First gaming / workstation build (high-ish)

Budget

Between 2000 and 3000 euro for the PC. Already have a great UW 144hz monitor, mouse, keyboard, etc.

Goal

I'm building this system primarily for gaming on my 4k television and ultrawide monitor on ultra/high settings. It's also being used for software engineering tasks and running multiple virtual machines at once. Therefor the 3900x and 32GB RAM.

What I'm looking for

I'm looking for a powerful workhorse which is as silent as possible under heavy load. That's why I've picked the case and AIO watercooling. I'd rather buy a more powerful pc right now and be able to use it for heavier tooling in the future than having to upgrade in a few months.

My current systems are a Dell XPS 7590 BN79015 and a Dell XPS 9570 BNX97003. I'm looking for a PC which is more powerful and hopefully a lot more silent when running a few VM's. I'm going for a closed off case (home-office) so RGB is not a necessity at all.

What I need help with

1. Are all the components compatible with each-other?

2. Are there components worth a down- or upgrade for my goal?

3. Are there upgrades available (necessary) to make the PC as silent as possible?  

Parts

* Don't look at the prices shown in the PCPP table, I'm ordering from The Netherlands and there are almost no stores affiliated with the website. Therefor the euro prices are completely out of normal store rates.

Nothing really stands out as a NEED to change to me. You could try to find some DDR4-3600 memory to give a bump to Ryzen but I don't think it's much over 3200 and you could probably manually dial in a 3600 memory OC anyway with the 3200 RAM.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Water pumps used in AIOs can be fairly loud, so keep that in mind.  Honestly I would go with high end air cooler as they are way more reliable and not loud. Know from experience.

I would also get some high end Noctua or be quite! fans to balance the airflow while maintaining silent operation.

Everything else looks fine.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

3 minutes ago, Spinbot said:

Why would you get this and not the 1tb Sabrent that @LukeSavenije recommended? Is it because SaBrEnT iS a No NaMe ChInEsE BrAnD?

sabrent isn't the most known for it's ssd's i guess

i just see it as flash forward (sandisk+toshiba), as they made the nand for it

and what was wrong with the motherboard, case, gpu and ram i provided?

11 minutes ago, Spinbot said:

Why would you get this and not the 1tb Sabrent that @LukeSavenije recommended? Is it because SaBrEnT iS a No NaMe ChInEsE BrAnD?

Well, that's because it isn't sold on most reputable dutch PC part webshops. Importing it would take about 5-7 extra days of delivery.

6 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

sabrent isn't the most known for it's ssd's i guess

and what was wrong with the motherboard, case, gpu and ram i provided?

I guess nothing, but could you tell me what the benefit of those GPU, motherboard and RAM would be over my initial choice? I'm happy to switch it around but e.g. the GPU (which I had in my list) should have better cooling. I don't really care about the budget, just the quality of the parts / overall build :)

5 minutes ago, CasJ said:

Well, that's because it isn't sold on most reputable dutch PC part webshops

we have another dutch guy here

https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/1248017/adata-xpg-sx6000-pro-1tb.html

the mobo is not needed, as a 3900x pulls about as much as a 2700x, and the tomahawk max works out of the box with 3900x and has no chipset fan which would make it a bit more quiet

the ram was mostly because this kit is micron e as far as i'm aware, which clocks better and the gpu you're right on

33 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

we have another dutch guy here

https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/1248017/adata-xpg-sx6000-pro-1tb.html

the mobo is not needed, as a 3900x pulls about as much as a 2700x, and the tomahawk max works out of the box with 3900x and has no chipset fan which would make it a bit more quiet

the ram was mostly because this kit is micron e as far as i'm aware, which clocks better and the gpu you're right on

Hey, thanks for the tips again. I wanted to add a M.2 WiFi 6 card with bluetooth to be able to connect my headset and other devices. I have a 1Gbps wired connection which I will hook up the PC itself.

The tomahawk only has one M.2 slot. Do you think another network card would be better? Or do I need to look into other wireless solutions for Bluetooth & network?

7 minutes ago, CasJ said:

Hey, thanks for the tips again. I wanted to add a M.2 WiFi 6 card with bluetooth to be able to connect my headset and other devices

ah... that makes sense

you could also just get a wifi ac card with wifi, they're much cheaper and fit on the pcie 1x slot

54 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1B27_j9NDPU3cNlj2HKcrfpJKHkOf-Oi1DbuuQva2gT4/edit#gid=0

As you can see, quite a lot of drives have Toshiba 64L 3D TLC NAND. 

Instead you should be seeing the Rocket as a Phison E12 Reference drive :D

15 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

ah... that makes sense

you could also just get a wifi ac card with wifi, they're much cheaper and fit on the pcie 1x slot

Thanks, I'll look into these cards. The tomahawk does seem like the best option for my needs. I'll update the PCPP list later today.

15 hours ago, hello_there_123 said:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1B27_j9NDPU3cNlj2HKcrfpJKHkOf-Oi1DbuuQva2gT4/edit#gid=0

As you can see, quite a lot of drives have Toshiba 64L 3D TLC NAND. 

Instead you should be seeing the Rocket as a Phison E12 Reference drive :D

Very informative list, highly appreciated!

8 minutes ago, CasJ said:

Thanks, I'll look into these cards. The tomahawk does seem like the best option for my needs. I'll update the PCPP list later today.

and just for your info: the max boards have a bigger bios chip and guaranteed comparability with 3000 series

6 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

and just for your info: the max boards have a bigger bios chip and guaranteed comparability with 3000 series

Great! I'm still unsure about the mobo. The x570 seems like a bad choice considering a few reviews saying it's really loud. But does the Tomahawk Max outperform this board? Is there a large difference and how future-proof is it?

The price difference just seems so large.

Just now, CasJ said:

But does the Tomahawk Max outperform this board?

no, you're talking about different classes. but both don't have a problem handling a 3900x with a bit of airflow

the biggest difference is that x570 has support for pcie 4, but that's unnecessary except if you buy a pcie 4 nvme ssd right now, for GPUs a 2.0 16x link recently got saturated by the titan v and 2080 ti

37 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

no, you're talking about different classes. but both don't have a problem handling a 3900x with a bit of airflow

the biggest difference is that x570 has support for pcie 4, but that's unnecessary except if you buy a pcie 4 nvme ssd right now, for GPUs a 2.0 16x link recently got saturated by the titan v and 2080 ti

I see, I've looked into the bandwidth difference and it's not huge. The speeds of PCIe 3.0 seems like it's enough for the upcoming years (SSD-wise). I'll go with the MSI Tomahawk b450 Max then. Thanks again for your help.

1 minute ago, CasJ said:

I see, I've looked into the bandwidth difference and it's not huge. The speeds of PCIe 3.0 seems like it's enough for the upcoming years (SSD-wise). I'll go with the MSI Tomahawk b450 Max then. Thanks again for your help.

alright

have fun with it!