This Cooler DRAWS 545W!!? Bad Cooling Ideas #2

We got a 545W Peltier cooler... sketchiness ensues.

Try out Solidworks Flow Simulation: www.solidworks.com/Linus 
CAD models from this video: https://grabcad.com/library/extreme-tec-1

Buy: A Noctua Cooler, don't get a TEC 
On Amazon: https://geni.us/LnK7k6k
On Newegg: https://geni.us/8tp4

Why oh why did I have to witness that autotune?  lol

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

@AlexTheGreatish Why didn't you just go the intel way?

Massive water chiller and off you go!

Also I still belive that a TEC cooler can work, but not like this.

What you can do is get 2 loops.

1 loop is connected to the cold side of multiple lower-powered TEC's (more info below) so you don't just have a cold baseplate but an actual cold sub-ambient loop with water that needs anti-freeze because you could easily pull the whole loop into negative C. And another loop that is connected to the hot side with that massive rad (maybe even more) to keep the hot side happy.

So, why get more TEC's? Because you were very likely hitting a thermal transfer limit with your current setup. If you use multiple TEC's that are lower power you can spread out the heat so it can be transfered easier from the TEC to the loops.

TL:DR do it again but instead of 1 TEC, use more of them but lower power and instead of whacking a baseplate on it and mounting it straight onto the CPU, make a loop of it.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

That was really neat, i enjoy these videos that are part Maker, part tech. Like a lovely mash-up of Adam Savage Tested and LTT

31 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

whole loop into negative C

i assume he made the cold side closer to the cpu as much as possible to avoid heat gain from environment and condensation, which also the PID controller helped with 

on a secondary note, i am very interested on how he programmed the PID controller, cause as a chemical engineer, those mathematical modeling and Laplace transforms , along with tuning methods are usually the most tedious for me 

EDIT: i saw he used Auto Tune , lmao Controller theory and thousands of tuning methods thrown through the window 

@AlexTheGreatish the reason the cpu got overwhelmed so quickly is because the controller was unable to respond quickly enough, maybe thats the fault of the Peltier module ( unable to cool/respond to PID quickly enough), but unless you do mathematical modelling you wont be able to know. 

Its essentially why on any plant we design PID controllers and control systems based on exact mathematical models, so the system can behave predictably such that the PID will know exactly how to respond to keep the system steady

PC: Alienware 15 R3  Cpu: 7700hq  GPu : 1070 OC   Display: 1080p IPS Gsync panel 60hz  Storage: 970 evo 250 gb / 970 evo plus 500gb

Audio: Sennheiser HD 6xx  DAC: Schiit Modi 3E Amp: Schiit Magni Heresy

Why is it that the thermometer showed a different temperature than the one shown on the computer?

Just now, alextulu said:

Why is it that the thermometer showed a different temperature than the one shown on the computer?

Temperature gradient,

the temperature on the cpu die and the cold end of the TEC plate are not the same, so the thermocouple  would have a temperature in between those 

PC: Alienware 15 R3  Cpu: 7700hq  GPu : 1070 OC   Display: 1080p IPS Gsync panel 60hz  Storage: 970 evo 250 gb / 970 evo plus 500gb

17 minutes ago, Tamesh16 said:

i assume he made the cold side closer to the cpu as much as possible to avoid heat gain from environment and condensation, which also the PID controller helped with 

on a secondary note, i am very interested on how he programmed the PID controller, cause as a chemical engineer, those mathematical modeling and Laplace transforms , along with tuning methods are usually the most tedious for me 

EDIT: i saw he used Auto Tune , lmao Controller theory and thousands of tuning methods thrown through the window 

I am not an engineer in any way but to me it seems like putting the TEC as close to the CPU is not a good idea because you don't have a buffer. Well you have one but it's stupidly small. with a complete loop you can actually create a big buffer (cold water) so you can at least run a benchmark without the cpu overheating almost instantly like in the video.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

1 hour ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

Hey !

Please revisit this some day.

TECs can work ..all be it they are still not a good choice.

Best way to get them working is to use a bunch of them, at half power or less, used to chiller a water loop.

As im sure ur aware TECs are far more efficient when not used at their highest power.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

1 minute ago, samcool55 said:

am not an engineer in any way but to me it seems like putting the TEC as close to the CPU is not a good idea because you don't have a buffer. Well you have one but it's stupidly small. with a complete loop you can actually create a big buffer (cold water) so you can at least run a benchmark without the cpu overheating almost instantly like in the video.

i understand, its exactly why the loop didnt work, as i said a PID controller takes time to respond, and a cpu could hit max heat output almost instantly, so even if the Peltier module can reach cooling as quickly as the cpu can reach its max heat, the controller will take some time to increase the current flow and result in temperature spikes, cause remember most of the cooling is dependent on current through peltier module and its heat transfer rate

and rightfully said in a loop with cool water nothing stops heat transfer, as soon as the temperature rises heat transfer increases instantly due to the temperature gradient 

understandably though, from a pc building perspective, i understand why they might think why this might be better 

3 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

Best way to get them working is to use a bunch of them

as they rightfully said, a bunch of Peltier modules cooling down the water in a loop, would be more inefficient than just using a chiller, but maybe there is better design than i can think of 

1 hour ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

Can you please plug it upside down, hot side on the CPU and cold side on the water block. Then you use the electricity from the seebeck effect to power

the pump & fans.

BOOM! Passive cooling baby! 

The bigger the CPU load, the more cooling power you get. 

6 minutes ago, Tamesh16 said:

i understand, its exactly why the loop didnt work, as i said a PID controller takes time to respond, and a cpu could hit max heat output almost instantly, so even if the Peltier module can reach cooling as quickly as the cpu can reach its max heat, the controller will take some time to increase the current flow and result in temperature spikes, cause remember most of the cooling is dependent on current through peltier module and its heat transfer rate

and rightfully said in a loop with cool water nothing stops heat transfer, as soon as the temperature rises heat transfer increases instantly due to the temperature gradient 

understandably though, from a pc building perspective, i understand why they might think why this might be better 

Oooh okay I understand now, I have no clue how PID's work or whatever so TIL I guess ?

Makes sense tho, you don't want something that basically goes to panic mode and causes uncontrollable scenario's when it needs to do something.

2 minutes ago, tabarnakos said:

seebeck effec

the heat transfer would be terrible, and the power generated would probably not be enough for the fans and pump 

1 minute ago, samcool55 said:

I have no clue how PID's work

PID loops can be very difficult thing to design, but i love it, its like throwing math at an unpredictable world of scenarios 

Great video as always, Alex! Love that oversized waterblock. Now get a bunch of those coolers to chill the water in the loop with!

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

@AlexTheGreatish don't give in to his negativity... you just need more TECs. If one was overwhelmed, then go for 2 or even 4.
Picture something like a copper plate on the CPU with heatpipes rising to the sky with 4 TECs attached, each with individual water blocks and some overkill water cooling.

If you're going to spend his money, build it big, build it beautiful ?

Apple, Piss Off! ~ Linus 2014

No, you're not hallucinating, or maybe you are... either way, I'm back. ~ Linus 2015

Likely you guys know by now but the solid state relay you used can only switch AC loads. It needs to be at 0V for it to switch. You can get alternative relays that would work in DC applications but for what you wanted you could have moved it to the AC side of the power supply.

Next crazy cooling video, hack up an old water cooler or fridge to send refrigerant directly to the CPU on a cold plate. Just don't let the Canadian EPA find out...or let Linus find out what you spent on the vacuum pump (those are always great to have!) and Rwhatever they're using now a days.

Ok but seriously, I still think that the root issue is as mentioned above and.....There's no way that CPU was cranking out more than 400W at full load and stock clocks. You're also assuming that whomever you bought the TEC module from wasn't full of shit. If that came from Aliexpress or Alibaba or probably even eBay then those were Chinese watts so the formula to convert from Chinese watts to Standard watts is as follows:

Cw=(.5⋅Sw^2)/4

Where Cw= Chinese watts and Sw= Standard watts. This is a very similar formula used to convert Chinese lumen to Standard lumen when comparing LED's and other lights. Often it's useful to check the spec sheet for the real product they're copying and de-rate it by at least 30% from the original parts lowest figure as most Chinese sellers use the highest rating available for the original and then increase it by 50% to 200%. It's entirely possible that 545W figure is actually a figure derived from a vendor simply assuming that both sides can do the same work at the same time or it's complete and utter made up nonsense. You'd have to actually measure what it's capacity is in the real world as it seems a lot of Chinese vendors live in an alternate universe where the laws of physics are made up and the points don't matter.

I'm gonna put in my 2 cents as I am an enthusiast when it comes to TECs and was a contributor on Overclock.net TEC forms for a long time.

There are so many reasons I can see where this could have been great.

I think where this concept failed was your approach. First you need to determine the load that you want to cool. I usually go for 200W of load. Next you need to find out what temperature difference (between the hot and cold side) you want to achieve; 20 - 30C is my usual go to. Next you want to find a TEC that gives you 200W of cooling at that Temperature difference. Special note, the lower the temperature difference you want to achieve on a TEC, the higher the Qmax. If you want to have a 0C difference, that is the large number that everyone advertises. The 127XX TECs are absolute garbage. If you want good TECs, go with Custom Thermo Electric (here). You can easily find TECs that give you massive Qmaxs, but if you're going by Pmax, or 0C temperature difference between hot and cold side, you're achieving nothing.

People say the sweet spot is 50% power of the TEC, but the sweet spot actually refers to the Max Voltage / 2. If you get a 199XX TEC, you're looking at a max voltage of just under 24 volts. If you run that at 12V you're going to have a ballin' efficient TEC (compared to what you ran in the episode).

I just want to say, when you reach 1000W with that TEC, you killed that TEC and essentially overclocked it. You weren't cooling anything and you were heating up the cold side with the TEC itself, plus the heat from the CPU.

Now, in regard to your cold plate, it was too thin. You want to use the copper cold plate to use the edges of the TEC to cool the CPU, but it was too thin to accomplish that. I would aim for 3/4 to 1cm thick.

You're "Thermostat" was too slow to react and the solid-state relay is very inefficient and generally slower than using MOSFETs. If you want to just run a TEC at 100%, you will never get anything that resembles useful. Let me know if you'd like to learn more as I've spent years on these and I'm very well versed in them.

For extra info, some terminology of TECs:

- Delta: Temperature difference between cold side and hot side.

- Qmax: Amount of heat in Watts that can be moved from the cold side to the hot side at a given delta.

- Pmax: Amount of heat generated and power used by the TEC. Pmax = V x A

- Vmax: Defined maximum amount of voltage put into the TEC.

- Imax: Defined maximum amount of current that can be used by the TEC.

- 127XX: 127 couples at XX Amps (Imax) maximum (Vmax = 15.2V)

- 199XX: 199 couples at XX Amps (Imax) maximum (Vmax = 24V)

- There are more TECs out there, but these are generally the best ones to used in these applications.

Thanks.

PS: This is the peltier you'd wanna use for this project

It has a ~150W Qmax at a 20C temperature difference, and uses ~144W to reach that at 12V.

I have seen a bigger and better TEC (200W at 30C difference), but I need to track down the link for that TEC.

Needs more machining footage.

Also, @AlexTheGreatish, I asked at LTX and you said that the mill was still on a pallet.  Is it on the floor yet?

Resident Mozilla Shill.   Typed on my Ortholinear JJ40 custom keyboard
               __     I am the ASCIIDino.
              / _)
     _.----._/ /      If you can see me you 
    /         /       must put me in your 
 __/ (  | (  |        signature for 24 hours.
/__.-'|_|--|_|        

2 hours ago, EiiiTrone said:

Likely you guys know by now but the solid state relay you used can only switch AC loads. It needs to be at 0V for it to switch. You can get alternative relays that would work in DC applications but for what you wanted you could have moved it to the AC side of the power supply.

Yeah, realized that pretty fast (it was incorrectly labeled in the Amazon webpage).  Switched it around so that the TEC turned the PSU on and off.

35 minutes ago, FezBoy said:

Needs more machining footage.

Also, @AlexTheGreatish, I asked at LTX and you said that the mill was still on a pallet.  Is it on the floor yet?

Yeah it's on the floor now and has a beautiful Kurt vise all trammed in!

42 minutes ago, Krow said:

I'm gonna put in my 2 cents as I am an enthusiast when it comes to TECs and was a contributor on Overclock.net TEC forms for a long time.

There are so many reasons I can see where this could have been great.

I think where this concept failed was your approach. First you need to determine the load that you want to cool. I usually go for 200W of load. Next you need to find out what temperature difference (between the hot and cold side) you want to achieve; 20 - 30C is my usual go to. Next you want to find a TEC that gives you 200W of cooling at that Temperature difference. Special note, the lower the temperature difference you want to achieve on a TEC, the higher the Qmax. If you want to have a 0C difference, that is the large number that everyone advertises. The 127XX TECs are absolute garbage. If you want good TECs, go with Custom Thermo Electric (here). You can easily find TECs that give you massive Qmaxs, but if you're going by Pmax, or 0C temperature difference between hot and cold side, you're achieving nothing.

People say the sweet spot is 50% power of the TEC, but the sweet spot actually refers to the Max Voltage / 2. If you get a 199XX TEC, you're looking at a max voltage of just under 24 volts. If you run that at 12V you're going to have a ballin' efficient TEC (compared to what you ran in the episode).

I just want to say, when you reach 1000W with that TEC, you killed that TEC and essentially overclocked it. You weren't cooling anything and you were heating up the cold side with the TEC itself, plus the heat from the CPU.

Now, in regard to your cold plate, it was too thin. You want to use the copper cold plate to use the edges of the TEC to cool the CPU, but it was too thin to accomplish that. I would aim for 3/4 to 1cm thick.

You're "Thermostat" was too slow to react and the solid-state relay is very inefficient and generally slower than using MOSFETs. If you want to just run a TEC at 100%, you will never get anything that resembles useful. Let me know if you'd like to learn more as I've spent years on these and I'm very well versed in them.

For extra info, some terminology of TECs:

- Delta: Temperature difference between cold side and hot side.

- Qmax: Amount of heat in Watts that can be moved from the cold side to the hot side at a given delta.

- Pmax: Amount of heat generated and power used by the TEC. Pmax = V x A

- Vmax: Defined maximum amount of voltage put into the TEC.

- Imax: Defined maximum amount of current that can be used by the TEC.

- 127XX: 127 couples at XX Amps (Imax) maximum (Vmax = 15.2V)

- 199XX: 199 couples at XX Amps (Imax) maximum (Vmax = 24V)

- There are more TECs out there, but these are generally the best ones to used in these applications.

Thanks.

PS: This is the peltier you'd wanna use for this project

It has a ~150W Qmax at a 20C temperature difference, and uses ~144W to reach that at 12V.

I have seen a bigger and better TEC (200W at 30C difference), but I need to track down the link for that TEC.

At first we were running it 300W and 12V, didn't work at all.  But yeah getting a more efficient TEC might have been able to turn the episode around, in the future will just use a refrigerant based system for chilling.

1 minute ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

Yeah it's on the floor now and has a beautiful Kurt vise all trammed in!

Dope.  Hope to see some content with it soon!

Resident Mozilla Shill.   Typed on my Ortholinear JJ40 custom keyboard
               __     I am the ASCIIDino.
              / _)
     _.----._/ /      If you can see me you 
    /         /       must put me in your 
 __/ (  | (  |        signature for 24 hours.
/__.-'|_|--|_|        

16:51

[...]but it occurred to us that with so much power we might be running into over current protection limits on the PCI-E connectors

You were using an EVGA T2 1600W. It actually does not have any OCP for the PCIe connectors specifically. It's a single rail PSU. Read: EVGA cheaped out, didn't implement multi rail over current protection, and made it a feature by calling it single rail. You wouldn't run into any issues with a non existant protection. So that thing with rewiring the connector so it worked with an EPS connector... Totally pointless :P

:)