Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My friend gave me a 2008 iMac. It had Fedora installed. I was trying to remove fedora and installed Mac OS. Now the only thing that will load is the Grub command line (See picture). I've tried all of the mac recovery key combinations. I've tried booting to a Windows 10 USB and a Linux USB. I don't have access to another mac. Would buying a Mac OSX install CD work? Or am I out of luck. 

IMG_0878.jpg

You’ll need a macOS bootable USB to boot from so you can formate the drive. 

Laptop: 2020 13" MacBook Pro i5, 512GB, G7 Graphics, 16GB LPDDR4X | Phone: iPhone 8 Plus 64GB | Wearables: Apple Watch Sport Series 2 | CPU: R5 2600 | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 16GB 2666 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 10 | Storage: 480GB PNY SSD & 2TB WD Green HDD | PSU: Corsair CX600M | Display: Dell 27 Gaming Monitor S2719DGF 1440p @155Hz, Dell UZ2215H 21.5" 1080p, ViewSonic VX2450wm-LED 23.6" 1080p | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G303 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball

See section "Use Startup Mangaer" in https://support.apple.com/en-hk/HT202796 on how to select a different boot media.

Command + R Should boot into the Recovery partition which should not have been erased. If it has been you can try and find a bootable disk if that is what you choose to do.

If you know anyone with a Mac and they are willing to let you borrow it you can follow this guide to make yourself a bootable USB.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

Side Note: Someitmes you will have to change the date to the day you downloaded the installer I have seen it have issues so if you download it and wait a little while just keep this in mind. Does not always matter but I have seen it mess up before in my experience.