Blizzard Preventing Users From Deleting their Accounts

Deus Voltage

This was reported on reddit as well as Twitter:

This was also reported on Blizzard forums to which a moderator responded by saying:

Deleting a Blizzard Account is an irreversible step that requires a direct web ticket to Blizzard Customer Service. In addition, photo identification must be sent in to confirm the user before an account is completely deleted. Because of this I am anticipating there is an increased flow of web tickets being poured in and there may be a very long wait before such a request is processed. Remember if you rather, you can just uninstall your games and the BattleNet launcher for the time being.

A gaming website reported on it and stated the following:

Multiple Blizzard users are saying that when they try to close their account or request a copy of their personal data, they’re being presented with a message that reads: “Due to too many attempts. [Authentication method] has been locked. Please try another method for verification.”

Apparently, some people cannot even delete their accounts even after following proper procedures because of their geographical location. This is from a Reddit user belonging to the thread I linked above

I submitted a photo ID, and still got my request denied (message says this method does not work in my country, but offers no other method).

Thoughts:

Very troubling. I am unsure on as to what Blizzard is planning. I have never seen this kind of behavior before from a U.S company. I want to avoid making this thread political so please fight the urge if possible and discuss.

55 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

serious question: what is this for, other than making sure they have nothing personally identifiable to the user...? o_o

Short answer: money.

Long answer: if you e.g. already have a character in WoW that you've spent 100 hours on, you're more likely to return to play WoW in the future than if you had to start all over again from scratch. Preventing you from losing all the time you've already spent in Blizzard's games by completely deleting your account, they're hoping to retain a higher chance of you returning some day.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

2 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Short answer: money.

Long answer: if you e.g. already have a character in WoW that you've spent 100 hours on, you're more likely to return to play WoW in the future than in you had to start all over again from scratch. Preventing you from losing all the time you've already spent in Blizzard's games, they're hoping to retain a higher chance of you returning some day.

also maybe they just want to ensure no one can fuck with you and have your account deleted.  It would be a pretty cruel prank if you could get them to delete 100+ hours of someone else's WoW work by simply submitting a ticket.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

also maybe they just want to ensure no one can fuck with you and have your account deleted.  It would be a pretty cruel prank if you could get them to delete 100+ hours of someone else's WoW work by simply submitting a ticket.

They already have had steps to prevent that for years. Completely preventing people from deleting accounts is a new thing.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Some users have taken into great lengths into getting their account banned instead. I would post screenshots but they are pretty colorful in language.

This is some entertainment I never thought would appear.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Do users not have the right to delete their accounts? I feel like you should always have the right to delete your account from a site.

I dont get this, myself and others had to provide copies of ID for various actions over the years. Be it account restore, password reset and other stuff.

So this is nothing new from them. Besides, what would they gain from this?

Appears they have a manual review process for deleting accounts. They've received a higher than normal amount of requests and the account deletion portal has been disabled temporarily; either because there are simply too many requests for the team to review, because it's a security feature to prevent abuse and attacks on the system, or the system simply crashed due to the extra traffic.

If you really want to delete your Blizzard account then just wait a few days and try again. 

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

3 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

This seems sorta overly outraged to me. I honestly don't see what the big deal is. 

Me neither, I have abandoned accounts before and that worked out just the same way as deleting them practically speaking so I do think this is all exaggerated and people may be just hunting down things to complain and nitpick at this point to keep Blizzard's backlash from the Hong Kong incident.

I can imagine that if an account has payment credentials like credit card info stored etc then that can be an issue and you should always have an easy way to delete this sort of information but that aside there's absolutely no draw back simply quit using it and like Blizzard stated just uninstall the launcher and games from you PC.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

13 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

Me neither, I have abandoned accounts before and that worked out just the same way as deleting them practically speaking so I do think this is all exaggerated and people may be just hunting down things to complain and nitpick at this point to keep Blizzard's backlash from the Hong Kong incident.

I can imagine that if an account has payment credentials like credit card info stored etc then that can be an issue and you should always have an easy way to delete this sort of information but that aside there's absolutely no draw back simply quit using it and like Blizzard stated just uninstall the launcher and games from you PC.

yes but deleting the account is about sending a signal. because those numbers are what matters to blizz. losing accounts is far worse then just losing active users. inactive accounts can still be counted.

this is shitty behavior.

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

3 minutes ago, ADM-Ntek said:

yes but deleting the account is about sending a signal. because those numbers are what matters to blizz. losing accounts is far worse then just losing active users. inactive accounts can still be counted.

Or, stick it to the man by keeping your accounts on their server without using their product. Now they have to pay more to store your data. That's the real big brain strat.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

6 minutes ago, MageTank said:

Or, stick it to the man by keeping your accounts on their server without using their product. Now they have to pay more to store your data. That's the real big brain strat.

paying for data storage lol.

Reddit has been going crazy over this lately. It's become a circlejerk over who hates Blizzard the most. I've been downvoted to hell for asking for evidence of people's conspiracy theories.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

I was pondering if I should too request a deletion of my Blizzard account as I barely touch Overwatch now, but clearly I can't now, at least for the time being. I can deal with just leaving my account alone as long as all my payment credentials and any sensititive information is either removed or scrambled from my account.

Either way, as a Hong Kong Chinese immigrant, I'm leaving Blizzard's products alone.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

33 minutes ago, MageTank said:

yes, those few mb maybe even just kb will make the difference.... I think the value to your data in profiling,marketing and so on outweigh the few cents it will cost to keep your data around for the years to come.

1 minute ago, LeSheen said:

yes, those few mb maybe even just kb will make the difference.... I think the value to your data in profiling,marketing and so on outweigh the few cents it will cost to keep your data around for the years to come.

Multiply that by millions of people and it adds up. Besides, there is no guarantee that deleting your account will delete the data they've taken for marketing purposes. Even if companies do not have your data stored in an account format, they buy customer data on a daily basis simply to serve their products to different markets.

I've received marketing material and coupons from local stores I have never shopped at. When pressing one retailer in particular as to how they obtained my email address, I was told that a third party marketing solution collects and provides that information. I am assuming money traded hands, because information is valuable, but you get the point.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

2 hours ago, mr moose said:

Submitting a ticket. By being actually logged into that account. You can't just submit a ticket for some other account... So, ultimately you're responsible for account security just like for e-mail, your banking, your Netflix account etc

I personally am not going to delete the account, because I paid for the fucking games, but I sure as hell won't be buying any new ones from them.

11 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

I personally am not going to delete the account, because I paid for the fucking games, but I sure as hell won't be buying any new ones from them.

why?

cause they banned a player that broke the rules? especially at an event

wait many companies ban for less lol

2 minutes ago, pas008 said:

why?

cause they banned a player that broke the rules? especially at an event

wait many companies ban for less lol

Lots of people are sure it's because they're getting money from the Chinese government. Which honestly isn't all that unreasonable, except nobody has been able to find me any proof.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440