WiFi 6 Certification has begun, several prominent pre-certification devices now certified including Intel AX200

Alex Atkin UK

The Samsung Galaxy Note10 and the Ruckus R750 are the world’s first Wi-Fi CERTIFIED 6 smartphone and access point, respectively. Wi-Fi Alliance expects most leading phones and access points will soon support the latest generation of Wi-Fi. The first products designated Wi-Fi CERTIFIED 6 which comprise the test bed for certification include:

• Broadcom® BCM4375
  • Broadcom® BCM43698
  • Broadcom® BCM43684
  • Cypress CYW 89650 Auto-Grade Wi-Fi 6 Certified
  • Intel® Wi-Fi 6 (Gig+) AX200 (for PCs)
  • Intel® Home Wi-Fi Chipset WAV600 Series (for routers and gateways)
  • Marvell 88W9064 (4x4) Wi-Fi 6 Dual-Band STA
  • Marvell 88W9064 (4x4) + 88W9068 (8x8) Wi-Fi 6 Concurrent Dual-Band AP
  • Qualcomm® Networking Pro 1200 Platform
  • Qualcomm® FastConnect 6800 Wi-Fi 6 Mobile Connectivity Subsystem
  • Ruckus R750 Wi-Fi 6 Access Point
  • For more information on Wi-Fi CERTIFIED 6 please visit: https://www.wi-fi.org/discover-wi-fi/wi-fi-certified-6

https://www.wi-fi.org/news-events/newsroom/wi-fi-certified-6-delivers-new-wi-fi-era

It seemed likely seeing as every motherboard manufacturer seemed to be choosing the Intel AX200 as their WiFi 6 solution, but its still a relief to see it full certified now.

Now we just need to see more certified Access Points come to market so we can actually use it.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Nice, I bought an AX200 as an upgrade for my laptop a few weeks ago, I didn't really care if it was certified at the time but nice to see it is!

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

Have we even saturated AC wifi yet? I don't think most devices can even break 2Gbps on wifi.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

1 minute ago, williamcll said:

Have we even saturated AC wifi yet? I don't think most devices can even break 2Gbps on wifi.

I doubt any device can reach 2Gbps on 802.11ac, but WiFi 6/802.11ax isn't really about pushing for faster speeds.

It's about improving speeds in congested networks. So if you got 10 devices on WiFi then if you got ax they won't affect each other as much as if you were using ac.

The theoretical speed doesn't increase much from ac to ax, but the real world speed should improve, as well as improve latency.

19 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Ah. Paying more to get a sticker on your product. Another mess of a standard like USB C. 

Um, i'm not sure if there is a certification fee for wifi, but this has been a thing even before Wifi 6. It's only now that they renamed to something more sensible that normal consumers would understand.

USB-C is a mess because of the bazillion standards it supports, since manufacturers have the flexibility to cherry pick what to support and what not to support. They can be anywhere from shitty usb 2.0 with 5V cable to a 40 Gbps 100W cable. And also at one point there was a proposal to pass on analog audio through USB C, but who knows what happened to that

The problem with WiFi is most devices only support 2x2 MIMO so you end up brute forcing speed to chose devices by taking up a wider channel width such as 80Mhz or even 160Mhz, rather than getting more out of what you have with a higher number of transmit/receive streams.

The wider the channel width, the less efficient, less range and higher the chance of crosstalk/intereference spoiling your day (not to mention the impact on everyone else trying to do the same.

So in the real world AX/WiFi 6 may very well result in better speeds, if it means you can use 40Mhz channel width rather than 80Mhz channel width, so you get a cleaner signal with better range.  There are also the improvements to 2.4Ghz which didn't get any speed/efficiency improvements since 802.11n/WiFi 4.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7