really see "trial version" or anything, they should clearly state that or have a something covering the emergency alert button.

Also, missed opportunity to call it 'park patrol'