Help, Asus x570 Motherboard, Q-code 02 & VGA light

Go to solution Solved by TheHitmanPK,

This sounds stupid but I had the same issue weeks ago on my ASUS X570 Prime Pro and my 3700x.  I troubleshooted just like you did only to find out it was my monitor. After so long it just needs to be unplugged from power. Didn't think a monitor would prevent post but here we are. Try a different monitor and see if you can boot first. I was getting the same error codes as well. 

Hey friends I'm at a loss for what to do here.

I have a fresh new build with the following specs

• Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (WI-FI) x570 motherboard
  • AMD Ryzen 3700xRyzen 9 where are you
  • Asus Strix NVIDIA RTX 2080
  • Corsair HX750i power supply
  • G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 3200MHz
  • It's a custom loop

But for some reason I can't get it to post (I never got to the BIOS screen). On boot the Q-code led will show error code 02, which translates to AP initialization before microcode loading (after d6 and d7, if relevant) and the white VGA & yellow boot lights would appear.

I think it's a graphics card related problem, but I have no idea what to do at this point. I've

• Updated the BIOS
  • Plugged in the extra 4-pin CPU cable
  • Re-seated the graphics card
  • Booted with one memory module
  • Shuffled the memory modules
  • Discharged the caps by pressing and holding the start button
  • Ruled out the CPU. There was a point earlier before my build was done where I temporarily bought and loaded a Ryzen 3 processor in my system (I was impatientRyzen 9 where are you) and I had the SAME error then.
  • Turned my computer on and off again.

What can I do? What's the issue? What other options do I have before getting a graphics card or motherboard?

This sounds stupid but I had the same issue weeks ago on my ASUS X570 Prime Pro and my 3700x.  I troubleshooted just like you did only to find out it was my monitor. After so long it just needs to be unplugged from power. Didn't think a monitor would prevent post but here we are. Try a different monitor and see if you can boot first. I was getting the same error codes as well. 

27 minutes ago, TheHitmanPK said:

Wow

I decided to try a display port connection instead of an hdmi one, and sure enough it boots!

The motherboard is still displaying the same lights (the vga + boot light, and the qcode 02 error) but only until I get to the bios screen.

Now I guess there's a question of if it was an error or if it was always booting and I didn't know it. Doesn't matter though I have an OS to install.

Thanks so much!

11 hours ago, nmd said:

Wow

I decided to try a display port connection instead of an hdmi one, and sure enough it boots!

The motherboard is still displaying the same lights (the vga + boot light, and the qcode 02 error) but only until I get to the bios screen.

Now I guess there's a question of if it was an error or if it was always booting and I didn't know it. Doesn't matter though I have an OS to install.

Thanks so much!

No problem. I tried 3 different gfx cards and had the same issue. My guess is it was actually booting everytime. Glad it worked! 

• 2 months later...

asus rog strix x570

first boot exact same issue. Swapped for display port and went right into bios

• 2 months later...

I would like to add to this: 

I had the same post issue with the Asus TUF x570 using a Ryzen 5 3600 and a Zotac gtx 1060 gpu. 

After some research, I found that the onboard video doesn’t work because Ryzen only has integrated graphics in their G models. 

I resolved my issue by using a 750ti gpu I had in hand to post, installed all necessary drivers for the board, then rebooted with the 1060. 

everything has been working fine since. Hope this helps others. 

• 2 months later...
On 9/29/2019 at 2:21 PM, TheHitmanPK said:

Similar configuration. Using another monitor helped. Connection: hdmi. Until then I had a boot led on too.

On 9/29/2019 at 2:40 AM, nmd said:

Hey friends I'm at a loss for what to do here.

I have a fresh new build with the following specs

• Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (WI-FI) x570 motherboard
  • AMD Ryzen 3700xRyzen 9 where are you
  • Asus Strix NVIDIA RTX 2080
  • Corsair HX750i power supply
  • G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 3200MHz
  • It's a custom loop

But for some reason I can't get it to post (I never got to the BIOS screen). On boot the Q-code led will show error code 02, which translates to AP initialization before microcode loading (after d6 and d7, if relevant) and the white VGA & yellow boot lights would appear.

I think it's a graphics card related problem, but I have no idea what to do at this point. I've

• Updated the BIOS
  • Plugged in the extra 4-pin CPU cable
  • Re-seated the graphics card
  • Booted with one memory module
  • Shuffled the memory modules
  • Discharged the caps by pressing and holding the start button
  • Ruled out the CPU. There was a point earlier before my build was done where I temporarily bought and loaded a Ryzen 3 processor in my system (I was impatientRyzen 9 where are you) and I had the SAME error then.
  • Turned my computer on and off again.

What can I do? What's the issue? What other options do I have before getting a graphics card or motherboard?

Which screen do you use?

• 7 months later...
On 9/29/2019 at 1:21 PM, TheHitmanPK said:

OMG it’s acctually work thanks

• 2 months later...

To add, as I just recently encountered this on a different mboard (Asus Strix X570-i), I did all what were suggested here, and some from the internet, but what worked for me was to reseat the CMOS battery, which was a pain to do in this board 😒😅. Happy PC building!

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/29/2019 at 4:21 AM, TheHitmanPK said:

Amazing.  The SAME thing had me buy a new motherboard having thought I had fragged my last one with several simultaneous upgrades.  Brand new Asus board was doing same as previous MSI board after assembly.  I had a field monitor (7" HDMI monitor) that worked!! So much relief.  My Dell Curved monitor seemed to not like either Display Port or HDMI inputs.  Had to create an account JUST to thank you and this thread because I want other people to know this is a thing (monitors simply not working on new/upgraded builds).  Livin' and learnin'. 

• 2 months later...

Since I swapped my CPU for the same model, just new, I thought it'd be an easy swap. WRONG. My PC would start but my screen was black and of course I had the Q code 02. I came across this thread and what worked for me was using a different monitor altogether because on the monitor I had connected, it didn't matter whether it was HDMI or Display Port being used. THANK YOU to everyone who posted suggestions on this thread! I created an account just to thank you all and hopefully help someone else out.

• 1 month later...
On 9/29/2019 at 2:21 PM, TheHitmanPK said:

OH MY GOD DUDE THANK YOU THAT WAS THE PROBLEM YOU DESERVE A MEDAL

• 1 month later...

Did anyone elses computers boot, the vga light, boot light, and error code show up and then like 1 minute later shut down?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/29/2019 at 12:21 PM, TheHitmanPK said:

Good to see this thread has stayed alive... This solution worked for me too (on a different motherboard, Asus ROG Strix B550-F, recently installed). I made sure the monitor was plugged in before the PC booted and the problem with the VGA error light no longer occurs. It does sound like a weird solution, but I suppose the monitor is connected to the GPU so there's some logic to it.

• 1 month later...

I had to create an account just to reply to this topic. What a nightmare this issue caused me:

The story began almost a year ago(I think, like everyone I lost track of time), when I decided it was time to build a new PC. My current PC wasn't bad at all(i7 8086K,1080ti). But I wanted to try AMD and get a 30 series. Also, I wanted to try to build a custom water loop for the first time. So armed with patience I go a Newegg and amazon every day refusing to pay scalper price.

For the graphic card, I wanted a 3080. As you know it was never available anywhere. But one day a 3090 FTW3 was available on Newegg. I decided to go for it. A few weeks later I manage to get an Asus dark hero motherboard and a 5900X. All from retailers. I was very proud of myself. It did take months to get all the parts. But I had them.

I start the build process and build my first custom loop. Installing the water block on the 3090 was scary but it went pretty well I thought. 

I enjoyed the pc for a few months before I had to leave on a trip for 2 months for work. When I came back the PC refused to boot with BIOS code 02. It did that before but every time a power cycle or worst case a clear bios was fixing this issue. But this time nothing was working. I remember playing with the display cables a little( I also have a VR headset). But nothing helped. At the time a google search did not help me. And the motherboard manual was no help. Code 02 wasn't even in there.  

So I drain the loop. Remove the GPU thinking that might be the issue as it's the one I modified to put the water block. Plugin my old 1080ti for a quick boot test to see if it post. And it does. I assumed my 3090 was done for. Still, I try it back to see if this time it will POST. It does not. The dreaded code 02. I filled an RMA claim with EVGA. I was doubting that they would accept it and that maybe I was the one who broke it when installing the water block but at the same time it worked for months after. Sadly I did not do a very good job keeping the screws for the original cooler. But I had most of them, EVGA had a very good reputation of not caring if you water-cooled their cards. So I had some hope. 

But that hope was misplaced. They refused my RMA because it was missing screws on the cooler. I was mad at them but mostly at myself. I broke this very expansive card. Now it's a brick. I was also a ltille mad at EVGA for building this reputation of being water-cooled friendly when they refused my RMA for a couple of missing screws. But it was missing screws indeed...  

So for months, this PC sits unused waiting for me to find a new card. And this time I was going to find a card with the water block installed by the manufacturer. I wanted to avoid anything from EVGA. But apparently, that was impossible with those requirements. I finally found a 3080 ti XC3 ULTRA HYDRO COPPER GAMING at a "reasonable price".

I got the card yesterday and started the install today. I had to cut the tubing as the inlet and outlet weren't at the same place as the EK water block I had before. I fill up the loop and boot the PC. CODE 02. WTF? Why was it booting ok with the 1080ti if it's something else than the video card? I go back on google and I find this post. I plug an old monitor I have in the HDMI port. It posts to bios. Was the 3090 actually ok? Now that I cut the tubing I would have to rebuild the loop to try it.

On 10/2/2021 at 9:18 PM, Big Pinguin said:

I had to create an account just to reply to this topic. What a nightmare this issue caused me:

The story began almost a year ago(I think, like everyone I lost track of time), when I decided it was time to build a new PC. My current PC wasn't bad at all(i7 8086K,1080ti). But I wanted to try AMD and get a 30 series. Also, I wanted to try to build a custom water loop for the first time. So armed with patience I go a Newegg and amazon every day refusing to pay scalper price.

For the graphic card, I wanted a 3080. As you know it was never available anywhere. But one day a 3090 FTW3 was available on Newegg. I decided to go for it. A few weeks later I manage to get an Asus dark hero motherboard and a 5900X. All from retailers. I was very proud of myself. It did take months to get all the parts. But I had them.

I start the build process and build my first custom loop. Installing the water block on the 3090 was scary but it went pretty well I thought. 

I enjoyed the pc for a few months before I had to leave on a trip for 2 months for work. When I came back the PC refused to boot with BIOS code 02. It did that before but every time a power cycle or worst case a clear bios was fixing this issue. But this time nothing was working. I remember playing with the display cables a little( I also have a VR headset). But nothing helped. At the time a google search did not help me. And the motherboard manual was no help. Code 02 wasn't even in there.  

So I drain the loop. Remove the GPU thinking that might be the issue as it's the one I modified to put the water block. Plugin my old 1080ti for a quick boot test to see if it post. And it does. I assumed my 3090 was done for. Still, I try it back to see if this time it will POST. It does not. The dreaded code 02. I filled an RMA claim with EVGA. I was doubting that they would accept it and that maybe I was the one who broke it when installing the water block but at the same time it worked for months after. Sadly I did not do a very good job keeping the screws for the original cooler. But I had most of them, EVGA had a very good reputation of not caring if you water-cooled their cards. So I had some hope. 

But that hope was misplaced. They refused my RMA because it was missing screws on the cooler. I was mad at them but mostly at myself. I broke this very expansive card. Now it's a brick. I was also a ltille mad at EVGA for building this reputation of being water-cooled friendly when they refused my RMA for a couple of missing screws. But it was missing screws indeed...  

So for months, this PC sits unused waiting for me to find a new card. And this time I was going to find a card with the water block installed by the manufacturer. I wanted to avoid anything from EVGA. But apparently, that was impossible with those requirements. I finally found a 3080 ti XC3 ULTRA HYDRO COPPER GAMING at a "reasonable price".

I got the card yesterday and started the install today. I had to cut the tubing as the inlet and outlet weren't at the same place as the EK water block I had before. I fill up the loop and boot the PC. CODE 02. WTF? Why was it booting ok with the 1080ti if it's something else than the video card? I go back on google and I find this post. I plug an old monitor I have in the HDMI port. It posts to bios. Was the 3090 actually ok? Now that I cut the tubing I would have to rebuild the loop to try it.

Hi Big Pinguin,

I have my current PC build for about 4 years. In brief: custom loop, AMD Ryzen 1800X, Asus Crosshair VI Hero, MSI 1080 Ti sea hawk x with preinstalled water block, G.Skill ram and Asus PG279Q monitor. Works perfectly fine with Windows 10 64-bit, very stable, never had blue screens, so it's rock solid.

Now the interesting part. I bought a new Asus XG27AQ monitor because I’m building a new system and received it yesterday. Plugged it on the second Display port to test in parallel to my PG279Q monitor, and it worked for about 10 minutes, then suddenly strange things started to happen. PC seemed to work, but Chrome stopped reacting to my clicks, I launched task manager and it started, but it was like frozen, nothing was changing, I was able to switch between the tabs, but the performance graphs were not showing anything and not moving. At this point I was like WTF is going on, I hit Ctrl+Alt+Del to try to sign out, but it just stuck with Windows sign out animation. I had no choice but to force power off. Tried to boot again but it did not POST, with Q-code 22 on the motherboard and CPU led in red. So, I disconnected the new monitor and removed the power from PC completely to let it empty the residual power. Power it on again and this time Q-code shower error 02, but it POST and showed a BIOS message on the screen saying that BIOS started in safe mode. I thought that something was wrong with my CPU. It forced me to go to BIOS, I checked the settings and restarted one more time and now it started fine. Then I plugged in only the new monitor and unplugged the old one, and it worked fine this time.

That seems strange, but I’m pretty sure that the culprit is my new monitor, or display port cable. Never thought that this could happen. In your case I think it has nothing to do with the graphics card, and you should check on the side of the monitor.

The monitor (Samsung G9) works perfectly fine with the 3080ti after plugging in the HDMI in another monitor and then plugging back my main monitor in the Display port. 

The monitor also  doesn't have that issue with the 1080ti. 

It seems to be an issue with 30 series card and the display port. Not sure why but it seems that nothing is getting displayed until you get to the windows boot screen. So if you can't post you wont know why. Also no BIOS access. I kind of feel that EVGA should have been aware of such a behavior since it seems to be happening to at least a few people using a monitor plugged into the display port... 

I will re-install the original cooler on the 3090 and check if it works in my old computer. 

I have found something which can be the possible cause of the issue. Check this link about Displayport pin 20: https://www.cablechick.com.au/blog/the-displayport-pin-20-issue-explained/

• 2 months later...
On 9/29/2019 at 6:21 AM, TheHitmanPK said:

I had this same issue, twice , and thois was my fix also. My monitor was a Sony Braia 75" and the Sony locked up and have to be powered down and the  computer restarted again after the TV restarted to get the computer to boot. It was very strange. It had happened a month earlier also. It's something you would never think was the fix.

• 2 months later...

Same problem here 3090 kingpin with Samsung g9 working fine  I went to bed . Then it wouldnt  come back up in the morning, so I reset everything until I found this . Now I have to go back through and set it back up. Old thread still same old issue . One that's not addressed anywhere else . 

• 3 months later...

DUDE...saved my life.. thank you for that simple fix.. I always over look the simplest methods!!! Thank you!

• 8 months later...

After taking my office PC home with me to diagnose some hardware issues with my home PC, I came back to the office to find my PC not booting with code 02, VGA and boot led both showing. Found this thread, dismissed it as "wtf, there is no way this would ever work" and spent the next 5 hours swapping components and testing various configurations and reset & flashed the bios to no avail. Finally decide to give unplugging the monitors from the power a go and lo and behold, it boots. Big WTF from everyone in the office, and thank you for your service!