Unsure of what printer to get?

Prokart2000

Hello everyone

I am looking for a printer for uni but loads of them have some great reviews and some awful reviews so I am really stuck.

It just needs to be able to print the documents mainly, but if it could print photos onto photo paper with a decent quality that would be nice too.

My budget is around £50 and id preferably want a printer that you can get cheaper cartridges for.

If you need to know anything else just ask 

Many thanks

Pro

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

Just now, Prokart2000 said:

My budget is around £50 and id preferably want a printer that you can get cheaper cartridges for.

Go on local classifieds and buy a used laser printer.

It'll last you forever and you don't have to buy 50$ ink cartridges after 5 prints just because "cYaN" is out

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

4 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Go on local classifieds and buy a used laser printer.

It'll last you forever and you don't have to buy 50$ ink cartridges after 5 prints just because "cYaN" is out

Thank You

Sorry to be a pain but I am a complete noob when it comes to printing, i'm looking for a one that isn't too bulky and can fit on my uni desk, is there any you would suggest?

I will buy off of Ebay UK most likely, would a laser printer also work with printing photos?

Thanks again

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

7 minutes ago, Prokart2000 said:

Thank You

Sorry to be a pain but I am a complete noob when it comes to printing, i'm looking for a one that isn't too bulky and can fit on my uni desk, is there any you would suggest?

I will buy off of Ebay UK most likely, would a laser printer also work with printing photos?

Thanks again

You can print with photo paper, but within your budget don't expect anything more than black and white 

I have an HL-2270DW for the same reasons, aside from photo printing and it works great

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

4 minutes ago, Slottr said:

You can print with photo paper, but within your budget don't expect anything more than black and white 

I have an HL-2270DW for the same reasons, aside from photo printing and it works great

Ah so colour costs more I see.

Would the print quality be good if i was to print out photos on a colour one or should I just get them printed by a professional company whenever I need them?

Edit: If so i could stretch the budget more

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, Prokart2000 said:

Ah so colour costs more I see.

Would the print quality be good if i was to print out photos on a colour one or should I just get them printed by a professional company whenever I need them?

Edit: If so i could stretch the budget more

Photo printing is cheap, as long as you just need it to print out essays and other papers I would just grab a cheap one such as the unit I mentioned and go print at a store.

1 minute ago, Slottr said:

Photo printing is cheap, as long as you just need it to print out essays and other papers I would just grab a cheap one such as the unit I mentioned and go print at a store.

Yeah, I think I will do that, I don't print photos out that often anyways.

I cannot seem to find any of that model on ebay, would this be good? https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/printers-scanners-and-ink/printers/samsung-xpress-m2026-monochrome-laser-printer-10132965-pdt.html

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Prokart2000 said:

Yeah, I think I will do that, I don't print photos out that often anyways.

I cannot seem to find any of that model on ebay, would this be good? https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/printers-scanners-and-ink/printers/samsung-xpress-m2026-monochrome-laser-printer-10132965-pdt.html

Looks fine to me

Just now, Slottr said:

Looks fine to me

I will have a look for some reviews, I found a cartridge for 20 quid which is 1800 sheets.

Thanks for the help

Spoiler

Never I mean never get one of those cheap cartridge printers where they run out in 2 days then you have to pay 60$. Your best bet is a laser printer they last a real long time. Or a self refill printer but you need to use it frequently or then it will probably dry. I had many printers before and this is my conclusion to the choices 

8 minutes ago, Pauleft said:

Never I mean never get one of those cheap cartridge printers where they run out in 2 days then you have to pay 60$. Your best bet is a laser printer they last a real long time. Or a self refill printer but you need to use it frequently or then it will probably dry. I had many printers before and this is my conclusion to the choices 

After some research i'm thinking of paying a bit more and getting an all in one laser printer like this one https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/printers-scanners-and-ink/printers/brother-dcp1612w-monochrome-all-in-one-wireless-laser-printer-10124890-pdt.html

It seems good from the reviews and the toner is cheap

Spoiler

Sorry to change completely, but would something like HPs instant ink be suitable instead, I came across it while looking and it seems decently priced but I am unsure on it. @Slottr

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, Prokart2000 said:

After some research i'm thinking of paying a bit more and getting an all in one laser printer like this one https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/printers-scanners-and-ink/printers/brother-dcp1612w-monochrome-all-in-one-wireless-laser-printer-10124890-pdt.html

It seems good from the reviews and the toner is cheap

Good choice but never forget to check the specs and dig into the reviews the cheap prices sometimes may mislead you.but good job going with a laser

1 minute ago, Pauleft said:

Good choice but never forget to check the specs and dig into the reviews the cheap prices sometimes may mislead you.but gold job going with a laser

I'm assuming that if it works on windows 8 it will work on 10 as they are very similar? Also, whats your view on hp instant ink? I added another reply about it but forgot to @ you

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Prokart2000 said:

I'm assuming that if it works on windows 8 it will work on 10 as they are very similar? Also, whats your view on hp instant ink? I added another reply about it but forgot to @ you

Ehh I have bad experience with hp and how they market everything but I won't take sides on here. And check the driver's but it should. Just check the driver's online ?

2 minutes ago, Pauleft said:

Ehh I have bad experience with hp and how they market everything but I won't take sides on here. And check the driver's but it should. Just check the driver's online ?

We have it for the family printer but its always been quite iffy with connectivity and printing. And the fact that the printer said it wasn't online on the instant ink website half of the time. I think I should spend more and get the brother, I know it will be a quality printer then.

I checked the driver download page and it said windows 10 so I should be good.

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Prokart2000 said:

We have it for the family printer but its always been quite iffy with connectivity and printing. And the fact that the printer said it wasn't online on the instant ink website half of the time. I think I should spend more and get the brother, I know it will be a quality printer then.

I checked the driver download page and it said windows 10 so I should be good.

Yeah brother is a real good company I have 2 of their laser printers for the whole family and they have been running for 3 years 

1 minute ago, Pauleft said:

Yeah brother is a real good company I have 2 of their laser printers for the whole family and they have been running for 3 years 

Weird place to see them but my doctors uses them and they print loads of prescriptions so they must be good.

Only downside is no colour but oh well you cant win them all lol

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Prokart2000 said:

Weird place to see them but my doctors uses them and they print loads of prescriptions so they must be good.

Only downside is no colour but oh well you cant win them all lol

Yep if you want color then get one of those little shit printers for 50 bucks if you really need color 

Just now, Pauleft said:

Yep if you want color then get one of those little shit printers for 50 bucks if you really need color 

As far as I am aware I don't need any colour printing, the only thing I have thought of is printing off my photos but I will get that done professionally.

Spoiler

Just now, Prokart2000 said:

As far as I am aware I don't need any colour printing, the only thing I have thought of is printing off my photos but I will get that done professionally.

Yep well then you are all set have fun with the printer and never hesitate to return it if you don't like it 

Just now, Pauleft said:

Yep well then you are all set have fun with the printer and never hesitate to return it if you don't like it 

Yeah thats true, once I get it I will set it up right away and see how I like it

Spoiler