Bitcoin Q & A - Ask Me Anything

Question: WIth the heavy load it puts on your GPU, Is mining 24/7 going to degrade or increase/speed up the chance of the death of your GPU? 

Question 2: Is adding an extra card to your system that is not the same model doable? for example I want to mine as well as game so I would let my 6850 mine while I game on my 7950. I hear about a dummy VGA plug going around. What is that and does it relate to this situation?

1: Unfortunately, it does leave a risk of adverse side-effects to our precious GPUs. It is a pretty stressful process. If you want to make sure it's safe, feel free to downclock it a bit and increase the fan speed curve in Afterburner. You should be able to customize the workload it takes as well in your mining software.

2: Absolutely. Even different brands. My setup in this computer is 3 monitors running on my 680 and then I have a 7850 plugged into nothing, mining all day. All it does is create fan noise and since it's not connected to a display, there are no performance drops.

One thing to note (that I haven't been able to fix in my setup) is that I was unable to monitor temp, core clock, fan speed, etc. unless a display was plugged in and I was using it. Afterburner doesn't seem to pick it up otherwise.

1: Unfortunately, it does leave a risk of adverse side-effects to our precious GPUs. It is a pretty stressful process. If you want to make sure it's safe, feel free to downclock it a bit and increase the fan speed curve in Afterburner. You should be able to customize the workload it takes as well in your mining software.

2: Absolutely. Even different brands. My setup in this computer is 3 monitors running on my 680 and then I have a 7850 plugged into nothing, mining all day. All it does is create fan noise and since it's not connected to a display, there are no performance drops.

One thing to note (that I haven't been able to fix in my setup) is that I was unable to monitor temp, core clock, fan speed, etc. unless a display was plugged in and I was using it. Afterburner doesn't seem to pick it up otherwise.

Thank you for the reply. One more question Do you think a 6850 would overload my system? 80+ 600W, 7950, FX 4100 I know it probably will but if so, what would be a good PSU to upgrade to? (brand, wattage)

Across the vast and majestic gulf of time and space, the jimmies rustle softly.

Thank you for the reply. One more question Do you think a 6850 would overload my system? 80+ 600W, 7950, FX 4100 I know it probably will but if so, what would be a good PSU to upgrade to? (brand, wattage)

I do not think that is enough wattage. The 6850 mining would pull just under 300W because it would be a pretty heavy load. The 4100 would pull let's say 100W when you are on your computer and then another 100W for the 7950 idling. Once you start running a game, you are pulling too much power.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139022

That is an example of a great power supply. Awesome price too. If something is "Jonny Guru Recommended" you can ignore anything else you have heard about it. You can check out the reviews here but they have basically the best information on power supplies that you can find. If JonnyGURU likes it, you should too.

In my opinion mining is dead to the typical user. Since the difficulty has nearly doubled, CPU and GPU mining are extremely inefficent. With my current setup I was able to mine roughly 1 bitcoin a week, but now I get like .15 bitcoins a month (1250 mhash). 

If you are considering bitcoin mining, I would say you are too late now. I've been doing this for 2 years now and its just not accessible to the average consumer anymore. ASIC miners are becoming the standard if you want to be remotely profitable. 

In short, don't waste your time mining with gpus and cpus. That way is dead and gone. 

(BTW, if you are mining less than 1000mhash just give up because it will take you almost a month to make $3) 

CPU: 5950x @ 4.5ghz All core OC perm GPU: GTX 3090 RAM: 128gb DDR4 

.15 bitcoin a month with 1250 mhash? This isn't right.

IT was an exaggeration, but lets whip out a bitcoin calculator to see. 

Well its look better than I suggested. 

Type in some number to try it out. I just can't run my rig for 24/7. 

http://www.alloscomp.com/bitcoin/calculator

I might retract my previous statement as it underestimated profitability. With 1250mhash i can make $215 a month at the current levels. Although it is summer so the heat constraints will be prohibitive. 

While I can't discredit what you are saying-- I haven't mined bitcoins in a few weeks-- but not too long ago I was mining btc at like 300Mh/s and could get just under 1btc per month. Not sure if ASICs made it go up that much but wow.

I only mine litecoins now because they are increasing in value and I can mine 2 per day.

Have you tried HWmonitor for getting temps and such?

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Have you tried HWmonitor for getting temps and such?

No I haven't. the funny thing is that it's just a spare card so once I saw Afterburner didn't pick it up, I stopped trying lol. So I shouldn't say I couldn't figure it out. I just didn't care enough.

Well, you wont make a living of bitcoins with gpu mining, but it's still profitable at least (depending on the price per kW). @Travis I'm interested on trying litecoin mining, what pool you're in?

Well, you wont make a living of bitcoins with gpu mining, but it's still profitable at least (depending on the price per kW). @Travis I'm interested on trying litecoin mining, what pool you're in?

I'd do it. Bitcoins are about to become un-minable soon.

http://ltc.kattare.com/gettingstarted.php

how much is one bitcoin worth in USD?

I find http://preev.com to work very well in converting BTC (Bitcoins) to USD. It takes the numbers from MtGox, so it is pretty much always accurate.

How much money do you make off each bitcoin after accounting for the amount it costs for the power needed to mine it?

If i mined all month I would probably make $215 bucks and end up paying like $9-10 for electricity. I just can't stand the heat output. Its makes my house an oven and sounds like a jet engine. 

i did some research when i found out about bit coins a few years ago and came to the conclusion that its not a good idea because there wasn’t much information about what data you are mining. the client was locked down and not open source and where the processing power was going was a mystery, leading me to assume that i was not all above board. i do not like the idea of donating my cpu to decode something that shouldn’t be decoded, could you share some light on this? are bit coin mining still sketchy topic in terms of where this research is going?

All of those sketchy feelings you are having are unfounded. 

I have been mining bitcoins for 2 years and had nothing but benefit. Its not a scam, its a real thing. 

The true question is do you have the hardware to make it worth mining? I doubt it, as ASIC miners become the new standard. Its hardly worth investing in now. You are to late to the part my friend, this gravy train left a year ago when the bitcoin was only worth $5, and I could mine 3 -4 a day. 

Ive tried to set this up (litecoin) downloaded the applicable application. Joined a pool yet it will not connect. I get error 403 and 404 codes.

I am using my username and password and the server address.

For Instance

Username x

Password  x

Server: http://litecoinpool.de/

Port: 8337

any thoughts?

The password has to be exact, and sometimes you need to download the SDK from AMD. 

Moreover, I would recommend slush's pool instead of the one you have chosen. It has better payouts than most, and its the easiest one to work with. 

http://mining.bitcoin.cz/

Oh woops, I don't know anything about lightcoins. I wouldn't even bother with those. 

Ive tried to set this up (litecoin) downloaded the applicable application. Joined a pool yet it will not connect. I get error 403 and 404 codes.

For Instance

Username x

Password  x

Server: http://litecoinpool.de/

any thoughts?

Don't you actually need to use a "worker" name that you register on the pool site?

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

i did some research when i found out about bit coins a few years ago and came to the conclusion that its not a good idea because there wasn’t much information about what data you are mining. the client was locked down and not open source and where the processing power was going was a mystery, leading me to assume that i was not all above board. i do not like the idea of donating my cpu to decode something that shouldn’t be decoded, could you share some light on this? are bit coin mining still sketchy topic in terms of where this research is going?

If you read my sticky, you will understand where the processing power goes. It's not a scam or anything.

For Instance

Username x

Password  x

Server: http://litecoinpool.de/

any thoughts?

What mining software are you using? Reaper?

what is the best way to get paypal out of BTC?

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

Is there a way to use all my PCs at once mining the same? Is there a count of how many are still available to mine? Once one has been mined will it ever be put back in the mine?

Has anyone here (linus forums) successfully mined any and if so how long did it take and did you use more electricity than the value?

do you know how to optimize Nvidia GPU's to perform better as I have a 680 and only get 130 hash rate. It is very slow and not profitable.

Desktop:  MSi GTX 680 Lightning - MSi Mpower Z77- i7 3770k - Asus Xonar DGX  - 16Gb Ares Ram - GX 750w PSU

Laptop: MSi GE 60 - GTX 765m - i74700MQ - 8gb ram

Is there a way to use all my PCs at once mining the same? Is there a count of how many are still available to mine? Once one has been mined will it ever be put back in the mine?

Has anyone here (linus forums) successfully mined any and if so how long did it take and did you use more electricity than the value?

Not having a lot of experience at this - but you could make your own pool? But, doubt that help much. Most pools have a LOT more members. :)

do you know how to optimize Nvidia GPU's to perform better as I have a 680 and only get 130 hash rate. It is very slow and not profitable.

Not a lot you can do for this. The way mining works, it is totally optimized for AMD cards. NVidia, your right, it isn't even worth it....