Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

PSU recommendation

Go to solution Solved by seon123,
43 minutes ago, DreadZeppelin said:

Are you sure 450W will be enough if I want to upgrade in the future? And I've heard it's best to only use 2/3 of the PSU capabilities max? And if I want to upgrade to a RTX 2080 and i9 9900 sometime won't I get problems with my wattage overhead? (if that's the right term)

Whoever said that you should load the PSU at max (insert percentage below 100 here) is absolutely clueless. Are you going to upgrade to an €800 GPU? Don't base your PSU choice on some arbitrary non realistic criterion. 

If you actually are planning on upgrading, just get the Whisper M 550W or Straight Power 11 550W. The RM550x has two PCIe connectors on a single cable, so I recommend not using it for GPUs with a TDP above 225W. 

Recently my PSU started 'screaming' when I start a game and it's an old one I got from a friend so I figure it's time for an upgrade.

I'm looking for something reliable, good and reasonably quiet with room to upgrade in the future. Also partial modular would be nice but not necessary. 

 

My system:

CPU: i7 7800

GPU: MSI GTX 1070 gaming 8G

RAM:  Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3000

MOBO: ASUS ROG STRIX B360-F

Storage: M.2 SSD and a regular SSD

I have a 2 screen setup if that matters

If I'm missing any specs just ask.

 

I was looking at a be quiet! Pure Power 11 or a Corsair RM850. Oh and I'm buying in Europe, The Netherlands to be exact.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, DreadZeppelin said:

Recently my PSU started 'screaming' when I start a game and it's an old one I got from a friend so I figure it's time for an upgrade.

I'm looking for something reliable, good and reasonably quiet with room to upgrade in the future. Also partial modular would be nice but not necessary. 

 

My system:

CPU: i7 7800

GPU: MSI GTX 1070 gaming 8G

RAM:  Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3000

MOBO: ASUS ROG STRIX B360-F

Storage: M.2 SSD and a regular SSD

I have a 2 screen setup if that matters

If I'm missing any specs just ask.

 

I was looking at a be quiet! Pure Power 11 or a Corsair RM850. Oh and I'm buying in Europe, The Netherlands to be exact.

700W or 750W will be enough.

To be an expert is to know more about less.

  • 2014 Build --> FX 8350 4.7GHz {} ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer {} Reference GTX 980 4GB {} 2x4GB 1866MHz HyperX {} Seagate 2TB 7200rpm {} 840 EVO 120GB {} XFX PRO850W {} Noctua NH D14 {} Fractal Define R4 White Windowed
  • 2018 Build --> Ryzen 7 2700X {} ASRock Fatal1ty X470 Gaming K4 {} Gigabyte RTX 2070 8GB {} 2x8GB HX Fury 3200MHz {} Toshiba P300 2TB {} Kingston 480GB A1000 {} Corsair RM750W {} Enermax LIQMAX II 240 {} Fractal Focus G
  • Laptop --> Dell Inspirion 15 7567 - i5 7300HQ - GTX 1050 4GB - 8GB DDR4 - 1TB - 256GB
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, DreadZeppelin said:

I was looking at a be quiet! Pure Power 11 or a Corsair RM850.

Both decent choices.  I'd go Corsair, and you only need 750.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Whisper M 450W, RM550x 2018 or Straight Power 11 450W. Whisper M has multi rail, a FDB fan, individual PCIe cables, and uses the Corsair type 4 pinout. RMx is the quietest at higher loads, uses the Corsair type 4 pinout, and has a within spec hold up time. Straight Power 11 has multi rail, a FDB fan and inidvidual PCIe cables. Using the Corsair type 4 pinout will make finding custom cables a lot easier.

You don't need anywhere near 450W for your system, let alone 850W. The 1070 is a 150W card, so expect the system to draw about 220W under a gaming load.

:)

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, greeatzy said:

700W or 750W will be enough.

 

9 hours ago, TheGlenlivet said:

Both decent choices.  I'd go Corsair, and you only need 750.

@greeatzy @TheGlenlivet Thanks for the info =]

9 hours ago, seon123 said:

Whisper M 450W, RM550x 2018 or Straight Power 11 450W. Whisper M has multi rail, a FDB fan, individual PCIe cables, and uses the Corsair type 4 pinout. RMx is the quietest at higher loads, uses the Corsair type 4 pinout, and has a within spec hold up time. Straight Power 11 has multi rail, a FDB fan and inidvidual PCIe cables. Using the Corsair type 4 pinout will make finding custom cables a lot easier.

You don't need anywhere near 450W for your system, let alone 850W. The 1070 is a 150W card, so expect the system to draw about 220W under a gaming load.

Are you sure 450W will be enough if I want to upgrade in the future? And I've heard it's best to only use 2/3 of the PSU capabilities max? And if I want to upgrade to a RTX 2080 and i9 9900 sometime won't I get problems with my wattage overhead? (if that's the right term)

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, DreadZeppelin said:

Are you sure 450W will be enough if I want to upgrade in the future? And I've heard it's best to only use 2/3 of the PSU capabilities max? And if I want to upgrade to a RTX 2080 and i9 9900 sometime won't I get problems with my wattage overhead? (if that's the right term)

Whoever said that you should load the PSU at max (insert percentage below 100 here) is absolutely clueless. Are you going to upgrade to an €800 GPU? Don't base your PSU choice on some arbitrary non realistic criterion. 

If you actually are planning on upgrading, just get the Whisper M 550W or Straight Power 11 550W. The RM550x has two PCIe connectors on a single cable, so I recommend not using it for GPUs with a TDP above 225W. 

:)

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, seon123 said:

Whoever said that you should load the PSU at max (insert percentage below 100 here) is absolutely clueless. Are you going to upgrade to an €800 GPU? Don't base your PSU choice on some arbitrary non realistic criterion. 

If you actually are planning on upgrading, just get the Whisper M 550W or Straight Power 11 550W. The RM550x has two PCIe connectors on a single cable, so I recommend not using it for GPUs with a TDP above 225W. 

Well not now but seeing as a good PSU should last around 10 years afaik I want to buy it with upgrades in mind. Does it matter if the TDP of a GPU gets close to the 225W you mentioned? Because the RTX 2080 for example has a TDP of 215W (Google) and what with progress in the field being what it is won't overall wattage use keep going down?

Any way, I'm probably going for the straight power 11 550W you recommended.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×