NVIDIA moves to Samsung EUV 7nm from TSMC for 1H2020 GPU launch

MadDuke

I'm here more focused on the moving from TSMC to Samsung fabs part then the (quite likely) confirmed rumor of the GPU launch.

I think this move could greatly benefit both NVIDIA and AMD.  Simply put. Seeing the volume AMD is putting out with Ryzen which should only increase in the mid-term. Seeing as their both GPUs and CPUs are on 7nm with a plan to move the next year CPU to 7nm+.  Capacity wise together with apple this looks like a sound move.

Intro from the original article:

"Ladies and gents, we have our third confirmation of NVIDIA’s Ampere-based graphics card launching in 2020. While we previously knew they were going to launch in 2020, we didn’t know which half and thanks to the report by Igor’s Lab we know it’s going to be sooner rather than later. Leaked EEC certification and a report by Taiwan’s top tech publication, Digitimes, puts the Ampere graphics card on Samsung’s 7nm node and will represent a significant performance upgrade over Turing counterparts."

Original article:

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-next-generation-ampere-7nm-graphics-cards-landing-1h-2020/

The news of them moving to samsung is actually somewhat old.
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/samsung-nvidia-7nm-ampere-tsmc,39583.html

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

5 minutes ago, MeatFeastMan said:

First half 2020 eh? Well, thanks for screwing over so many people who have just bought Super cards! I'm sure they'll be eternally grateful for your actions, Nvidia.

You're talking about between 9 months and a year between the Super launch and Ampere. 

If you don't want to get "screwed over" by newer versions of existing products being released, then just never buy anything ever. 

17 minutes ago, MeatFeastMan said:

Because waiting 5 or more months when you want/need it today is fine right?

Buyers remorse is real but yeah we can't just always wait the next best thing.... either ways I can not wait to phase out my 1080 Ti and buy a 3080 Ti 9_9

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

19 minutes ago, MeatFeastMan said:

First half 2020 eh? Well, thanks for screwing over so many people who have just bought Super cards! I'm sure they'll be eternally grateful for your actions, Nvidia.

i agree, how dare they try and make their new products better than their last ones!

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

29 minutes ago, MeatFeastMan said:

Who could have foreseen that there'd be new GPUs in the future! There's only a new GPU every 9-18 months!

I bought a Super card and I don't really care if there's a faster card in the future. That's just how PC hardware goes.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT | ASUS ROG Strix X470-F | 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB @3400MHz | EVGA RTX 2080S XC Ultra | EVGA GQ 650 | HP EX920 1TB / Crucial MX500 500GB / Samsung Spinpoint 1TB | Cooler Master H500M

I don't have a problem with them releasing new cards... but how often do people really replace theirs? I skip at least 2 generations on average... my last 3 cards have the R9 280X, the RX580 and now the RX5700XT. Technically the 580 to the 5700 is only a single generation... but it was a little over 2yrs between them and I only paid £105 for my RX580 brand new (Amazon price guarantee mistake). If I'd paid the retail £300 or so... I wouldn't have upgraded right now. and I got a good deal on the 5700XT, so both those cards only cost me £430... or £215 each on average.

So if AMD don't have a response to the next gen of nVida cards... they'll just bump the prices again... and rumoured big Navi is only supposed to be on par with the 2080 super... so could be lagging behind if/when it comes out next year... Hopefully the RDNA will mature and be competitive with the high end... and drive down prices for the benefit of everyone.

System 1: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro, Ryzen 5 2600X, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz, Sapphire 5700XT, 250GB NVME WD Black, 2x Crucial MX5001TB, 2x Seagate 3TB, H115i AIO, Sharkoon BW9000 case with corsair ML fans, EVGA G2 Gold 650W Modular PSU, liteon bluray/dvd/rw.. NO RGB aside from MB and AIO pump. Triple 27" Monitor setup (1x 144hz, 2x 75hz, all freesync/freesync 2)

System 2: Asus M5 MB, AMD FX8350, 16GB DDR3, Sapphire RX580, 30TB of storage, 250GB SSD, Silverstone HTPC chassis, Corsair 550W Modular PSU, Noctua cooler, liteon bluray/dvd/rw, 4K HDR display (Samsung TV)

System 3 & 4: nVidia shield TV (2017 & 2019) Pro with extra 128GB samsung flash drives.

8 minutes ago, melete said:

Who could have foreseen that there'd be new GPUs in the future! There's only a new GPU every 9-18 months! 

And that's not even accounting for the fact that the Super lineup is a pretty minor refresh of cards that will be 18+ months old by the time Ampere rolls around. 

If anything I'm honestly pretty disappointed that we are getting nothing meaningful from Nvidia this entire year. The Super cards are fine, but they are basically just wheel spinning while we wait for the (hopefully) big next generational leap. 

6 hours ago, MeatFeastMan said:

If you were a real pc enthusiast then you would want pc hardware to get better as fast as possible and not stagnate just so people don't have to feel bad about buyers remorse. I mean if you buy a card that gives you excellent performance then there really should be no buyers remorse. This sentiment honestly baffles me beyond belief. I guess we should praise Intel for making the i7 2600k make people feel really good about their purchase by doing nothing for 5 generations of cpus. 

16 hours ago, Waffles13 said:

You're talking about between 9 months and a year between the Super launch and Ampere. 

If you don't want to get "screwed over" by newer versions of existing products being released, then just never buy anything ever. 

Ppl forget that you don’t have to upgrade every generation

more like every 3 or 4 lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

I'm hoping to see NVENC/NVDEC - support for AV1. That'll get me to buy a new GPU when they launch.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

16 hours ago, Anomnomnomaly said:

So if AMD don't have a response to the next gen of nVida cards... they'll just bump the prices again... and rumoured big Navi is only supposed to be on par with the 2080 super... so could be lagging behind if/when it comes out next year... Hopefully the RDNA will mature and be competitive with the high end... and drive down prices for the benefit of everyone.

If AMD doesn't have anything to compete at the high end. Nvidia will act like Nvidia, prices its top end card as high as they want. $1999 RTX 3080Ti is coming. The more you pay, the more you save.

Will future galaxy phones come with ray tracing?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

34 minutes ago, williamcll said:

Will future galaxy phones come with ray tracing?

Probably not, since Samsung is partnering with AMD for their GPUs. But if AMD does put in raytracing tech then we could be seeing some of that in Samsung devices.

21 hours ago, realpetertdm said:

Would this move bring any kind of performance improvements compared to using TSMC's 7nm line?

Probably not. The most likely reason why they're going with Samsung is cos TSMC is kinda already over-comitted to its existing customers and there's no way Nvidia could get production started until around February 2020 with TSMC since TSMC now has a 6 month lead time for 7nm products.

AMD is in the door now because they got in early but TSMC needs to scale up their 7nm to be full production cos right now it's nowhere near full production capacity.

Samsung is only just starting their 7nm EUV now so I would expect new Nvidia cards no sooner than June or July 2020.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

11 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Probably not. The most likely reason why they're going with Samsung is cos TSMC is kinda already over-comitted to its existing customers and there's no way Nvidia could get production started until around February 2020 with TSMC since TSMC now has a 6 month lead time for 7nm products.

AMD is in the door now because they got in early but TSMC needs to scale up their 7nm to be full production cos right now it's nowhere near full production capacity.

Samsung is only just starting their 7nm EUV now so I would expect new Nvidia cards no sooner than June or July 2020.

I thought Samsung's 7nm EUV process was already ready for mass production back in Q2?

4 minutes ago, realpetertdm said:

I thought Samsung's 7nm EUV process was already ready for mass production back in Q2?

Not for High Performance silicon it wasn't.

TSMC and Samsung have High Performance processes and Low Power processors. Low Power 7nm EUV has been good for a while iirc. It's just that High Performance is slow to ramp up right now.

Edit: And to clarify what the differences between them are, high performance processes are the ones that can do 4GHz or higher. Low power processes have a bad time trying to go above 3GHz but they're super efficient and power sipping.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

Not for High Performance silicon it wasn't.

TSMC and Samsung have High Performance processes and Low Power processors. Low Power 7nm EUV has been good for a while iirc. It's just that High Performance is slow to ramp up right now.

Oh, got it. Thanks

NVIDIA's next-gen Ampere GPU will launch in 1H 2020. The first Ampere GPU will possibly be a GeForce RTX 2080 Ti killer.

A new EEC certification was spotted by DigiTimes and teases Ampere-powered GeForce graphics cards (picked up by WCCFTech). There's nothing new here about its release, but we should expect a big upgrade in performance with Ampere on the 7nm node (over the 14nm node used on Turing). NVIDIA will be fighting AMD's second-gen Navi GPU architecture in the second half of 2020, something that will enable proper 4K 60FPS gaming -- and I'm sure, feature ray tracing of some kind. NVIDIA's next-gen Ampere GPU should hopefully enable higher resolution and frame rates with ray tracing enabled, something that I'm sure it will have no problems doing.

NVIDIA-Ampere-GA104.jpg.0e4aad0a59b2fb44f7f17c7cc28d15fb.jpg

Source: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/67946/yep-nvidias-next-gen-ampere-gpu-launch-1h-2020/index.html

On 10/6/2019 at 1:31 AM, bcredeur97 said:

Ppl forget that you don’t have to upgrade every generation

more like every 3 or 4 lol

This is the biggest issue I find on forums these days,  People love to tell us how shit Company X (cough cough Intel/Nvidia cough) is being for releasing a new product that is much better too soon or that requires a new motherboard.  but these people don't upgrade every gen, they go 5 years on average between major upgrades.  It's basically complaining for the sake of complaining. 

Comments like "last gen buyers being screwed over"  actually prove to us that these companies are not sandbagging and pumping out new tech often.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

21 minutes ago, mr moose said:

This is the biggest issue I find on forums these days,  People love to tell us how shit Company X (cough cough Intel/Nvidia cough) is being for releasing a new product that is much better too soon or that requires a new motherboard.  but these people don't upgrade every gen, they go 5 years on average between major upgrades.  It's basically complaining for the sake of complaining. 

Comments like "last gen buyers being screwed over"  actually prove to us that these companies are not sandbagging and pumping out new tech often.

YOU SHUT YOUR GAD DANG ACCURATE MOUTH!

I'll upgrade eventually.....

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

2 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

YOU SHUT YOUR GAD DANG ACCURATE MOUTH!

I'll upgrade eventually.....

It's O.K, I got to 8 years on my last build and only upgraded because I wanted to not because I had to (my old system still works fine for everything I do). 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Just now, mr moose said:

It's O.K, I got to 8 years on my last build and only upgraded because I wanted to not because I had to (my old system still works fine for everything I do). 

I keep meaning to upgrade for more cores, but then X299 was a hot mess, and Threadripper had issues, and now the 3900X is MIA. Now I'm thinking maybe next year, for Whatever-Late from Intel, or Zen 3; with a new 7nm GPU.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q