Worth buying Radeon VII for a good deal?

Octavialicious

I found a used one for like $500, I really like AMD so I was wondering if it's troll to buy it? Im going for custom cooling so thermals wont be an issue, but does the limited success mean that it's life expectancy is gonna be shit? Or will they keep it updated?

Ty for ur thoughts 

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

being still Vega based like Vega 56, 64, Radeon Pros and even the iGPUs, I doubt Radeon VII's lifespan will end anytime soon.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Generally speaking, AMD cards get better with age. RDNA is brand new, I doubt AMD will be dropping support for GCN any time soon.

In fact only a few days ago they added Radeon Image Sharpening support to Vega based products with driver 19.9.3.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

6 minutes ago, Octavialicious said:

Or will they keep it updated?

they will keep it updated, its GCN and a workstation card. 

6 minutes ago, Octavialicious said:

I really like AMD so I was wondering if it's troll to buy it?

its not a terribly performing card, but dont expect any "finewine" to appear over the years, it will be fine tho. 

you would probably have more success with a rtx 2080/2070s or maybe even the 5700xt. 

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

Generally speaking, AMD cards get better with age. RDNA is brand new, I doubt AMD will be dropping support for GCN any time soon.

worth noting that optimization wise, GCN and RDNA are very similar due to consoles being a thing. so its not a lot of extra work for them to get GCN optimizations straight from Navi. 

17 minutes ago, Octavialicious said:

It's fine if you really need 16GBs of VRAM

Otherwise just wait for the big navi GPU that's coming your 2060 super is fine.

or get an RX 5700 of some kind, there's a $400 power color model in the US, and it's equal to or only slightly behind the Radeon VII in games, though it's still not a major upgrade even taking into account selling the 2060 super.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

8 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

It's fine if you really need 16GBs of VRAM

Otherwise just wait for the big navi GPU that's coming your 2060 super is fine.

or get an RX 5700 of some kind, there's a $400 power color model in the US, and it's equal to or only slightly behind the Radeon VII in games, though it's still not a major upgrade even taking into account selling the 2060 super.

probably wouldnt be worth upgrading but my BF needs a new card so I have to buy something anyways 

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

Seems like a fair price, if you want a beefy AMD card i would say go for it

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

15 minutes ago, Octavialicious said:

probably wouldnt be worth upgrading but my BF needs a new card so I have to buy something anyways 

I'd just go for an RX 5700 then, going to run a lot cooler/quieter even without water cooling. Performance isn't much slower.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

I'd just go for an RX 5700 then, going to run a lot cooler/quieter even without water cooling. Performance isn't much slower.

well I had one, it has major issues keeping its clock speeds going with league of legends which is the main game I play

someone else with the card has the same issue to confirm and it's still not fixed

i luv AMD, so im hoping since the VII is vega based (and my old vega was fine with LoL) that it wont have the same issue with league 

i would recommend the 5700xt instead. There are plenty of options in the market soon. Altough XFX is a good brand their product in this line is not as good as others on cooling behavior. Msi evoke is not that good too. Powercolor / Sapphire / Gb are good choices till others appear

13 minutes ago, Octavialicious said:

well I had one, it has major issues keeping its clock speeds going with league of legends which is the main game I play

Well they just released a new 19.9.3 driver, but I can't imagine why it would have issues running LoL. 

Could fix the low clock speed thing by running something else in the background to force it's clocks up, some people don't seem to have the issue though.

Spoiler

20 hours ago, Octavialicious said:

I found a used one for like $500, I really like AMD so I was wondering if it's troll to buy it? Im going for custom cooling so thermals wont be an issue, but does the limited success mean that it's life expectancy is gonna be shit? Or will they keep it updated?

Ty for ur thoughts 

As some one who bought this card on the ignorance of the 5700xt and super cards this is what I'll say....no just no. Yes this card is in my rig, yes this card does a good job but only and ONLY once you fine tune the card, iv had to dial in my core clocks,undervotl, power limitations and so forth. In truth if I could do it again for this system I would have gone with the 2070 super as in terms of performance there about the same and you get raytracing even though it's limited in implementation in truth go used by anything to get by then by next year or in 2021 once intel releases there cards, rumor mill is AMD might be launching there raytracing based system cards next year and intels will have a system in place during launch of there's if this is confirmed then the raytrace wars will have begun and then its all about who can do it at the best price to performance.

• CPU
    Ryzen 3700x
  • Motherboard
    Asus rog hero vii
  • RAM
    Corsair pro rgb 16gb 3400 oc stock timings
  • GPU
    Radeon Vii
  • Case
    Thermaltake G21 TG
  • Storage
    My digital ssd 250gb pro m.2 (boot) 2tb berracuda 7200rpm +Toshiba x300 4gb 7200rpm
  • PSU
    Evga g3 750