problems with audio and toslink

goto10

i changed my 24" monitor to a 43" tv

the old monitor had a 3.5mm output, so i could use directly my logitech z523 speakers no problem

the new tv only has toslink, a friend gave me a toslink to 3.5mm converter that works well

the problem i have is that i can't control the volume in any form from the tv, it disables audio control, i have to use the volume controls on the speaker, i would like to have control over a reote control

is there such device? i find lots of dacs but with amplifier, the logitech doesn't need that, those are powered speakers for desktop pc

there is one that has a remote, but it seems that is only for headphone volume control

https://www.amazon.com/Neoteck-Converter-Digital-Coaxial-Adjustment/dp/B07G6YXSHD/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=dac+with+remote&qid=1570657999&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEySjg0MkM3NjZHVU5GJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMTk0ODAxMlA3M1JBRzZWRzk5QyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMTg3NzY3MjBDSE9IS1dOQkdKJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

am i wrong or my only option is a soundbar?  i would like to keep using these speakers untill they die, so i don't want the soundbar approach yet

You can often change the output level for TOSLINK in your TV settings (my Sony offers this), but that's designed for matching the output level to an amplifiers input rather than changing it on the fly as a volume control.

On 10/9/2019 at 10:56 PM, goto10 said:

i changed my 24" monitor to a 43" tv

the old monitor had a 3.5mm output, so i could use directly my logitech z523 speakers no problem

the new tv only has toslink, a friend gave me a toslink to 3.5mm converter that works well

the problem i have is that i can't control the volume in any form from the tv, it disables audio control, i have to use the volume controls on the speaker, i would like to have control over a reote control

is there such device? i find lots of dacs but with amplifier, the logitech doesn't need that, those are powered speakers for desktop pc

there is one that has a remote, but it seems that is only for headphone volume control

https://www.amazon.com/Neoteck-Converter-Digital-Coaxial-Adjustment/dp/B07G6YXSHD/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=dac+with+remote&qid=1570657999&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEySjg0MkM3NjZHVU5GJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMTk0ODAxMlA3M1JBRzZWRzk5QyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMTg3NzY3MjBDSE9IS1dOQkdKJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

am i wrong or my only option is a soundbar?  i would like to keep using these speakers untill they die, so i don't want the soundbar approach yet

Something like this?: https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Analog-Converter-Coaxial-Toslink/dp/B07LF82S95/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=toslink+to+RCA+with+remote&qid=1570796060&sr=8-3

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

54 minutes ago, Derkoli said:

it seems it is the same one i was looking, i guess i will have to buy one and discover if it indeed does what i need to do, to be honest i can't find a decent and cheap soundbar with a subwoofer that fits my needs, so i want to use these speakers until they explode

the smarttv i have here, i can select in the audio options between only tv speakers, toslink with tv speakers and only toslink, when i select only toslink, i can't do anything with volume

thank you for your help

1 hour ago, goto10 said:

it seems it is the same one i was looking, i guess i will have to buy one and discover if it indeed does what i need to do, to be honest i can't find a decent and cheap soundbar with a subwoofer that fits my needs, so i want to use these speakers until they explode

the smarttv i have here, i can select in the audio options between only tv speakers, toslink with tv speakers and only toslink, when i select only toslink, i can't do anything with volume

thank you for your help

No problem :)

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)