Trypophobia - A reason to not buy an iPhone 11

This really has to be the weirdest tech story of the day. Seems some people have a fear of small holes and that fear is being triggered by Apple and their new iPhone 11

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-49660765

People with a fear of small holes have claimed the design of Apple's iPhone 11 Pro is triggering their phobia.

At its unveiling on Tuesday, many found their attention drawn to its "ultra-wide" rear camera, with three high-powered lenses packed closely together.

The lenses sit alongside the handset's torch and "audio zoom" microphone.

And hundreds of smartphone users now claim the new design has triggered their "trypophobia", an aversion to the sight of clusters of small holes.

Before we have even seen the phones in shops there is already talk of class action. Looks like as usual lawyers are looking to coin in their next croc of cack. I just cannot believe hundreds of people are complaining just one day after the launch.

Dr Cole and Prof Wilkins reported testimonies from some people who vomited and others who said they could not go to work for several days.

I am off to the doctors now to see if I can get a couple of months off work with trypophobia

this is kinda hilarious. sucks to be them. But hilarious.

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

Not new though... other phones with multiple cameras were also reported as triggering this effect. I guess it is more noticed in mainstream because this time it is Apple doing it.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

AFAIK, trypophobia is not a "real" phobia. It is something that a lot of people have (me included) but its just a bad feeling - and the new iphone DEFINETELY does not bother me.

If the whole back of the phone had irregular holes, MAYBE people could feel bad looking at it, but still the whole situation is ridiculous.

For ppl that are confused, just google trypophobia in google images that you will see what this is about.

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

1 minute ago, porina said:

Not new though... other phones with multiple cameras were also reported as triggering this effect. I guess it is more noticed in mainstream because this time it is Apple doing it.

Yeah, I know that. While I do feel sorry for people who suffer from any phobia, the bad part of the tale here is the talk of class action. That is just IMO extracting the urine.

...is this satire? I genuinely hope it is, because if this isn't, what the fuck? Fine if many small holes bother you (they look very weird to me), but there's a total of two small circles and three slightly larger circles on the back of the phone.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Lmao this isn't even close to trypophobia. it's all about the irregularity of the holes.

Look up a lotus pod; that's the real shit there.

I might just start a new hobby of gently tapping the iPhones on tables and watching them click/clack out of balance. :P

1 hour ago, TechyBen said:

I might just start a new hobby of gently tapping the iPhones on tables and watching them click/clack out of balance. :P

Joke's on you, I'm getting a case :P

a8338b9.png.b7bcccbc755e6c138f3036825943c374.png

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

1 hour ago, Phill104 said:

This really has to be the weirdest tech story of the day. Seems some people have a fear of small holes and that fear is being triggered by Apple and their new iPhone 11

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-49660765

Before we have even seen the phones in shops there is already talk of class action. Looks like as usual lawyers are looking to coin in their next croc of cack. I just cannot believe hundreds of people are complaining just one day after the launch.

I am off to the doctors now to see if I can get a couple of months off work with trypophobia

Actually we can put someones away with tihs "feature". For example you are getting rob and you showing off your brand new "Iphone 11" to robber and he runs away. Or if you hate someone badly also 20% chance to make them running away. I kinde like it.

2 minutes ago, HomeBoi said:

Then why arent people freaking the shit out over the new cheesegrater pro?

When it's that bad, they just fall over dead. When their bodies are found, nobody understands what caused it, so nobody has complained.

trypophobia became such a fad last year, everyone was talking about how bad their trypophobia was and videos featuring things with small holes in them became so popular (which would be pretty ironic since everyone claimed to have trypophobia)

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

56 minutes ago, HarryNyquist said:

Joke's on you, I'm getting a case :P

Teah. My note 9 has a nice case, and is flush. Even without it, it's a hair's breadth off level, so not a worry... but lately, IMO phones should be sold with a cover/case or with a flush camera. As the case is practically a *required* skin now. I mean, anyone figured out how delicate the machined glass back is on the iPhone now? At least a Samsing/older iPhone was cheap to replace, a shaped bit of glass at most. Now it's unique and probably cost more than a new phone. XD

My wife actually has trypophobia. I'll show her the new iphone later today and see what she thinks...

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

I hate the look of it, but not a fan of iphones anyway. I probably would go as far to say that if this was a design on an android phone, I wouldn't buy it because of that alone... just looks horrible - if it were 3 holes vertically aligned in the centre of the phone I probably wouldn't mind it.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

5 hours ago, HomeBoi said:

Then why arent people freaking the shit out over the new cheesegrater pro?

The concept behind trypophobia is irregular patterns, the new Cheesegrater Pro has enough patterns in how the holes are arranged that it's not as bad nor noticeable to those who suffer from trypophobia, it's like a cheese grater where all the holes are arranged in a pattern.

I think the new iPhone 11 has too few holes to be looked at as a pattern - especially when the flash circle is in the array too - to be considered comfortable for those with trypophobia.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

Ughhh I have trypophobia, but it has to be a lot of holes for me. It's like looking at someone's decaying flesh that has maggots drilling holes inside it.

Why diminish anothers fear because you dont? I don't get it.. I know people who do that shit to me too.. I'm afraid of heights but everyones always "Oh its not that high just go up you'll be fine", Thats not how it works.

It's hip and quirky to have some phobia or shit and everyone is like "oh muh god you're so cool". And the people who actually have phobias are shivering in a corner and are not bragging about it.

2 hours ago, Rainbow Dash said:

Ughhh I have trypophobia, but it has to be a lot of holes for me. It's like looking at someone's decaying flesh that has maggots drilling holes inside it.

Really I find it fascinating. ?

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti