Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How often do you build a new pc?

Don't really build from scratch much. Have been upgrading here and there the last couple years however currently saving up for a upgrade that I hope will last me around 5 years excluding GPU upgrades

Main system

Spoiler
X5650 (4gzh), Hyper 212 Black Edition, Asus Sabertooth X58, 24GB, MSI GTX 1070 AERO 8G OC and ASUS ROG STRIX RX 470 4GB OC, COSMOS II 25th Anniversary Edition, 
HP Omen 25 1080P 144hz monitor

Main server (HP ProLiant ML350 G6)

Spoiler

2x Intel Xeon E5530, 2.40GHz, 4 cores 8 threads (total 8 cores 16 threads), 48GB, Quadro FX3700

Main laptop (HP Omen 15-ax280nd)

Spoiler

i7-7700HQ, 8GB, GTX 1050

(24/7) Application hosting server

Spoiler

(Case) VDG/Chenbro RM13704, AMD 5350, 2,05GHz, 4 cores, 8GB

Storage server (HP ProLiant ML350 G6)

Spoiler

Intel Xeon E5620, 2.40 GHz, 4 cores 8 threads, 8GB

NAS

Spoiler

ReadyNAS 2100, 4x1TB storage with 1TB of usable storage (3 drives used for backups).

I tend to wait until I can afford an appreciable upgrade which normally manages to coincide with a part getting to the point that it's not really sevicable anymore.

If you think of a new PC as a new CPU then I'm on my 3rd custom one, if you look at it from platform (which is what I'm inclined to do) then I'm on the second. I had a really cheap AMD A6-6400K that was barely enough for 20 FPS in Kerbal Space Program on low settings at 1080p. I then upgraded to an Athlon X4 860K in mid 2016. That was not a brilliant chip at the time but it worked well enough with my GTX 960 to get me a good year and a half of fairly good gaming at 1080p (the GTX 960 was seriously underrated as was the Athlon for the price) before I really needed an upgrade (Rise of the Tomb Raider kinda chugged).

Then I hit PC number 2 - AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (I know I seem like a fanboy but I was doing content creation at the time and 6C/12T was too tempting to pass up). This was a big upgrade to the system with DDR4 RAM, a new MOBO and the new CPU (as well as a new case and PSU). I didn't have the money for a new GPU at the time but I was happy with the boost I got from eliminating what CPU bottleneck I had on the Athlon. I then upgraded my GPU at the end of last year to a refurbished GTX 1070 which was a nice improvement over the GTX 960 and I'm sure will last me a while yet. 

So yeah I tend to do a sort of tick-tock approach (just cause Intel gave up on that doesn't mean everyone else has to) of upgrading CPU then GPU.

My intention is to grab a CPU upgrade in a year or so when Ryzen 4000 comes out and the 3700X drops in price since ASUS being the absolute babes they are have given a BIOS update for my first gen mobo to be able to run 3rd gen parts.

So yeah I guess I get a full new system roughly every 2-3 years at the minute but I generally have a major upgrade every 18 months or so in a CPU or GPU upgrade.

I don't think I'll be doing a major upgrade this year, probably something more minor like getting more SSD storage to speed up load times and that sort of thing, although if I wasn't a student who's going to be moving into a flat next year where I'll have to pay for my own electricity, I would probably be making a media server cause I really want to do that.

|| CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (@3.9GHz) || Motherboard: ASUS Prime B350 Plus || Cooler: Arctic Freezer 33 eSports Edition || GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC || Memory: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB C16 (@2933MHz) || SSD: SanDisk 128GB || HDD: WD Blue 2TB, Toshiba 2TB, Transcend 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM550x || Case: Fractal Design Focus G || Monitor: 2x AOC 23” I2369VM IPS Full HD, Samsung 32" LED TV Monitor || Mouse: Logitech G703 Wireless || Keyboard: Cooler Master MK750 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) || Speakers: Dell Stereo Speakers || Headphones: Sennheiser HD 4.40 BT / Samsung Galaxy Buds ||

Maybe every 4 ish years. 

Only thing I do mid upgrades on is GPU and storage

🌲🌲🌲

Judge the product by its own merits, not by the Company that created it.

Don't dilute <good thing> by always trying to focus on, and drag conversation back to, <bad thing>.

🌲🌲🌲

When ever my pc starts to struggle playing games. I've jumped from a 550ti to a gtx 970 and now have a rtx 2070.

When I need to upgrade, I only buy certain parts at a time, motherboard and cpu first, then a gpu. ect

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x  GPU: ASUS Strix rtx 2080 Super RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 8gb x4 PSU: Corsair HX850i Motherboard: ASUS Strix x570-E Storage: Samsung 840 pro, Samsung 970 evo 1tb nvme, segate 2tb Case: NZXT H510I Cooling: Corsair h100i

22 hours ago, mamamia88 said:

how often you guys build a new pc

Whenever the last one bricked or caught on fire... no joke

CPU: Amd Ryzen 3400g 

COOLER: Be Quite Dark Rock Pro 4

MOBO: Aorus x570 elite 

RAM: 2x8 Corsair Vengence 3200 MHz 

SSD: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB

GPU: Powercolour Red Devil RX570 4GB

PSU: Corsair RM750x 80+ Gold

CASE: Coolermaster H500p Mesh

depends...before it was time for a new build if under performing, now its if cpu cant keep up with video cards

I built one a new system in January and then built a new system at the Ryzen launch this summer, only thing I reused was the GPU and a few fans, but when I did the new system I did a full custom loop instead of air so that made even the GPU look like a new component. I figure my current system will not change for the next couple years with the exception of a 3950x and maybe changing out some of the loop components

CPU Ryzen 5800x, Mobo MSI Meg ACE X570, GPU ASUS 6800 TUF, Ram Corsair Vengeance 32gb 3200 mhz, Case Fractal Designs Define R6, Cooling Custom Loop Primarily Corsair Hydro X, Corsair k95, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, LG OLED48C1

Usually, I'll run something for 5-6 years until it just won't cut it anymore. I foolishly built a 7600k system back in 2017 though, and just built a 2700x system a month ago.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 2700X 50th Anniversary

Corsair Vengence LPX 3200mhz 16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

PNY GTX 1060 6GB

ADATA SU800 1TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

RAIDMAX Monster II

beQuiet PureWings 3 140mm x5

Usually every 3ish years. Depends on a lot of things though. I generally sell my PC while the components will still fetch a decent amount of money, so I can dump it into the next build. But I'll also upgrade if I want to try something different, like an ultrawide monitor, or higher refresh rate monitor. Or, if there's a game coming out I want to play, and I want to play it at it's max settings. Current upgrade path:

• 30" UW 144hz monitor with FreeSync, Vega64 GPU, and a new motherboard...so I'll probably just replace the whole system. Likely with an i5 8400.
    This upgrade is to play CoD.
  • 35" UW 100hz with GSync, GTX 1080Ti/2080 Super/Titan xP, Ryzen 3700x, 32GB RAM.
    This upgrade will be next year, to play CyberPunk 2077.

Current PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

19 hours ago, malon said:

new from scratch only when it is needed or worth it.

"New" from recycled pc's 1 or 2 a month, working in IT has its perks 

Wish i could use the laugh and agree at the same time on this post. This is my life completely.

I build at least two-to-three per year; All of which are given away to various charities.