Suggestions on Build For a Friend

Drovic

Hello,

I'm currently building a enthusiast build in the $3000 price range and now my friend wants to join in the fun and build one for himself. He is looking for something more in the $1500 price range. He has all peripherals so this budget is just for the cpu. When looking at top of the line stuff figuring out what parts are best is pretty cut and dry, but there are a lot more options when going into the $1500 price range on what parts to use. I would love some suggestions on builds that I could recommend to him.

Thanks.

1 minute ago, Drovic said:

He has all peripherals so this budget is just for the cpu

I think you mean PC? Unless he's shooting for a Xeon platinum

Here's a part list if your intended budget was for USD

If you want to get below that $1500 point, drop the SSD to 512GB

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, that was bad typing I meant PC.

He is Canadian, but I'm shopping around $1500 USD factoring in that it will be more in Canadian.

I also see there is no cooling in the build you provided?

5 minutes ago, Drovic said:

The Ryzen 7 3700X comes with a stock cooler that does a decent job at keeping temps in check.

5 minutes ago, Drovic said:

Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, that was bad typing I meant PC.

He is Canadian, but I'm shopping around $1500 USD factoring in that it will be more in Canadian.

be sure to quote people so that we see your responses.

The CPU has a decent stock cooler so that would be fine to keep, feel free to buy something fancier if you feel like it.

Make sure you use the appropriate regional currency for your topic, or else we will make the wrong parts choices. This list is way better in the Canadian market.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

What is he doing with the system ?

What monitor does he have ?

7 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

What is he doing with the system ?

What monitor does he have ?

I believe he is using a 120 hz monitor and it's just a general gaming machine. He would like to keep it around 1700-1800 Canadian.

22 minutes ago, hello_there_123 said:

Well, you are paying 116 cad for less than CX quality, and that's when RMx 550 is $110...

I think it's the cheapest B+ or higher that's full modular, so I went with it, not taht it would hurt to go for CXM or something. Also 650 for quieter fan, also not necessary.

Primary PC:

8 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

not taht it would hurt to go for CXM or somethin

cxm would hurt

cx wouldn't

20 minutes ago, Drovic said:

I believe he is using a 120 hz monitor and it's just a general gaming machine. He would like to keep it around 1700-1800 Canadian.

Something like this would do fine. The RX 5700 XT is good for 1080p/1440p. An R5 3600 is good value for gaming.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($260.50 @ Vuugo) 
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO CPU Cooler  ($59.85 @ Amazon Canada) 
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($154.99 @ Memory Express) 
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($83.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($129.95 @ Vuugo) 
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card  ($549.00 @ Powertop) 
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB ATX Mid Tower Case  ($121.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Total: $1460.26
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-05 17:05 EDT-0400

12 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

cxm would hurt

cx wouldn't

o i forgot that CXM wasn't in B+

Primary PC:

36 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

Something like this would do fine. The RX 5700 XT is good for 1080p/1440p. An R5 3600 is good value for gaming.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($260.50 @ Vuugo) 
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO CPU Cooler  ($59.85 @ Amazon Canada) 
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($154.99 @ Memory Express) 
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($83.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($129.95 @ Vuugo) 
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card  ($549.00 @ Powertop) 
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB ATX Mid Tower Case  ($121.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Total: $1460.26
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-05 17:05 EDT-0400

This is what I came up with. Let me know your thoughts.

1 hour ago, Fasauceome said:

be sure to quote people so that we see your responses.

The CPU has a decent stock cooler so that would be fine to keep, feel free to buy something fancier if you feel like it.

Make sure you use the appropriate regional currency for your topic, or else we will make the wrong parts choices. This list is way better in the Canadian market.

What are your thoughts on this? 

1 minute ago, Drovic said:

Not really that much more performance, but you are paying an extra $400 for it. 

The RX 5700 XT isn't that far behind the 2070 Super. Slower in some games but faster in others. Not worth an extra $150.

The R5 3600 is better value than the R5 3600X although I believe that AMD are doing a free game thing so you would have to look at that. 

That cooler is overkill. And a B450 board is plenty for a 6 core. You can still run an 8 core on the Tomahawk and a 12 core at a push with some additional VRM airflow.

Airflow with that case isn't very good. 

Just now, lee32uk said:

Re the free game with the R5 3600X:

https://www.amd.com/en/gaming/raise-the-game

Thanks for the information. He wants a 2070 super which is kind of why I put that in there. Also the free game pretty much offsets the price difference as you showed on the 3600 vs. 3600x. I could swap the motherboard out for a b450 and save $80 or so. As for cooling an air cooler will be fine, but I think he wants an aio. I'd probably go with a dark rock pro, but that's kind of up to him. 

58 minutes ago, Drovic said:

Thanks for the information. He wants a 2070 super which is kind of why I put that in there. Also the free game pretty much offsets the price difference as you showed on the 3600 vs. 3600x. I could swap the motherboard out for a b450 and save $80 or so. As for cooling an air cooler will be fine, but I think he wants an aio. I'd probably go with a dark rock pro, but that's kind of up to him. 

You get a free game with the 5700XT as well (I did an edit above). Of course if he wants to pay extra for the 2070 Super then of course that is his decision.

Same goes for the cooler. I would rather have a 3700X and stock cooler for example over a 3600X and $120 AIO. Again it is his call ?

59 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

You get a free game with the 5700XT as well (I did an edit above). Of course if he wants to pay extra for the 2070 Super then of course that is his decision.

Same goes for the cooler. I would rather have a 3700X and stock cooler for example over a 3600X and $120 AIO. Again it is his call ?

So if he gets the 3700x you don't think there is a need for any other cooler besides the one it comes with?

10 minutes ago, Drovic said:

So if he gets the 3700x you don't think there is a need for any other cooler besides the one it comes with?

The stock cooler is decent enough. Obviously an aftermarket one would be better. But for the same overall price I would take a 3700X and stock cooler over a 3600X and AIO as you would be getting an extra 2 cores/4 threads with the 3700X. It will last a bit longer before needing an upgrade over the 3600X.