be able to list desktop or laptop on profile page

sandvich64

you know how you can list your pc specs on the profile page? well it would be cool if there was an option to list it as a desktop or laptop

Kinda irrelevant. You can put in the "Case" section if it's an "Alienware Area 51" or whatever you have as your case.

1 minute ago, TempestCatto said:

Kinda irrelevant. You can put in the "Case" section if it's an "Alienware Area 51" or whatever you have as your case.

how is it irrelevant for me to suggest a FEATURE to list whether your setup is a desktop or laptop?

Just now, sandvich64 said:

how is it irrelevant for me to suggest a FEATURE to list whether your setup is a desktop or laptop?

Well as I said, you can already put that in the "case" section. Or another section of your choosing, I see people doing that often. Sometimes even in their BIO.

Just now, TempestCatto said:

Well as I said, you can already put that in the "case" section. Or another section of your choosing, I see people doing that often. Sometimes even in their BIO.

no you misunderstand what im  suggesting. im suggesting a button on the "edit profile" page to specify whether your setup is a desktop or laptop. it is in no way irrelevant to feature suggestions because i am indeed suggesting a feature

1 minute ago, sandvich64 said:

no you misunderstand what im  suggesting. im suggesting a button on the "edit profile" page to specify whether your setup is a desktop or laptop. it is in no way irrelevant to feature suggestions because i am indeed suggesting a feature

When you list your case, say as Rosewill Black Hawk Ultra, people are gonna know you have a desktop. As I said before, sometimes people put their notebook (or even prebuilt) model name/number there or somewhere else on their page. I'm not dissing your idea dude, chill. I'm just saying there's already easy ways to tell.

5 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

When you list your case, say as Rosewill Black Hawk Ultra, people are gonna know you have a desktop. As I said before, sometimes people put their notebook (or even prebuilt) model name/number there or somewhere else on their page. I'm not dissing your idea dude, chill. I'm just saying there's already easy ways to tell.

telling me to chill was uncalled for

I think there's probably a fair few people, on these forums at least, who have both a laptop and a desktop PC.

Could have a second category under System labelled "Laptop" where you list the brand & model number of your laptop. Most people would then be able to either know what laptop it is (ie. Razer Blade Stealth or Macbook Pro) or will be able to google it to find out. A lot of laptops can have slightly different configs, like 8GB vs 16GB, 256GB SSD vs 500GB SSD, etc. Maybe a second field for listing the Configuration of that model.

For example mine would look like (picked a random laptop model cause I cbf going in to the other room to find my laptop to see what model it is... My laptop is not that impressive)

image.thumb.png.3829d2ead995413fe79e15fc00053a98.png

I think that gives everyone the necessary information without adding too much clutter to the side bar on profiles, while allowing people to show both desktop and laptop.
@sandvich64 is this the sort of thing you were thinking about?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

There's also "About me" section to be used. If you really want to list everything you own.

I agree that you could have laptop specs detailed same place where desktops are and use case for saying that it's laptop. Just main series number doesn't tell anything since you can customize those.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

9 hours ago, Spotty said:

I think there's probably a fair few people, on these forums at least, who have both a laptop and a desktop PC.

Could have a second category under System labelled "Laptop" where you list the brand & model number of your laptop. Most people would then be able to either know what laptop it is (ie. Razer Blade Stealth or Macbook Pro) or will be able to google it to find out. A lot of laptops can have slightly different configs, like 8GB vs 16GB, 256GB SSD vs 500GB SSD, etc. Maybe a second field for listing the Configuration of that model.

For example mine would look like (picked a random laptop model cause I cbf going in to the other room to find my laptop to see what model it is... My laptop is not that impressive)

image.thumb.png.3829d2ead995413fe79e15fc00053a98.png

I think that gives everyone the necessary information without adding too much clutter to the side bar on profiles, while allowing people to show both desktop and laptop.
@sandvich64 is this the sort of thing you were thinking about?

yeah exactly

That makes sense. We don't want to add fields unnecessarily, because then your settings become really cluttered, but I think having a laptop section would be relevant to a decent fraction of the userbase. I will aim to add it at some point in the next few days.

HTTP/2 203

2 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

That makes sense. We don't want to add fields unnecessarily, because then your settings become really cluttered, but I think having a laptop section would be relevant to a decent fraction of the userbase. I will aim to add it at some point in the next few days.

Are you able to set it up so it has specific fields like "GPU" "CPU" RAM" "STORAGE" "PANEL" etc? Or is there a way for it to auto fill those if a certain model number specifies the specs?

1 hour ago, TempestCatto said:

Are you able to set it up so it has specific fields like "GPU" "CPU" RAM" "STORAGE" "PANEL" etc? Or is there a way for it to auto fill those if a certain model number specifies the specs?

No. That would require a database containing the models and configurations of every laptop to pull from...

If you want to show that information you'd just have to type it in like you do with the desktop specs.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

42 minutes ago, Spotty said:

No. That would require a database containing the models and configurations of every laptop to pull from...

If you want to show that information you'd just have to type it in like you do with the desktop specs.

It could like, be something that just looks it up like a psudo Google search?

3 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

Or the user could just do a google search and put it in themself instead of making the website do some hackjob at trying to pull accurate information. There are too many variations of laptop models for this to be a viable option. User based input is the best option by far, since they can make it match their laptop to the T.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

4 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

why would it even matter that you save the one-time 5 minutes to put in the specs yourself 

7 hours ago, TheKDub said:

Or the user could just do a google search

5 hours ago, sandvich64 said:

why would it even matter that you save the one-time 5 minutes to put in the specs yourself 

Laziness. That is all.

3 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

Laziness. That is all.

10 hours ago, TheKDub said:

There are too many variations of laptop models for this to be a viable option. User based input is the best option by far, since they can make it match their laptop to the T.

If they're too lazy to go enter a handful of words themselves, then they must not care about having it displayed on their profile.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

17 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

That would be very hard to implement, and wouldn't add much.

HTTP/2 203

Laptop: iPad Pro 12.9"

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers