USB type C dongle hunt

hiyayhi

Hey guys, I'm on the hunt for the perfect dongle for my Dell XPS 13 which kindly comes from the factory sans any sort of io apart from USB-c... What are the options out there, I would preferably like to get something with DP or HDMI as well as ethernet and some USB A ports. I had a look at the LTT video from two years ago, which I would love to see updated, but seems somewhat outdated since I would love to get something that has thunderbolt 3 support, not just USB 3.

Cheers

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

52 minutes ago, hiyayhi said:

but seems somewhat outdated since I would love to get something that has thunderbolt 3 support, not just USB 3.

so you are looking for a thunderbolt doc?

as in a dongle attachement or something bigger?

1 hour ago, GoldenLag said:

so you are looking for a thunderbolt doc?

as in a dongle attachement or something bigger?

Not after a dock, something that is small enough to carry in my bag with me would be ideal. Since I ride to uni, any weight I can save is good. But would just like it to perform to the capabilities of the standard. Like, in the video from 2 years ago, if you plugged two SSDs in and tried to transfer data between them, most of the dongles shat themselves. I would like for this to not be the case hahaha.

3 minutes ago, hiyayhi said:

Not after a dock, something that is small enough to carry in my bag with me would be ideal. Since I ride to uni, any weight I can save is good. But would just like it to perform to the capabilities of the standard. Like, in the video from 2 years ago, if you plugged two SSDs in and tried to transfer data between them, most of the dongles shat themselves. I would like for this to not be the case hahaha.

ah, so you are after a dongle review in  that regard. well i wont be much help then, osrry for taknig your time. 

3 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

ah, so you are after a dongle review in  that regard. well i wont be much help then, osrry for taknig your time. 

All good!

On 9/26/2019 at 6:59 PM, Slayerking92 said:

Dell makes this one, about the size of a hockey puck. Its only USB-C. 

https://www.dell.com/en-ca/work/shop/accessories/apd/470-acwn

image.png.b21f79cdb120c322e88fbe4a1633ed65.png

I have this and was used for my work when travelling to different client sites.

You twist between you palms for the usb c cable you can just see there to come out. Great size and pretty light.

Downside was the price, i thought it was pretty expensive for what it was, but it is a dock more than a dongle.

I have the new xps 13 2in1, so if you want to know something, or extra photos of the device, i could give it a try.