Help picking first mechanical keyboard

madknight3
Go to solution Solved by AddonCustoms,

I was asking the same last week, I currently have a Logitech g110, and picking up a corsair K70 Cherry MX REDS tomorrow, I do more typing that gaming as well, when I get the keyboard tomorrow I will use it for a bit, then come and let you know what I think.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

I have been using my new Corsair K70 Cherry MX REDs now for an hour or 2, while trying to fix my PC bloody windows 8.1 decided to stop working (did a reinstall that also corrupted, had to get a new USB to install from), anyway, I haven't been typing much on here, but going from Logitech g110, to this isn't as bad as i thought it would be. I am loving the K70 and the MX reds. while typing the only mistakes I am making are missing the keys I want, but I think that is because I have only had 4 hours sleep in the last 2 days.

Haven't got anything planned for tomorrow except playing games, and maybe a bit of coding. So will be using it all day, will update if my views change.

what I love

• The BRIGHT LEDS, they look awesome in the dark, even on the dimmest setting they are brighter than the Logitech g110 lights.
  • Smaller than the G110, as it has no G keys.
  • The USB input on the back is brilliant, I don't need to have my 2tb external drive near the computer any more, I can plug it in the back and get the same speed, as I would with it in the back of the PC.
  • The extra 10 keys look (red diamond texture) and feel awesome.
  • The space bar feels so nice with its diamond texture
  • The sound is really nice, quite if touched softly and also sounds nice when the keys hit the base.
  • Really long braided cable. its thick aswell as it contains 2 leeds (Keyboard + Extra USB Port)
  • Changeable keys.
  • Its Solid and Heavy.

It feels really nice, and i have noticed i am typing faster.

What Don't like.

• The Price, yes its a very nice keyboard, but £120 (I paid £110 in Sale) is very expensive, but if it lasts me 4 years like my G110 then it will be worth it. In the end you get what you pay for.

That's all I got to say about it at the moment.

I Love It.

Ok so I've got a Logitech G110 keyboard which seems fine to me. But because it's not mechanical, and everyone raves about mechanical, I just feel like I'm missing out. So I think I'm going to pick one up. I'm just not sure what one to get. So here's my criteria.

1. I want a strong back lit keyboard. I find the G110 a little too dull and would like a bit more brightness. I'm not that picky over color and I don't need any fancy lighting effects when you press a key but if they are there it isn't a big deal.
  2. I want a full keyboard with numpad (104 keys I guess it's usually called) but I'd rather not have extra programmable keys like the G1 - G12 keys on my current keyboard. I just don't use them so they are wasting space.
  3. It doesn't need a wrist rest but if it comes with one, it'll need to be removable.
  4. I think I want to go with Cherry MX Brown switches. I game a lot but I also type a lot so I think it'll be a good balance and worth a first try.

I think that's about it. I've looked around a little and here are my thoughts on a couple of the commonly recommended keyboards but feel free to recommend others than the ones listed.

• The CM Storm QuickFire TK seems like a good keyboard but I don't think I like how they have the num pad combined with the other keys.
  • The Ducky Shine 3 looks solid and I don't think I have any complaints about it except for price. I'd prefer something cheaper if it does everything I need.
  • The Corsair K70 looks like it could be a good middle ground if it's LEDs are bright enough but I'd like your suggestions.

okay all of those keyboards are incredibly solid however you and alternatively look at the duck shine zero because it's a very similar to the shine 3 but much cheaper with no fancy led effects

My build: Cpu: (AMD Ryzen 7 1700) Heatsink: (Deepcool Captain 240 rgb) GPU: (Zotac AMP! GTX 1060 6gb) Ram: (Corsair LPX 8Gb DDR4 2400) Mobo: ( Gigabyte AX370 Gaming K&) Case: (NZXT Phantom 410 Gunmetal) PSU: (Lepa B550 550w) OS:  (Windows 10

I love my Quickfire TK, got it for cheap and I find the space saving of having the integrated num-pad is worth the trade-off. Build quality is very nice as well, LEDs are pretty vibrant as well. I have mx blues and I love them (I haven't tried any other keys besides reds, which I don't like at all), especially for typing and I don't mind them at all when gaming.

The led's on the k70 are bright enough. I have the mx blue version. It looks really sharp. 

Ok so I've got a Logitech G110 keyboard which seems fine to me. But because it's not mechanical, and everyone raves about mechanical, I just feel like I'm missing out. So I think I'm going to pick one up. I'm just not sure what one to get. So here's my criteria.

1. I want a strong back lit keyboard. I find the G110 a little too dull and would like a bit more brightness. I'm not that picky over color and I don't need any fancy lighting effects when you press a key but if they are there it isn't a big deal.
  2. I want a full keyboard with numpad (104 keys I guess it's usually called) but I'd rather not have extra programmable keys like the G1 - G12 keys on my current keyboard. I just don't use them so they are wasting space.
  3. It doesn't need a wrist rest but if it comes with one, it'll need to be removable.
  4. I think I want to go with Cherry MX Brown switches. I game a lot but I also type a lot so I think it'll be a good balance and worth a first try.

I think that's about it. I've looked around a little and here are my thoughts on a couple of the commonly recommended keyboards but feel free to recommend others than the ones listed.

• The CM Storm QuickFire TK seems like a good keyboard but I don't think I like how they have the num pad combined with the other keys.
  • The Ducky Shine 3 looks solid and I don't think I have any complaints about it except for price. I'd prefer something cheaper if it does everything I need.
  • The Corsair K70 looks like it could be a good middle ground if it's LEDs are bright enough but I'd like your suggestions.

I was asking the same last week, I currently have a Logitech g110, and picking up a corsair K70 Cherry MX REDS tomorrow, I do more typing that gaming as well, when I get the keyboard tomorrow I will use it for a bit, then come and let you know what I think.

Official Profile for Addon Customs LTD and Custom Acrylics
Addon Customs -
Custom LED Lighting | Single colour and RGB available, hand sleeved | Now making Phanteks Case compatible LED KITS
Custom Acrylics - Custom computer parts | GPU backplates, Fan Grills, NZXT H440 Fascias and PSU covers | 3D printing and Laser Cutting Service available.

Love my K70 with Brown switches  :)

MY CURRENT PC

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k COOLER: Noctua NH-D14 MOBO: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming ATX RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB DDR3-1600 STORAGE: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM HHD GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 SLI CASE: Fractal Design R4 PSU: EVGA 1000W 80+ Gold 
PERIPHERALS - KEYBOARD: Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Cherry MX Browns MOUSE: Logitech G500/M100 MONITOR(S): Acer H236HLbid (I want an Asus PB278Q) SPEAKERS: Some Cyber Acoustics $10 speakers PICTURES AND FULL PARTS LIST @ PCPARTPICKER - http://pcpartpicker.com/b/z4Pscf  

"Don't get so caught up in trying to make a living that you forget to make a life."

okay all of those keyboards are incredibly solid however you and alternatively look at the duck shine zero because it's a very similar to the shine 3 but much cheaper with no fancy led effects

That looks like another good choice. I'll have to look up how it compares to the K70.

I love my Quickfire TK, got it for cheap and I find the space saving of having the integrated num-pad is worth the trade-off. Build quality is very nice as well, LEDs are pretty vibrant as well. I have mx blues and I love them (I haven't tried any other keys besides reds, which I don't like at all), especially for typing and I don't mind them at all when gaming.

You could be right but I don't think I want to risk it.

The led's on the k70 are bright enough. I have the mx blue version. It looks really sharp. 

Love my K70 with Brown switches  :)

Good to know!

Thanks, I appreciate it.

K70s if you want a keyboard to play FPSs and general gaming.
K95s for MMOs.

The switch type is up to you what you prefer. I have mine on MX reds.

Main RigCPU: AMD Ryzen 5900x @ 4.7 Ghz w/ Corsair H115i Elite Capellix | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 Ti XC3 | MOBO: Asus ROG Strix X570-E | RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3600 mhz | Case: Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB | PSU: Corsair HX850i 850W | Mouse: Glorious Model O (Matte Black) | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance RGB K95 | Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2 + Samsung 870 QVO 1 TB + Toshiba X300 4 TB

LAN Rig: CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4 Ghz w/ Antec Kuhler H2O 920 | GPU: EVGA GTX 760 | MOBO: MSI Z87I Mini-ITX | RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB 2133mhz | Case: Bitfenix Prodigy Mini-ITX | PSU: Corsair CX550 550W | Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

K70s if you want a keyboard to play FPSs and general gaming.

K95s for MMOs.

The switch type is up to you what you prefer. I have mine on MX reds.

K70 is looking like the best choice right now.

K95 only comes in MX Red and I think I want to try Browns. Also I think it may be slightly too large for my keyboard tray.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

I have been using my new Corsair K70 Cherry MX REDs now for an hour or 2, while trying to fix my PC bloody windows 8.1 decided to stop working (did a reinstall that also corrupted, had to get a new USB to install from), anyway, I haven't been typing much on here, but going from Logitech g110, to this isn't as bad as i thought it would be. I am loving the K70 and the MX reds. while typing the only mistakes I am making are missing the keys I want, but I think that is because I have only had 4 hours sleep in the last 2 days.

Haven't got anything planned for tomorrow except playing games, and maybe a bit of coding. So will be using it all day, will update if my views change.

what I love

• The BRIGHT LEDS, they look awesome in the dark, even on the dimmest setting they are brighter than the Logitech g110 lights.
  • Smaller than the G110, as it has no G keys.
  • The USB input on the back is brilliant, I don't need to have my 2tb external drive near the computer any more, I can plug it in the back and get the same speed, as I would with it in the back of the PC.
  • The extra 10 keys look (red diamond texture) and feel awesome.
  • The space bar feels so nice with its diamond texture
  • The sound is really nice, quite if touched softly and also sounds nice when the keys hit the base.
  • Really long braided cable. its thick aswell as it contains 2 leeds (Keyboard + Extra USB Port)
  • Changeable keys.
  • Its Solid and Heavy.

It feels really nice, and i have noticed i am typing faster.

What Don't like.

• The Price, yes its a very nice keyboard, but £120 (I paid £110 in Sale) is very expensive, but if it lasts me 4 years like my G110 then it will be worth it. In the end you get what you pay for.

That's all I got to say about it at the moment.

I Love It.

Official Profile for Addon Customs LTD and Custom Acrylics
Addon Customs -
Custom LED Lighting | Single colour and RGB available, hand sleeved | Now making Phanteks Case compatible LED KITS
Custom Acrylics - Custom computer parts | GPU backplates, Fan Grills, NZXT H440 Fascias and PSU covers | 3D printing and Laser Cutting Service available.

i have a k70 and i am loving it. I have yet to see a better built keyboard than this. i kinda wish i got mx browns though. its really easy to make typo's on mx reds

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up picking the K70 with brown switches and it just arrived today. It's quite a different feel to type on, I really like it and it shouldn't take much adjustment. I love how bright the back lighting is compared to my old keyboard so I'm definitely pleased with that. Thanks everyone!