Borderlands 3 vs Ghsot Recon Breakpoint (AMD game Bundle)

Katarn

I noticed that a choice between two games + 3 month Xbox Game Pass comes in a bundle for purchasing an AMD card and/or CPU (I'm buying both the R5 3600 and the 5700 XT).

So... which of the two should I get?

On the one hand, I am not much of a Borderlands fan (I've only played the second one, I liked it, but the loot/grind system does not appeal to me). On the other hand, Ghost Recon Breakpoint is getting some rather bad reviews (and I have never played a Ghost Recon title).

I have no inherent preferences either way... I'll just get whichever one is the better game.

So - what would you recommend?

Both are fine games, I think the strongest point to get Ghost Recon is for the very beautiful graphics although that game is probably going to be a p2win over stuffed with micro-transactions which upsets me.

I wish Ubisoft would make another Splinter Cell game with focus on single player.

Bordelands has a lot of performance issues still and well it's a bit grindy indeed but if you like that sort of FPS game it's still a good pick... I think I'd go with it myself because it feels like you do get a full game without the need to dump more $ on it.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Borderlands 3 hands down. Only game I ever purchased within a month of release and it was worth it. Played through it once really fast because the story was so good. Now i've been playing it constantly to try to get some guns i can use to play on mayhem 3. awesome game

35 minutes ago, Katarn said:

So... which of the two should I get?

Ghost Recon. The bad reviews are because it's basically the same as Wildlands. Wildlands is a game I've been constantly playing since I got it in late August. It's beautiful, highly engaging and I highly recommend it. Hit 125 hours in just a month and a half of casual play.

Intuitively, I would go for Ghost Recon Breakpoint because it sounds like another game I've been very fond of, namely, Metal Gear Solid V: the Phantom Pain.

With that said, its reviews are not only bad... they're horrible, and people seem to be expecting the game to die within a month or two. It also bothers me that it is by Ubisoft, as the last Ubisoft game I liked (and played, as a matter of fact) was Far Cry 4.

So I'm more inclined towards Borderlands 3, but I have some doubts because of its badly optimized, imbalanced state and (possibly) poor writing.

The choice is essentially between a Ubisoft product, which is European EA, and a Randy Pitchford product, which is a humanoid EA. I'm not complaining though, I mean, nVidia hasit worse.

8 hours ago, Princess Luna said:

I think I'd go with it myself because it feels like you do get a full game without the need to dump more $ on it.

I'd choose it also because my father plays a lot of Borderlands 1 and 2, so I'm sure he'll enjoy 3 as well. With that said, will we need a second copy if we want to play LAN?

Also, has there been mention of future DLCs? I remember Borderlands 2 being doubled by the addition of DLC content: characters and extra missions alike. That does count as extra money for the full product.

8 hours ago, robotsalad said:

Only game I ever purchased within a month of release and it was worth it. Played through it once really fast because the story was so good. Now i've been playing it constantly to try to get some guns i can use to play on mayhem 3. awesome game

What is your experience with its optimization?

What can you tell me about the story that is so good? I've been seeing conflicting opinions about it. Some call it cheesy, others call it not bad but unimpressive. You are the first person I've seen to have thoroughly enjoyed it. Personally, I liked the writing of Borderlands 2. I actually found Tiny Tina, Sir Hammerlock, and Claptrap rather charming. Is it predictable? Does it have politics? Is it catered for a very specific audience?

Also, is there merit outside of the loot, i.e. gunplay, action, interesting environments to explore? What's the community like?

8 hours ago, Intransigent said:

Ghost Recon. The bad reviews are because it's basically the same as Wildlands.

Negative reviews tend to compare it to Wildlands and they make it sound inferior.

Glitches, uninspired envrionments, bad graphics (character animations), sloppy sound design, run-of-the-mill gunplay (without so much as bullet trajectories)... ACG gave it the lowest score next to "never touch"

3 hours ago, Katarn said:

Negative reviews tend to compare it to Wildlands and they make it sound inferior.

Glitches, uninspired envrionments, bad graphics (character animations), sloppy sound design, run-of-the-mill gunplay (without so much as bullet trajectories)... ACG gave it the lowest score next to "never touch"

This is why I highly recommend Wildlands. It can be obtained for $10.00 to $15.00 and provides a gorgeous environment with engaging gameplay.

So apparently The Outer Worlds is also on the list. We know next to nothing about it so far (because it has not been released yet), but it looks promising.

so... Outer Worlds vs Borderlands 3.

Opinions?

8 hours ago, Intransigent said:

This is why I highly recommend Wildlands. It can be obtained for $10.00 to $15.00 and provides a gorgeous environment with engaging gameplay.

That is a good advice, but Wildlands is not included in the bundle.

I didn't know Borderlands 3 was badly optimized. It runs excellent on my hardware, but that could be because my stuff is fairly high-end.

I haven't completed the game yet, but so far it's been a lot of fun. The story is well-written so far, and the characters are suitably borderlandsy. I'm not sure what was so bothersome with the loot in your OP, but it's pretty much the same. Lots and lots of loot, tons of guns and other crap. The items are much more varied, doing a lot of different things. For example, in Borderlands 2 the shields only had a few effects like: turtle (massive shield, reduced health), spike damage, explosion on depletion, and like 1 or 2 more I can't remember. Now the shields can absorb bullets, you can project your shield, etc etc.

This is one of the best games when it comes to loot. They give you a lot of it. You have choices upon choices.

The vault hunters you can play as are pretty awesome as well. The Siren can do some sick shit with her powers. You finally feel like a magical badass. You got a dude who has pets you can sic on people. I'm currently playing as him. The skill-trees are better. You can augment your powers now with different effects.

RTX 2080 Founders Edition | Ryzen 7 2700x

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RTX ALL the things!

2 hours ago, Katarn said:

so... Outer Worlds vs Borderlands 3. Opinions? That is a good advice, but Wildlands is not included in the bundle.

You don't have to buy some bundle you know. Build a PC. Buy Wildlands for $10.00 on its next sale. Buy the original Borderlands with all its DLC for $1.00 to $4.00 the next time it hits around that price. And call it a day.

Borderlands 3 is nothing special to ever worry about when there's three other Borderlands games available for cheap as can be and provide the same experience. Go here, kill this, collect loot, go here, kill this, collect loot. Rinse and repeat.

They're diferent games, for me, Borderlands 3 is the one to go, I've been playing it since it release and it's a great game, its better in every way than his predecessors. I only could give a bad word on it and it's because his mayhem system. And it's perfomance haha.