Rockstar Games launcher Now Required

Crab Puncher

In the words of dj khalid, "Another one." Rockstar has made this launcher a mandatory install if you want to play steam Rockstar titles such as GTA V. I don't know about you guys but it's kind of ridiculous. I have: Steam, Uplay, battle.net, Origin, and now Rockstar launchers. Does this bother anyone else? or is it just me?

The simply named Rockstar Games Launcher went live worldwide on Tuesday on Windows PCs, and it includes the ability to purchase and install a range of Rockstar-developed games (and their associated microtransactions). This is the first time Rockstar has offered direct purchases of its PC games, as opposed to serving games on services such as Steam. With that in mind, the launcher also lets players find and boot existing Rockstar games' Steam installations.

source: arstechnica

5 minutes ago, Crab Puncher said:

In the words of dj khalid, "Another one." Rockstar has made this launcher a mandatory install if you want to play steam Rockstar titles such as GTA V. I don't know about you guys but it's kind of ridiculous. I have: Steam, Uplay, battle.net, Origin, and now Rockstar launchers. Does this bother anyone else? or is it just me?

source: arstechnica

It's now mandatory for GTA V any rockstar game in steam.  

Since this article has gone live, we've discovered another reason to install RGL, though it's arguably not a welcome one. Rockstar has now mandated the launcher's installation in order to boot certain games available on Steam. I uninstalled RGL from my testing rig, then attempted to boot my existing Steam installation of Grand Theft Auto V. At that time, Steam automatically loaded the RGL installation process. Thus, there is currently no way to play GTA V without having Rockstar's new launcher active. Rockstar isn't the first to do this, by the way; publishers like Ubisoft mandate similar launcher requirements in their Steam games. -Ars

Isn't it mandatory since official release of GTA5 on pc.

RGSC has been around since GTA4's pc release, this feels like just a rebranding to me.

EDIT: You get free GTASA if you install the launcher.

Edited by Levent

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Hasn't this always been a thing? 

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

58 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

I like that it's Rockstar game launcher, and not even Take Two. What a wholly unnecessary thing. Don't they only have like 3 PC games? And isn't GTA4 like, super broken?

Pretty sure it got fixed a while back, I was playing it a few month ago and it was fine.

Magical Pineapples

I honestly almost fell out of my chair.

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

53 minutes ago, Levent said:

RGSC has been around since GTA4's pc release, this feels like just a rebranding to me.

EDIT: You get free GTASA if you install the launcher.

Exactly, this is nothing new. They have been putting their own stupid Social Club launcher on their games for years now.

I remember when GTA IV needed games for Windows Live, and then the Rockstar Social Club. What an absolute disaster that was. Tanked the performance so much that the pirated version of the game ran much better.

Companies should definitely stop putting their own launchers on top of whatever store launcher you buy it from. Usually it is just a resource hog and doesn't add anything useful.

I haven't played GTAV in years

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

4 hours ago, JZStudios said:

isn't GTA4 like, super broken?

Now imagine how secure their launcher is with your data.  Not that you even need that anecdote to scare the hell out of you where take2 is concerned.

Guess PC gamers need 2 PC from here on out.  1 for work and study, and an other to acts as a front to attract all the game dev studios malware to launch games.

Thats actually really good you can buy directly from them now.

Though, I won't be buying their next game if it requires internet access to play like the current steam version of GTA V does.

I need a launcher for all my launchers with how many desktop and task bar items I'm going to have...

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

*is playing Witcher 3 from GoG with no launcher whatsoever*

What!? Don't mind me, just having some stress free, Internetless fun here. ?

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

5 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

*is playing Witcher 3 from GoG with no launcher whatsoever*

What!? Don't mind me, just having some stress free, Internetless fun here. ?

Says you... FROM THE INTERNET!!

But, yes, I agree. All these different launchers are absurd. When I bought my GPU, it came with a game download. Went to download the game, and it only way I can redeem it is through the stupid launcher. >__<

So, what I've done is just put all my games on a 4TB drive, then add all those games to my Steam library manually.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6850K

GPU: nVidia GTX 1080Ti (ZoTaC AMP! Extreme)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-UltraGaming

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000Mhz EVGA SuperSC DDR4

Case: RaidMax Delta I

PSU: ThermalTake DPS-G 750W 80+ Gold

Monitor: Samsung 32" UJ590 UHD

Keyboard: Corsair K70

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar

Audio: Logitech Z200 (desktop); Roland RH-300 (headphones)

I bought the boxed set with the 7 install CD's. Why? You shouldn't have to ask. But I own a physical copy, it's mine. I can install it on any system I want, even without internet. I don't have to wait for a billion gigs of data to download. It takes an hour or so to install the game. With that, I don't have to have Steam running to launch it. Whenever I launch it, it's just whatever the hell came with it (which is the R* launcher I presume). It's also way harder to mod your game (legit or not) with the Steam version as things much easier to detect.

But I still feel like this is a sham. Steam was supposed to be the one for all, all for one, platform. You weren't supposed to need anything else to launch and play games. What the hell ever happened to that? It's like Netflix used to be where you could watch all your fav movies and TV shows, but it's like two seasons of one show and the rest all shitty originals. We need new platforms I guess.

20 minutes ago, The1Dickens said:

Says you... FROM THE INTERNET!!

But, yes, I agree. All these different launchers are absurd. When I bought my GPU, it came with a game download. Went to download the game, and it only way I can redeem it is through the stupid launcher. >__<

So, what I've done is just put all my games on a 4TB drive, then add all those games to my Steam library manually.

Mobile phone for internet on a 6GB/month plan (with unlimited streaming Youtube, Netflix, etc at lower resolutions, even tethered), so downloading modern games is a rather ambitious endeavor.

A substantial portion of my Steam games that I've already installed, all of which can be played single-player mind you, absolutely refuse to launch because updates are "required", all of which are multiple GB. Also, Steam tends to be less than co-operative when kept in offline mode for months at a time, and installing games from a flash drive is extremely hit or miss as verification often fails, and Steam decides to munch on my data limit trying to download a copy fresh. Pressing cancel doesn't kill the download right away, forcing me to shut off the hotspot, or killing the application and starting anew. I kind of grew tired of getting the *expletive* launcher to bend to my will.

By comparison, Witcher 3 was literally just double click the installer from the flash drive, wait a bit, and start playing. Not one bit from the internet required besides the initial download from a friend's PC. Downside here is that some games I really want (Final Fantasy XII, to name one) is not on GoG, so it may as well not exist right now.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

8 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Mobile phone for internet on a 6GB/month plan (with unlimited streaming Youtube, Netflix, etc at lower resolutions, even tethered), so downloading modern games is a rather ambitious endeavor.

A substantial portion of my Steam games that I've already installed, all of which can be played single-player mind you, absolutely refuse to launch because updates are "required". Also, Steam tends to be less than co-operative when kept in offline mode for months at a time, and installing games from a flash drive is extremely hit or miss as verification often fails, and Steam decides to munch on my data limit trying to download a copy fresh. Pressing cancel doesn't kill the download right away, forcing me to shut off the hotspot, or killing the application and starting anew. I kind of grew tired of getting the *expletive* launcher to bend to my will.

By comparison, Witcher 3 was literally just double click the installer from the flash drive, wait a bit, and start playing. Not one bit from the internet required besides the initial download from a friend's PC.

Ah. Yeah, 6GB a month is... I think that last ESO update was bigger than that. I think Warframe, too.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6850K

GPU: nVidia GTX 1080Ti (ZoTaC AMP! Extreme)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-UltraGaming

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000Mhz EVGA SuperSC DDR4

Case: RaidMax Delta I

PSU: ThermalTake DPS-G 750W 80+ Gold

Monitor: Samsung 32" UJ590 UHD

Keyboard: Corsair K70

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar

Audio: Logitech Z200 (desktop); Roland RH-300 (headphones)

I have steam and battle net and it's already too many

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

PC users: walled gardens are awful.

Also PC users: why are there so many launchers?

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT | ASUS ROG Strix X470-F | 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB @3400MHz | EVGA RTX 2080S XC Ultra | EVGA GQ 650 | HP EX920 1TB / Crucial MX500 500GB / Samsung Spinpoint 1TB | Cooler Master H500M

17 minutes ago, melete said:

PC users: walled gardens are awful.

Also PC users: why are there so many launchers?

They're each a new walled garden, as they are each filled with exclusive content. If games were available on every launcher then nobody would complain.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

3 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

They're each a new walled garden, as they are each filled with exclusive content. If games were available on every launcher then nobody would complain.

So every game publisher should be forced to put all their games on every storefront and launcher? And every storefront and launcher should be forced to comply with that? Who would enforce such a thing?

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT | ASUS ROG Strix X470-F | 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB @3400MHz | EVGA RTX 2080S XC Ultra | EVGA GQ 650 | HP EX920 1TB / Crucial MX500 500GB / Samsung Spinpoint 1TB | Cooler Master H500M

4 hours ago, MoonSpot said:

Guess PC gamers need 2 PC from here on out.  1 for work and study, and an other to acts as a front to attract all the game dev studios malware to launch games.

nah, the bootdrive and the secondary launcherdrive will be fine. 

3 hours ago, rcmaehl said:

I need a launcher for all my launchers with how many desktop and task bar items I'm going to have...

I'm pretty sure GOG announced a while ago that they're working on GOG Galaxy 2.0, one of the features of which is to have all of your games across all launchers/platforms in one library.