I'm really sorry I didn't review this sooner - Oculus Rift S

James

This show is really Canadian now. 

8 minutes ago, floofer said:

This show is really Canadian now. 

I wouldn't say that until cover themselves in maple syrup, go for a swim in a lake covered with at least 3m of ice, and apologize the entire time :D 

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

6 minutes ago, Lurick said:

I wouldn't say that until cover themselves in maple syrup, go for a swim in a lake covered with at least 3m of ice, and apologize the entire time :D 

I see you were also sent a rough draft of the next lttstore.com underwear ad.

It's good that they are making it cheaper so more people can get it and yea I get that it does come with compromises.

But I really don't understand that refreshrate, like, it's such a weird refreshrate (never heard of an 80hz monitor) and also, why don't they use something like freesync?!

It has proven to provide a smoother image which seems like something you really want in VR.

I really agree with linus on this one, lowering the refreshrate is NOT the way VR should go. The Index went up to 120Hz, that's where we should be heading to.

Also, can we maybe get at least a mention if there is VirtualLink support? It's a good thing the GPU guys are supporting it and is imo a step in the right direction so getting at least some info on it with every headset review would be nice.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

I have one of the Windows mixed reality headsets and they seem to do everything that the rift s can. Like the tracking is NOT perfect but it does not come up in most games unless you move your hand behind your head. Besides the tracking the WMR headsets have most of the advantages of the Rift S like its portability (actually there are a lot of design similarities between my specific headset (Lenovo Explorer) and the rift s). They also run at 90hz so they lack the rift s's key disadvantage and mine has a resolution of 1440x1440 per eye which is higher than the rift s .I understand that at MSRP the WMR headsets are a terrible value but I got mine new for $180 and at that price they seem to be a better value than almost all other vr headsets.

it's still about 399 more dollars than I'd want to pay for a peripheral that nothing is compatible with

8 minutes ago, emosun said:

it's still about 399 more dollars than I'd want to pay for a peripheral that nothing is compatible with

I'ma just leave this here

https://store.steampowered.com/vr/

Resident Mozilla Shill.   Typed on my Ortholinear JJ40 custom keyboard
               __     I am the ASCIIDino.
              / _)
     _.----._/ /      If you can see me you 
    /         /       must put me in your 
 __/ (  | (  |        signature for 24 hours.
/__.-'|_|--|_|        

you guys mentioned a Quest video, and even had a clip from it. But it doesn't seem to be up on the channel. Is it a Floatplane only video? Or just pushed out of order?

Suggestion: Can we get a segment/opinion of someone who wears glasses in the office for something like this? It would help to know if the headset was a pain in the butt to put on or hard to focus with glasses in between.

23 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

80fps = choppy apparently

For VR? Yes.  A lower FPS reduces response time to real world movement which makes it feel worse.

Resident Mozilla Shill.   Typed on my Ortholinear JJ40 custom keyboard
               __     I am the ASCIIDino.
              / _)
     _.----._/ /      If you can see me you 
    /         /       must put me in your 
 __/ (  | (  |        signature for 24 hours.
/__.-'|_|--|_|        

1 minute ago, FezBoy said:

For VR? Yes.  A lower FPS reduces response time to real world movement which makes it feel worse.

My Oculus would dip below 90fps into the 60s on some games and its not choppy, its more jello like which is why people get sick.

80fps is far from choppy

Bottom line is, VR is still crap and it'll eventually die (again) despite all the hype around it how stuff is selling big time and how everyone cares about it.

18 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

My Oculus would dip below 90fps into the 60s on some games and its not choppy, its more jello like which is why people get sick.

80fps is far from choppy

for people who have their VR legs, are not prone to motion sickness, do not intend to play for long periods of time, or are not playing any fast paced games, 80fps is fine. But if you're out of any of those categories, it can be a bit of a bleh experience. Especially if you've experienced higher fps VR. I do work in VR so I own a HTC Vive, Vive Pro, Oculus CV1, Oculus Rift S, Oculus Quest, and Lenovo Mirage Solo. And tried a few other headsets.

5 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Bottom line is, VR is still crap and it'll eventually die (again) despite all the hype around it how stuff is selling big time and how everyone cares about it.

Admittedly, VR still has a way to go, but I don't think it will die. Location Based Warehouse Scale VR is currently the "ideal" scenario for VR. Enthusiast consumers and the LBE market are providing a lot of data for now. Oculus and Valve are taking two different approaches to get a feel for what people actually want/need for a good experience. The cost of entry is just too high right now. But with advances in technology making things like the Quest viable, or graphics card prices dropping, or foveated rendering when eye tracking becomes the standard, VR will definitely not die. It just has to hit a certain cost to performance where enough people own it for AAA companies to jump onto the bandwagon

The thing is, VR was brought from dead like 3 times already and it always died out. Or just faded away. Because it just doesn't work and never will until they can solve cables nonsense and walking around the room, tripping over shit or hitting walls. And this is a big one that won't be solved anytime soon.

The other thing is the approach that I've complained about many times. They'd have to first hook players into the VR thing with "immersion" headsets. What I mean with this is headsets that are meant to be used with keyboard and mouse or regular gamepad. Just for immersion where you only see ingame world and maybe also have head tracking and that would be it. Coz I know this would still sell coz immersion where you see nothing but ingame world with your eyes is a huge thing opposed to seeing bunch of your desk, wall and monitor bezels. And I think head tracking with mouse and keyboard could still work with some more fluid and wider view angle without having to move mouse around. Best thing with this is that basically all games could work with it and with minimal effort to add head tracking. And when ppl would get hooked into this system, someone would eventually figure out actual movement in one place without having to walk around the room. Instead they just skipped the first part and want to force half baked crap VR on ppl and no one is really buying it.

On 9/24/2019 at 11:07 PM, RejZoR said:

The thing is, VR was brought from dead like 3 times already and it always died out. Or just faded away. Because it just doesn't work and never will until they can solve cables nonsense and walking around the room, tripping over shit or hitting walls. And this is a big one that won't be solved anytime soon.

The other thing is the approach that I've complained about many times. They'd have to first hook players into the VR thing with "immersion" headsets. What I mean with this is headsets that are meant to be used with keyboard and mouse or regular gamepad. Just for immersion where you only see ingame world and maybe also have head tracking and that would be it. Coz I know this would still sell coz immersion where you see nothing but ingame world with your eyes is a huge thing opposed to seeing bunch of your desk, wall and monitor bezels. And I think head tracking with mouse and keyboard could still work with some more fluid and wider view angle without having to move mouse around. Best thing with this is that basically all games could work with it and with minimal effort to add head tracking. And when ppl would get hooked into this system, someone would eventually figure out actual movement in one place without having to walk around the room. Instead they just skipped the first part and want to force half baked crap VR on ppl and no one is really buying it.

First part: if you look at things like the quest, wireless is coming. There are also wireless attachments for the Vive. The main reason VR died in the past was technology and adoption rate. Technology is being solved now. Adoption rate is definitely much higher than before. But could still use work.

Second part: moving around in VR via mouse/keyboard will make a good portion of people motion sick. 

Also most games won't just work without looking really bad. Normal maps on flat surfaces are heavily used on regular games. These look terrible in VR. The higher fps requirement. UI will need to change drastically. Etc

I do agree with you that if we can figure out a good locomotion system that allows players to stay in one spot without teleporting or getting nauseated, then VR will definitely get a massive boost

Have you guys ran into the issue with the Rift S loosing tracking of the Touch Controllers yet? Something to do with the USB bandwidth or something. Some forums are showing possible power issues with the splitter. Not sure so thought I would bring it up in here to possibly get some help since Oculus isn't being any help.