New YouTube backend update causes troubles to developers

Go to solution Solved by kubo6472,

Youtube rolled back this change moments ago.

Note that this is not officially stated by Youtube, but reported by users and proven on youtube site itself.

Youtube probably somewhere around apple keynote event updated their URL system, now working in JSON.

This broke all apps from youtube-dl through 3rd party youtube clients to youtube video and music download/ripping sites (those that actually just passed the webm link to video file on google) and now uses some authentication methods (based on my IP, timeout and other things being in the URL)

The most notable mentions are as said youtube-dl, whose hotfix has as of writing this already been published, but no tested version - bugs expected -

NewPipe (3rd party youtube client I am personally using!

and onlinevideoconverter.com/ytmp3.cc and others.

It is predicted that this update was intentional on breaking the download sites, instead of just better security for direct video files.

Screenshot from 2019-09-11 20-06-11.png

I dont think original work is allowed here, you need to state a source. (Just like wikipedia)

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

So I cant RIP youtube videos anymore? What about my collection?

I foresee a day where youtube doesn't exist anymore and all the videos I grew up watching will be gone. I want to download entire channels of videos to store them. (Sorry LTT, I think your server isnt enough space for all your videos) all for personal use mind you to keep on my mobile devices or PC. 

Sure its unlikely to happen but theres that possibility.

Plus I often am without Cellular, power or internet.  You cant really watch YouTube with no internet. So local storage is what I'm about.

YouTube has removed adaptive_fmts and url_encoded_fmt_stream_map from the player response, which I expect causes this code to fail. YouTube has moved both of these into playerResponse as streamingData.adaptiveFormats and streamingData.formats, respecitively.

technical info by https://github.com/omarroth

The source will be added to original post now.

5 hours ago, Levent said:

I dont think original work is allowed here, you need to state a source. (Just like wikipedia)

added

5 hours ago, corsairian said:

I foresee a day where youtube doesn't exist anymore and all the videos I grew up watching will be gone. I want to download entire channels of videos to store them. (Sorry LTT, I think your server isnt enough space for all your videos) all for personal use mind you to keep on my mobile devices or PC. 

Plus I often am without Cellular, power or internet.  You cant really watch YouTube with no internet. So local storage is what I'm about.

Probably not going to happen, I think youtube is one of the most profitable projects google has. However, shiss happens, and this is the kind of that that devs need to deal with when relying on youtube. Invidio.us, which I have never heard of before btw. ( ok maybe once) is working just fine.

1 minute ago, kubo6472 said:

Probably not going to happen, I think youtube is one of the most profitable projects google has. However, shiss happens, and this is the kind of that that devs need to deal with when relying on youtube. Invidio.us, which I have never heard of before btw. ( ok maybe once) is working just fine.

yt is in too much trouble rn, next few year they prob gonna be forced to go full kid friendly by the pressure. i'm still waiting for a new replacement like vessel to go up, or our floating & flying lord to save us

3 minutes ago, appleache said:

yt is in too much trouble rn, next few year they prob gonna be forced to go full kid friendly by the pressure. i'm still waiting for a new replacement like vessel to go up, or our floating & flying lord to save us

I think there may be some splitting involved then, like the youtube kids thing. maybe youtube teens, or youtube adults :D

How exactly does this cause trouble for developers? Seems to me it only causes trouble for people looking to steal other peoples work.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I got affected by this (my video player uses youtube-dl) but I don't think this was meant to break 3rd party tools -- it's not done quite often

🙂

29 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

How exactly does this cause trouble for developers? Seems to me it only causes trouble for people looking to steal other peoples work.

All downloading tools need to be updated to handle how YouTube now represents the information they need. Until then they simply won't work.

I don't see how this is stealing someones work. In all likelihood any videos downloaded are only used when offline or when the original has been taken down. In that case the content creator won't miss out on any revenue.

1 hour ago, corsairian said:

I'm with you. I don't download EVERY video, but I download my favorites in case they ever get deleted, and so I have something to watch if the internet goes down or i'm traveling somewhere with no free wifi.

They can't stop us from using screen recording programs though. Its much slower, but thats an option.