Can my Seasonic M12II 620w PSU handle Aorus 2070super

Debz

Hi guys, I am planning to upgrade my GPU from MSI GTX 1060 gaming x 6gb to Gigabyte RTX 2070 super Aorus. I saw in their website that the recommended PSU is 650w. I was wondering, do I need to upgrade my PSU also? Thanks guys.

Of course!

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

3 minutes ago, Constantin said:

Of course!

Hi there, Can you explain? Thanks

Well you have a good brand CPU that can stand heavier loads the 30W  difference is quite nothing.

What is your CPU ect.... ?

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

Try PCPartPicker and  see the power consumption  of your system.

Or there are several site that will give you the info, Power supply versus power need.

47 minutes ago, Constantin said:

Well you have a good brand CPU that can stand heavier loads the 30W  difference is quite nothing.

What is your CPU ect.... ?

CPU is ryzen 5 3600 

36 minutes ago, Zmax said:

Try PCPartPicker and  see the power consumption  of your system.

Or there are several site that will give you the info, Power supply versus power need.

Ok will do. Thanks

8 minutes ago, Debz said:

CPU is ryzen 5 3600 

What your describing is a system that uses around 400 watts.  You are good to go with room to spare. 

4 minutes ago, FALC0N said:

What your describing is a system that uses around 400 watts.  You are good to go with room to spare. 

Yeah, I checked on pcpartpicker and it says i will only consumes 439 watt all of the components.

ssssssss.png

6 hours ago, Debz said:

Hi guys, I am planning to upgrade my GPU from MSI GTX 1060 gaming x 6gb to Gigabyte RTX 2070 super Aorus. I saw in their website that the recommended PSU is 650w. I was wondering, do I need to upgrade my PSU also? Thanks guys.

No. Get a new PSU. Your existing PSU is crap.

A good 550W supply is more than adequate.

Something like a Corsair RMx is ideal

6 hours ago, Debz said:

o I need to upgrade my PSU also?

Obviously, you're putting your 2070 Super at a gigantic risk of burning by using an old outdated junk of a power supply.

With the current pricing on the market the 550W RMx is indeed a very solid bet.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

6 hours ago, Constantin said:

Of course!

how so? the m12ii doesn't meet c6/c7 sleep states, lacks uvp and ocp and you want to put a 2070 on that?

10 hours ago, Debz said:

Yeah, I checked on pcpartpicker and it says i will only consumes 439 watt all of the components.

ssssssss.png

I probably should have warned you that there is an active group of Seasonic M12II haters on this board. I have no idea how this started, but most of them just repeat the same three talking points over and over and have no idea whether its good or not. The M12II a very good budget PSU and very reliable.  Seasonics reputation for reliability is in no small part based on this units long term performance. It has anchored their low to mid range offerings for 15 years.

@Debz you can take FALC0N's word for it or you can read about it yourself, up to you. Personally I would not take the gamble of putting any hardware I cared about on such a low end PSU.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

20 hours ago, Debz said:

Wattage is enough, adequate. I'd only change it (for now...) if your current PSU is more than 5-6years old. Otherwise, you can stick with it.

Later you can always upgrade to something nicer, more contemporary. You won't be needing 650w though. 550-600 will perfectly suffice.

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )

13 hours ago, FALC0N said:

Seasonics reputation for reliability

that still doesn't mean an old design should be used

please, read a bit of atx spec, you'll see how little it meets for the c6/c7 spec, let alone the modern ones

14 hours ago, FALC0N said:

I probably should have warned you that there is an active group of Seasonic M12II haters on this board. I have no idea how this started, but most of them just repeat the same three talking points over and over and have no idea whether its good or not. The M12II a very good budget PSU and very reliable.  Seasonics reputation for reliability is in no small part based on this units long term performance. It has anchored their low to mid range offerings for 15 years.

So are you going to provide a source or just do a fanboy screech? Reee, these people hate this unit because its actually trash, how dare they insult my senpai Seasonic.

https://www.computerbase.de/2017-07/cooler-master-cougar-xfx-zalman-netzteil-test/

That is a review of the XFX XT Bronze, based on the very Seasonic GB Bronze platform the M12II used, and the original S12 used back in 2009. 

Most notably in that review is that cross loads put the voltage out of specification (i.e the every day load), and lacks OTP (and doesn't have any pseudo implementation of it).

It doesn't take a genius to understand something that is a decade old is not a good fit for modern systems, like how you wouldn't match a GTX 280 with a Ryzen 5, but I might retract that comment due to this circumstance.

On 9/8/2019 at 2:30 AM, Matsozetex said:

So are you going to provide a source or just do a fanboy screech? Reee, these people hate this unit because its actually trash, how dare they insult my senpai Seasonic.

https://www.computerbase.de/2017-07/cooler-master-cougar-xfx-zalman-netzteil-test/

That is a review of the XFX XT Bronze, based on the very Seasonic GB Bronze platform the M12II used, and the original S12 used back in 2009. 

Most notably in that review is that cross loads put the voltage out of specification (i.e the every day load), and lacks OTP (and doesn't have any pseudo implementation of it).

It doesn't take a genius to understand something that is a decade old is not a good fit for modern systems, like how you wouldn't match a GTX 280 with a Ryzen 5, but I might retract that comment due to this circumstance.

To answer your first question, the S12II has been the AK47 or Chevy small block of the PSU world for the past 15 years. It's one of the most reviewed PSU's of all-time, with at least dozen pro reviews that I can think off the top of my head. It boasted an impressive reputation that played a big role in Seasonics own reputation for quality, and that reputation is well deserved.   I'm not accustomed to having to explain how good it is to people.  But I promise I will just as shocked the next time someone questions the reliability and performance of the AK47 or the Chevy small block.

By the way, that XFX XT isn't an S12II.  A dozen pro reviews over 15 years, remember?   I know exactly what an S12II performance curve looks like.  That one isn't even close.  In fact, its grotesquely worse than any Seasonic model I have seen tested. Even the brown box OEM models do MUCH better than that.  Either the XT isn't based on an S12II at all, XFX made significant changes from the reference design, or they just ended up with a defective unit.  The actual S12II 520 produces 3% regulation under a max 12v cross load.  The OP's unit, the M12II 620 also produces 3% regulation at max 12v crossload.  At the OP's projected load of 430w, the M12II 620 does 2% regulation on a 12v crossload. This data comes from full spectrum crossload tests for the 430, the 520, and 620 in my archives, all taken from professional reviews.  And that alone should give you an idea how much attention I pay to such matters.

This is why you do your own leg work instead just believing what you read on the internet..  People have agendas and biases and get caught up in group think.  You can let them do the thinking for you, or you can verify the data yourself.  If more people on here chose to verify the data themselves, I suspect the views on the S12II would be quite different.

Make no mistake, the S12II is an older design and there are much better PSU's out there.  I'm particularly fond of the Corsair RMx series.  But other unit being BETTER is not the same as this one being bad.  Its rugged and reliable and still makes a excellent entry level PSU if the price is right.

24 minutes ago, FALC0N said:

By the way, that XFX XT isn't an S12II.

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page625.htm

25 minutes ago, FALC0N said:

The actual S12II 520 produces 3% regulation under a max 12v cross load.  The OP's unit, the M12II 620 also produces 3% regulation at max 12v crossload.

I would like to see a source for that. 

23 minutes ago, hello_there_123 said:
49 minutes ago, FALC0N said:

By the way, that XFX XT isn't an S12II.

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page625.htm

There are some problems with you linking that RHTX page, but XFX XT's situation is confusing enough, so it's alright.

First of all, the RHTX page lists the first, original revision of XFX XT series. Meanwhile, @Matsozetex linked a review of the second revision, so that's what we're currently talking about and what Falc0n is trying to dispute - not the first revision listed at RHTX.

Second of all, the RHTX page says the first revision is Eco Plus series, which is indeed a different thing than S12II Bronze, so that would confirm @FALC0N's claim that it "isn't an S12II".

Now third of all... that RHTX page is actually incorrect (like in several other places). The first revision of XFX XT is not a Seasonic Eco Plus. In fact, it isn't even Seasonic at all. It's manufactured by Shenzhen Rui Sheng Yuan Technology, using a very undersized design shared with Hydance CT series, and some very lame errors on the label.

I wrote an article 3.5 years ago where I detailed all the complicated things going on with that series and explained most of everything there is to know (I wasn't allowed to share some other details): http://www.orionpsudb.com/news/the-mystery-of-xfx-budget-xt-line-solved-oem-and-platform-discovered

Finally, since we're actually talking about XFX XT Second Revision, not the first edition: the current XFX XT *is* an Seasonic S12II Bronze.

So to summarize: RHTX wrong. XFX XT 1st edition was Shenzhen RSY, platform Hydance CT. XFX XT 2nd edition (reviewed) is Seasonic, platform S12II Bronze.

3 minutes ago, OrionFOTL said:

First of all, the RHTX page lists the first, original revision of XFX XT series. Meanwhile, @Matsozetex linked a review of the second revision, so that's what we're currently talking about and what Falc0n is trying to dispute - not the first revision listed at RHTX.

So the computerbase.de's XFX psu is still the s12ii rebranded?

8 minutes ago, hello_there_123 said:

So the computerbase.de's XFX psu is still the s12ii rebranded?

Yes. Same platform, exact same components of the platform (same switchers, same diodes, same supervisors, etc - nothing changed), same fan, even the casing and cables are the same. It's exactly the same thing except the "XFX XT" branding on the side.

8 hours ago, FALC0N said:

-Snip-

Seasonic GB Bronze:

image.png.91dbf3fd42720276241d19aa128806d1.png

XFX XT:

87-630.113413187.jpg

Please, before you continue, observe the above.

On 9/9/2019 at 1:47 PM, OrionFOTL said:

Finally, since we're actually talking about XFX XT Second Revision, not the first edition: the current XFX XT *is* an Seasonic S12II Bronze.

Thanks for the clarification, Orion.  I thought he was talking about revision 1 this whole time, which explains the significant performance disparities I was seeing.   I guess that was all a waste of time.  We weren't even talking about the same PSU.

13 minutes ago, FALC0N said:

Thanks for the clarification, Orion.  I thought he was talking about revision 1 this whole time, which explains the significant performance disparities I was seeing.   I guess that was all a waste of time.  We weren't even talking about the same PSU.

Well, the XFX XT in the review that Matsozetex linked was the same PSU as the s12/M12II. So you are talking about the same PSU as him...