Looking for Laptop (Around $1000)

Creed1

Need help finding a new laptop for computer science. I currently have a MSI Ghost Pro, but at most I can get about an hour of battery life with it and terrible heat issues. 

I'm looking for a ultrabook laptop for around $1000USD that has good battery life and enough performance.

So far I am interested in the new Dell XPS 13, Surface Pro 2 (will probably wait for a refresh), or an HP Envy.

OS: No preference. Most likely will end up using Linux anyways (vm or dual boot).

CPU: i5/i7 --- Which ever is affordable

RAM: 8GB or 16GB? I believe 8GB might be fine for computer science, but I'm not sure about running VMs with 8GB (I'm also a huge multitasker)

Screen: 13.3" or 15". 1080p resolution is fine

GPU: Fine with integrated GPU, no gaming. 

Weight: Preferably an ultrabook style laptop

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Just looking for the best value for my money. 

Tech enthusiast and CS Student

3 minutes ago, Creed1 said:

Need help finding a new laptop for computer science. I currently have a MSI Ghost Pro, but at most I can get about an hour of battery life with it and terrible heat issues. 

I'm looking for a ultrabook laptop for around $1000USD that has good battery life and enough performance.

So far I am interested in the new Dell XPS 13, Surface Pro 2 (will probably wait for a refresh), or an HP Envy.

OS: No preference. Most likely will end up using Linux anyways (vm or dual boot).

CPU: i5/i7 --- Which ever is affordable

RAM: 8GB or 16GB? I believe 8GB might be fine for computer science, but I'm not sure about running VMs with 8GB (I'm also a huge multitasker)

Screen: 13.3" or 15". 1080p resolution is fine

GPU: Fine with integrated GPU, no gaming. 

Weight: Preferably an ultrabook style laptop

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Just looking for the best value for my money. 

With what you want, I would go the MS Surface route.  Their snappy as heck and will suffice for you.  Just many reasons why a Surface is for you including portability with ease and what not and very powerful and will make you happy.  good luck

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

If no gaming, then the only logical route is business class. Lenovo ThinkPad, Dell Latitude or HP EliteBook.

A business-class device will offer VASLTY superior durability and reliability (unlike the breaking Apple keyboards, MacBook flex cables and failing display assembies). In addition, something like the ThinkPad E480 or E490 will have water resistance, shock resistance, dirt, sand and humidity resistance and will be able to withstand a drop without breaking. In contrast, if you drop a MacBook or Surface Laptop - it's certainly going to suffer damage.

Meanwhile, you can do this to a business laptop

Asus' ZenBook line has a wide range of specs to choose from, all at different price points, with other features like touchscreens, etc. for you to choose from, I'd recommend looking at those, you can have thin and light but also pretty powerful at the same time, depending on your preference. 

If you don't mind AMD, you can get a ThinkPad T495 for about $900 on Lenovo's site. FHD display, Ryzen 5 CPU, 8 GB of onboard RAM, and a 512 GB SSD. Just plug in a $40 RAM stick for dual channel and you have a pretty solid performer. Don't try to customize it on the site unless you're willing to wait a while. They take forever to do custom orders and they gouge you on RAM or SSD upgrades. It's faster and cheaper to do that on your own.

If you don't mind something older and prefer Intel, there's an i5-8250U T480 available for $850. Windows 10 Home and only 8 GB of RAM but it has a 512 GB SSD. It has the smaller rear battery too, if that's something you're concerned about. You may have better luck with eBay for the T480.

If you want a more traditional reliable laptop go for Lenovo. If you want something more special and will get more use out of it go surface. Purely because of the fact that you can also use it as a tablet and it might be nice to use it to watch stuff too. Either way a 16gb machine is STRONGLY recommended as it will make the device run smoother when your really multitasking etc... 

Just in case you dont know Installing RAM is the easiest and quickest thing to do with a laptop, 10-15min tops. Theres alot of videos on "how to install ram into a laptop" and whatnot. Oh make sure your device is actually upgradable if you need to do so. 

Cheers.