Android 10 is here and I like it.

Android 10 is the new name for Android Q - we take a look at the best new features of Android 10, and ruminate on what it means to be an Android. Do you dream of electric sheep? Pff. Who knows?

Android 10 OTA image: https://developers.google.com/android/ota

Buy Android phones:

On Amazon: https://geni.us/T9p12

On Newegg: https://geni.us/xX0aHUK

Still wish I could change the location of the dang search bar on stock Android on my Pixel 3 device >.<*

I don't mind using Nova much but it would just be nice if they let us move it without having to go that route.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 hours ago, poochyena said:

I'm really not looking forward to gesture controls. I like the buttons. I always end up accidentally setting off gesture controls on my current phone and I hate it.

At least there's the option.  Personally I like the gestures but I'm always in favour of keeping as much choice as possible since nothing would be gained by taking it away.  It's funny though, I used to hit the buttons by accident way more often.  I'm also enjoying the extra screen space.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

iOS is 3 versions ahead already, time to step it up. 

soo it's basically a complete iOS ripoff to give it some of the features iOS has had for a while, sometimes years?

ok not entirely i get that, but it borrows heavily from iOS. 

She/Her

21 minutes ago, Twilight said:

soo it's basically a complete iOS ripoff to give it some of the features iOS has had for a while, sometimes years?

ok not entirely i get that, but it borrows heavily from iOS. 

Not the first time either.  I remember when they finally added the little red dots with a number to show how many notifications you have from each app.  As much as I don't like iOS, I can recognize what they've done right and when they've been copied xD  I think there's been a lot of copying back and forth between those two and others over the years.  You don't have to go far to find memes about the reverse either - features in android or android phones that took apple years to catch up to.  It can be sad to see it take so long when it finally happens, and maybe annoying when you see the competitor praising finally having something that you've already had forever, but at the end of the day, more features for everyone is just good, plain and simple.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

18 minutes ago, floofer said:

iOS is 3 versions ahead already, time to step it up. 

12 minutes ago, Twilight said:

Both iOS and Android don't "copy" each other per-say - they just happen to implement different features at different times, based on whatever priority the development teams decide on. Sometimes these features are already available on one OS when implemented on another, so if we really want to go there, technically speaking both iOS and Android "copy" Windows, MacOS, and Linux... but seriously guys, can we not start this war? Thanks.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

5 minutes ago, kirashi said:

Both iOS and Android don't "copy" each other per-say - they just happen to implement different features at different times, based on whatever priority the development teams decide on. Sometimes these features are already available on one OS when implemented on another, so if we really want to go there, technically speaking both iOS and Android "copy" Windows, MacOS, and Linux... but seriously guys, can we not start this war? Thanks.

Companies copy each other all the time. Its nothing new, and does clearly happen. 

Everyone's always so excited and hyped for the next Android-release and here I am, feeling like I just am not understanding something. I mean...what would e.g. Android 10 bring me? Not a single useful thing. Not one. As for non-useful things? I can't muster up any excitement over a slightly adjusted looks or tweaked camera-app or any other thing that I've seen/heard mentioned.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 hour ago, WereCatf said:

Everyone's always so excited and hyped for the next Android-release and here I am, feeling like I just am not understanding something. I mean...what would e.g. Android 10 bring me? Not a single useful thing. Not one. As for non-useful things? I can't muster up any excitement over a slightly adjusted looks or tweaked camera-app or any other thing that I've seen/heard mentioned.

Personally it's just hope for the future.  Due to customizations by the manufacturer on my current phone, it doesn't bring anything that I don't already have, but I don't know what my next phone will be, and what that manufacturer will provide - if anything - so the more that gets baked into the core experience, the better it will be for everyone and for having a good selection.

Most of these are already on MiUI/EMUI

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

LOL the one time he said quick bits was not onna techlinked show

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

I love the idea of relying on a gesture if my device is having trouble responding.

...I use android beam all the time....

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

What about the feature to limit battery charging to a certain percentage to increase longevity? I thought that was a feature, and also coming to iOS 13.

@ 10:45 when Linus makes a reminder on his phone, it activated mine too . So if he wants, I can remind him too just incase he looses his phone or something. I've got him covered, along with a few thousand other probably.

On 9/17/2019 at 9:52 PM, danwat1234 said:

What about the feature to limit battery charging to a certain percentage to increase longevity? I thought that was a feature, and also coming to iOS 13.

It is and it's not. I thought on iOS 13, user could configure it, but that won't be the case. The way Apple designed it is if you charge the phone late in the evening, it'll automatically charge to 80% and then sit at 80% till morning and it'll top it up to 100% for when you usually wake up and unplug it. Probably based on hours, alarms set for that day and past usage. Which makes sense. Most phones fully charge in what, 2 hours? And then they sit at 100% through entire night. That's the worst scenario for battery after totally depleted one. So, for most users it'll be fully seamless and they won't even know battery is being protected and they'll still start the day with 100% battery charge.

• 4 weeks later...

Linus is right about 2025. Android 10 will be available on actually buyable smartphones as late as my replies to LTT videos. Every time I was buying an Android, it was already outdated out of the box and never received major OTA. In December 2018 bought a brand new Samsung running Nougat. Initially there was Oreo update promised, but then cancelled. Oh yeah, promising Oreo update 10 months after Pie release and cancelling an update that would be outdated anyway. Considering other problems such as poor performance, delayed WhatsApp notifications, and no 5GHz WiFi, I told myself "enough" and took a loan to buy iPhone Xʀ. Then I sold a Samsung to my colleague for half the price, his Honor broke and he doesn't like iPhones, so he is happy.

Android sucks and Android 10 won't fix it until it's on all brand new phones in stores which won't happen.