Understanding Cooling/Budget Shopping

Loveandpower

@WoodenMarker

Are there any  fans you would suggest  even if it was just a singular fan?  ( I will get a $20 mail in rebate with my graphics card anyway so might as well use it ) 

Okay so side panels = intake 

Top = Exhaust

Back panel =  Exhaust as well? 

Front panel =  Intake

I'd go with 2x PW2's or a NF-P12. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/M6vZxr/be-quiet-pure-wings-2-120-870-cfm-120mm-fan-bl039

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/VNBTwP/noctua-nf-p12-redux-1700-pwm-708-cfm-120mm-fan-nf-p12-redux-1700-pwm

As mentioned, side panel intake and rear exhaust. Then, top exhaust if you have extra fans. Front can be intake but it probably wouldn't make much if any noticeable difference in performance. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2019 at 9:04 PM, WoodenMarker said:

I'd go with 2x PW2's or a NF-P12. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/M6vZxr/be-quiet-pure-wings-2-120-870-cfm-120mm-fan-bl039

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/VNBTwP/noctua-nf-p12-redux-1700-pwm-708-cfm-120mm-fan-nf-p12-redux-1700-pwm

As mentioned, side panel intake and rear exhaust. Then, top exhaust if you have extra fans. Front can be intake but it probably wouldn't make much if any noticeable difference in performance. 

Just wanted to give an update!

I just got done (finally) installing the cpu cooler. I ended up going with the Cooler Master Evo 212. I did have to put my case fan at the top but that's perfectly okay with me. 

Here are my new results temperature wise ( with just the browser open. ) 

You wouldn't happen to know what the "temp3" is by any chance? I would like to get that lower possibly with a case fan if it's needed. 

Something I have noticed is that the cpu fan isn't spinning at least it wasn't when my case was open. Is it because the cpu isn't getting hot enough I assume? 

I guess it is time for me to start looking for a card then? Still interested in a RX 550 or possibly a RX 560 if the price is right. I want to stay under $100 if at all possible. Would prefer a reputable company of course. 

I want to say a super big thank you to @WoodenMarker you have helped me so much. 

One notable issue and I still don't know 100% what is happening. But if I try to connect my case fans now to the fan header on my motherboard ( not the cpu fan header ) it will power on for a second then turn off. I don't know if something is just "grounded" wrong or if there is a bad pin or what. not a huge issue as my PSU is more than powerful to take the load for the fans without the fan controller ( which is what I assume all the header does? ) 

newspeedtest.png

5 hours ago, Loveandpower said:

I ended up going with the Cooler Master Evo 212.

You wouldn't happen to know what the "temp3" is by any chance? I would like to get that lower possibly with a case fan if it's needed. 

Something I have noticed is that the cpu fan isn't spinning at least it wasn't when my case was open. Is it because the cpu isn't getting hot enough I assume? 

One notable issue and I still don't know 100% what is happening. But if I try to connect my case fans now to the fan header on my motherboard ( not the cpu fan header ) it will power on for a second then turn off. I don't know if something is just "grounded" wrong or if there is a bad pin or what. not a huge issue as my PSU is more than powerful to take the load for the fans without the fan controller ( which is what I assume all the header does? ) 

I guess it is time for me to start looking for a card then? Still interested in a RX 550 or possibly a RX 560 if the price is right. I want to stay under $100 if at all possible. Would prefer a reputable company of course. 

So the Hyper 212 Evo fit? That cooler is 158mm tall. 

I'm not sure what Temp3 is. I'd recommend using HWMonitor instead of SpeedFan for temps. Also, idle temps don't really matter. Look at load temps instead. 

Which fan header did you plug the cpu fan into? If the signal is too low, it won't be enough to start the fan. Raise the fan speed a bit. 

The power for the fans connected to the motherboard is supplied from the 24pin. 

The 550 isn't worth looking at and I'd recommend stretching for at least a 570.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

7 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

So the Hyper 212 Evo fit? That cooler is 158mm tall. 

I'm not sure what Temp3 is. I'd recommend using HWMonitor instead of SpeedFan for temps. Also, idle temps don't really matter. Look at load temps instead. 

Which fan header did you plug the cpu fan into? If the signal is too low, it won't be enough to start the fan. Raise the fan speed a bit. 

The power for the fans connected to the motherboard is supplied from the 24pin. 

The 550 isn't worth looking at and I'd recommend stretching for at least a 570.

Unless I can snag a 570 for under  $125 new from a reputable place with some amazing deal not really interested(has to include tax). Please keep in mind I am not interested in 1080P, max graphics, etc. I am visually impaired so lots of my gameplay is at 800x600 for easier viewing anyway. A 550 can easily get 1080P at 30FPS for GTA V and ESO would be even better FPS. These are the two games I play primarily. 

The Evo cooler did indeed fit inside and the side panel does close however it didn't leave room for a case fan which I sort of speculated from the start but it was worth it from what I have seen. I played a game to heavy lead and saw that the Temp 3 went up to like 75-80 degrees. Possibly might be something I need to look into. I will download that other software you mentioned and report back later. 

The CPU fan is plugged into the cpu fan header. I was referring to the case fan header didn't operate for me. It would turn on the PC for a second then turn off like right after. I am only speculating here but possibly some kind of bent pin or a grounding issue. Either way not a huge loss I guess. 

How do I go about "raising the fan signal"  for the cooler master fan? 

Edit: okay I downloaded HWMonitor and began running heavy loads. The TMPN2 does go about to 80 degrees on that as well. From a quick google search it appears TMPN2 is somehow related to motherboard thermal sensor or something? How would I go about lowering that? 

2 hours ago, Loveandpower said:

Unless I can snag a 570 for under  $125 new from a reputable place with some amazing deal not really interested(has to include tax). Please keep in mind I am not interested in 1080P, max graphics, etc. I am visually impaired so lots of my gameplay is at 800x600 for easier viewing anyway. A 550 can easily get 1080P at 30FPS for GTA V and ESO would be even better FPS. These are the two games I play primarily. 

The CPU fan is plugged into the cpu fan header. I was referring to the case fan header didn't operate for me. It would turn on the PC for a second then turn off like right after. I am only speculating here but possibly some kind of bent pin or a grounding issue. Either way not a huge loss I guess. 

How do I go about "raising the fan signal"  for the cooler master fan? 

Edit: okay I downloaded HWMonitor and began running heavy loads. The TMPN2 does go about to 80 degrees on that as well. From a quick google search it appears TMPN2 is somehow related to motherboard thermal sensor or something? How would I go about lowering that? 

In that case, get a 560. You might not need it right now but games are only going to get more demanding and it's better to have it and not need it than vice-versa.

Check motherboard fan settings. Raise the minimum fan speed until it starts up.

80c is already fine. 

@WoodenMarker

So I've done a lot of research on benchmarks and that sort of thing. I've come to the conclusion that having more VRAm may be a better variable for my specific needs versus actual  FPS. That being said I ordered this card earlier today. 

The 560  one that was same price is only a  2GB and I feel like the 4GB 550 is just more useful at the moment. As one of the games I play is GTA V and as I understand it VRAM is used more and more the longer you play in one sitting. So this is useful as it will have extra VRAM to  latch on to. 

Hopefully I made a decent decision here. Again, thank you to everybody who has assisted me. 

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/xfx-amd-radeon-rx-550-core-edition-4gb-gddr5-pci-express-3-0-graphics-card-black/5982203.p?skuId=5982203

My adventure is nearly to an end for sure. Another motivating decision for myself is that I can use any reward certificates from Bestbuy to purchase 1-2 case fans. So if I could get some suggestions for inexpensive but decent fans would be nice. 

@WoodenMarker

Um okay so major major  issue. The RX 550 is apparently UEFI bios based. The GA-78LMT-uSB3 motherboard of mine I mentioned in an earlier post apparently doesn't support UEFI. Rookie mistake on my part I guess. 

I guess I am back to step #2, what kind of graphic card can you suggest that uses legacy bios/award bios versus UEFI bios. 

20 hours ago, Loveandpower said:

Um okay so major major  issue. The RX 550 is apparently UEFI bios based. The GA-78LMT-uSB3 motherboard of mine I mentioned in an earlier post apparently doesn't support UEFI. Rookie mistake on my part I guess. 
I guess I am back to step #2, what kind of graphic card can you suggest that uses legacy bios/award bios versus UEFI bios. 

Is the bios up to date?

I'd personally look for a used gtx 970. Craigslist, eBay, or r/hardwareswap are all good options. 

9 minutes ago, Loveandpower said:

GPU has been resolved. Just need to get a couple of case fans if you don't mind pointing me in the right direction. 

I already did?