Netgear Router Troubleshooting (because Netgear IT support sucks)

A Llama

I've been troubleshooting my Netgear Nighthawk AC1750 (model R6700v2) router. My router will overheat, freeze, and (after resetting) boot-loop.

I started downloading Destiny 2 on Steam yesterday over the 5Ghz, which is putting a heavier load than normal on the network. Download speeds were around 8 MB/s. The troubleshooting I've done points to this as the issue, but I would prefer to not have to throttle my speeds. Any other ideas for troubleshooting/fixes would be appreciated!

Things that I tried that didn't work:

- Updating the firmware

- Plugging the router into a UPS

- Turning on QoS

- Turning off QoS

- Dusting my router

- Calling Netgear, who wouldn't talk to me unless I purchased their extended IT warranty. *extended fart noises*

Things that did work:

- Stopping the download

- Throttling the download (down to 1.5 MB/s now)

TL;DR: Heavy (but manage-able?) load over WiFi, causes the router to freeze. After resetting the router, it will boot-loop. I tried stuff. What else can I do?

3 minutes ago, A Llama said:

What else can I do?

Buy some extra heatsinks from e.g. eBay, open the router up, apply more heatsinks?

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

4 hours ago, A Llama said:

What else can I do?

One router ago I had a DLink DIr835, Flashed it to DDWRT, ran hot as FUCK. Used a laptop cooler connected to the routers USB port for power. It seemed to cool it down and the router worked fairly OK. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.