New Ryzen 3700x build, issue i do not get.

Hemanse
Go to solution Solved by Hemanse,

Think i might have been able to figure it out myself. It seems like its just very unstable BIOS updates on the B450 Tomahawk MAX. I flashed v30 BIOS from 7/11-2019 and i at least seem to have gotten rid of the GPU problems (knock on wood). Read around a bit and when it comes to Ryzen 3000, MSI have been terrible with late and very unstable BIOS.

Hope to see some B550 boards this year and ill get something that is very much not MSI.

So just a heads up if you buy a B450 Tomahawk MAX, just stick with the BIOS the board comes with, im pretty sure that is v30

I build my PC about 2 or so weeks ago and i have had some really frustrating issues i just cant figure out, so hoping maybe someone here can shed some light on it. My build consists of these components:

Ryzen 3700x

MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX

Ballistix Elite 3600MHz CL16

Palit RTX 2070S Super Jetstream

NH-D15S

Corsair Force MP510 SSD

XFX 850W Gold rated PSU

My biggest issue right now is in regards to my video card. Just to be sure it wasnt a Windows issue i reinstalled Windows today and its still there. I install the newest NVIDIA driver for the GPU and everything looks fine, right up until i power down the machine and reboot/close down and start it again. When it boots, the driver gets reinstalled again automatically, the screen flashes a couple of times and GPU-Z now shows the GPU running PCIe 8x instead of 16x which it ran when i first installed the driver. It does the reinstall of the driver every time i reboot or power down and start the PC. Looks like this in the reliability monitor:

https://i.imgur.com/aXWzbKd.png

As you can see everytime i boot, it shows up as the driver getting installed. I have tried everything, older NVIDIA driver, disabling windows auto driver update, every possible bios setting, other bioses, running the bios completely stock etc etc. The only thing i have not been able to try is the second PCIe slot, the card does not fit because if its size in the Define R6.

There have also been other problems and i am starting to suspect the motherboard, as i have tried taking in and out every other damn component.

There is a local computer shop here, i guess my last option is to get them to take a look at it, because i am getting nowhere :/

Ryzen 7 3700x, MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX, 16GB Ballistix Elite 3600MHz, MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio, Corsair RM750x V2

Think i might have been able to figure it out myself. It seems like its just very unstable BIOS updates on the B450 Tomahawk MAX. I flashed v30 BIOS from 7/11-2019 and i at least seem to have gotten rid of the GPU problems (knock on wood). Read around a bit and when it comes to Ryzen 3000, MSI have been terrible with late and very unstable BIOS.

Hope to see some B550 boards this year and ill get something that is very much not MSI.

So just a heads up if you buy a B450 Tomahawk MAX, just stick with the BIOS the board comes with, im pretty sure that is v30

Ryzen 7 3700x, MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX, 16GB Ballistix Elite 3600MHz, MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio, Corsair RM750x V2

On 9/18/2019 at 10:02 AM, Hemanse said:

Seems to be a trend with everyone, I have had allot of luck with MSI on x570; Gigabyte on the other hand no luck.

Bad bios's for days.

On 9/18/2019 at 7:02 PM, Hemanse said:

Thank you so much! I had the same issue + random reboots while playing games (Kernel-Power 43 BugcheckCode 278 in the Event Viewer) on MSI B450 Tomahawk Max, Ryzen 3600, MSI GTX 780Ti & Corsair 16GB 3200MHz Vengeance LPX Black. I've been trying to fix this problem for days now (bought new PSU, thought that my GPU is dying, tested RAM with memtest, reinstalled Windows etc etc) then I found this topic. It was bios all along! I coudn't believe it. Flashing v30 bios fixed the reboot and driver issues for me.

The only thing I'm concerned about is that my GPU is still running at PCI-E x8 3.0 instead of x16. PSU swap and v30 bios didn't help with the bus interface issue so it has to be the bios, drivers or GPU. My bet is on the bios. It's a minor issue tho. It won't affect me that much. Maybe 1-2 fps here and there. Who cares. Hopefully the next stable bios will fix it for me. I will report this problem to MSI, but I'm sure they know about it already.

I can finally enjoy my new build :)