will 3rd party leds connect to my mobo 12v rgb port

Go to solution Solved by MrSimplicity,

As long as the connector on the LEDs fit your motherboard and the Mobo has an RBG controller in theory it should work just fine. The only true risk you run is overloading your PSU but unless you have a PSU that is barely enough to run the system already you shouldn't have any issues with it.

I found some 3rd party 16 ft led strips and I was wondering if i got an extension to run out of my case would it be possible to hook up to the 12 volt rgb port on my MSI tomahawk motherboard or would that run the risk of breaking or not working at all or should i just use the included controller or app / wall plug

As long as the connector on the LEDs fit your motherboard and the Mobo has an RBG controller in theory it should work just fine. The only true risk you run is overloading your PSU but unless you have a PSU that is barely enough to run the system already you shouldn't have any issues with it.

CPU: Intel Core i9-10900K 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUO III 360 ARGB White Edition All-in-one AIO Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z490-E GAMING ATX LGA1200 Motherboard 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory Boosted to 4400MHz

Storage: 6 various HDDs and SSDs
Video Card: ASUS ROG Strix 3090
Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL 
Power Supply: Asus ROG Thor 1000w
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro
Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G9 OLED 49"
Keyboard: Logitech G915 
Mouse: Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED
Headphones: Sennheiser RS 175

Mic: Blue Yeti