apple autonomous car spotted

spartaman64

While the purpose and future of Apple’s autonomous car project is uncertain, the company clearly still has an interest in the technology. What appears to be an Apple self-driving car has been spotted, with an interesting new sensor array

apple_new.jpg

Apple’s self-driving cars have so far used a mix of sensors, which the company has said includes LiDAR, radar, and cameras.

LiDAR is similar to radar but uses laser pulses. A lot of autonomous cars have used LiDAR as their primary means of reading the road, as it provides the on-board computers with a highly-detailed 3D map of the car’s surroundings. This provides centimeter resolution over distances of up to 100 meters. Google cars can detect a cyclist hand signal, and it’s been reported that Waymo’s cars can even tell which direction pedestrians are facing so that their likely movements can be predicted.

However, LiDAR is very expensive. Apple has reportedly been working on its own LiDAR array, as well as talking to suppliers about the possibility of developing units that are “cheaper, smaller, and more easily mass produced.”

The array is a neater setup than the original. With the sensors embedded in this way, it’s harder to see exactly what’s in the array. However, there are no obvious LiDAR devices, and it does look possible that this is an all-camera setup. It would seem to make sense for Apple to experiment with a camera-only configuration. It is, though, also possible that there are hidden LiDAR units next to the corner cameras.

source: https://9to5mac.com/2019/09/06/apple-autonomous-car/

https://thelastdriverlicenseholder.com/2019/09/05/new-pictures-of-apples-autonomous-car/

I've not heard of apple working on a driverless car but it doesn't surprise me either. I personally believe that lidar would be required to reach full self driving for now and disagree with elon musk and maybe apple here since there are so many scenarios that computer vision just cant handle. Google being able to read cyclist hand signals is one of them. Also driverless cars are going to inevitably find themselves in a scenario where a motorcyclist is lane splitting or  they need to squeeze by a tight spot and I don't think computer vision would handle that very well. Also the main criticism of lidar is that its expensive but solid state lidar is being developed and when lidar goes into mass production economy of scale will also lower the price.

Run for your windows !
or the car supports windows..
idk.. jokes..

According to intel none of that matters anyway, go puppy linux !

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

I heard the vehicle is easily discolored by blue jeans.

sighs... why is it that every single tech company must board the autonomous car deal?

does it really look like the future? I get it that cars sells a lot and they generate money but this is starting to get just silly by now.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

2 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

An Apple product without accessories is not a real Apple product. It must have an accessory that is not optional to the user.

Apple cloth line will do a come back.

apple-hipster-clothing-collection-1.jpg

Just now, GoodBytes said:

An Apple product without accessories is not a real Apple product. It must have an accessory that is not optional to the user.

Brakes 433398161684299777.png?v=1

Does the car have a 3.5mm jack or am I going to have to buy some kind of Apple branded adapter?

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

will the AI be as good as siri is compared to the competition?

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Those panes where the cameras are in that unit up top are pretty big. When they go to integrate them into the car they're going to have a camera bump sticking into the front windshield. Wait till Samsung release a car without the front facing camera hump. 

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

4 minutes ago, dtaflorida said:

Those panes where the cameras are in that unit up top are pretty big. When they go to integrate them into the car they're going to have a camera bump sticking into the front windshield. Wait till Samsung release a car without the front facing camera hump. 

You mean punch hole?

That's a Lexus. I was expecting an Apple car.

OP needs to change the title!

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

So, when’s the Cydia exploit to jailbreak an Apple car? 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Apple isn't going to make a car. But it wouldn't shock me if they partner with Ford, GM, or some other manufacturer to power the software of all their cars going forward. They hired Tesla's head of powertrains away from them, so this isn't just going to be UX stuff, Apple's software will likely become responsible for the entirety of a car's systems if they get their way. 

Will they release a firmware update that makes the battery range shit and car drive slow?

Will it bend if an overweight person sits inside it?

Will people be charged the price of a new car just to repair it?

Will they have "mechanic geniuses" that will claim you need new wheels when you go in for the car not even starting?

Will Louis Rossman open up a new branch of his business?

Will you sit here for this segway to our sponsor, Tunnel B-

rip )':

6 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

Apple is developing a kit to go on existing cars because not even they have the balls to try to build a car as a new company. They have the money to do it but not the force of will or investor support.

2 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Well, at least they're testing their shit in Lexuses.

Lexi?

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

8 hours ago, Princess Luna said:

sighs... why is it that every single tech company must board the autonomous car deal?

does it really look like the future? I get it that cars sells a lot and they generate money but this is starting to get just silly by now.

because every single precious minute spent in a car could be used spending time texting your friends and doing shit on your social media!

sure maybe it's safer but like I don't really like the fact that the car would have to determine ethics like what I believe Harvard or w/e demonstrated is who do you save in a certain collision where either pedestrians or the driver will be mortally injured. It's not something I really want the car to determine.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

8 hours ago, Den-Fi said:

Don't drive it on tarmac or you might mark it. 

9 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

And there are no spots on it at all.   

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Apple won't ever sell a driverless car. They are developing this to deploy their own driverless Uber-like service at some point in the future.

-kp

10 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

So, when’s the Cydia exploit to jailbreak an Apple car? 

Just drive past a specially crafted road sign and it's unlocked with spyware installed.