Google settles for 170 million USD for violating children's privacy

Don't be evil

Google has agreed to pay 170 million dollars to settle a lawsuit regarding their illegal collection and sale of children's data. 

They knowingly collected the data and allowed advertisers to specifically target those young children even though the Childrens Online Privacy Protection Act doesn't allow them to collect data on anyone under 13 years of age. 

Google and YouTube knowingly and illegally monitored, tracked, and served targeted ads to young children just to keep advertising dollars rolling in," New York Attorney General Letitia James said in a statement following the announcement. "These companies put children at risk and abused their power, which is why we are imposing major reforms to their practices and making them pay one of the largest settlements for a privacy matter in U.S. history."

YouTube marketed itself to Mattel and Hasbro as the "leader" in reaching children ages 6-11, the ruling found. Yet, in one instance, the company told an advertising company that it did not have users younger than 13 on its platform and therefore channels on its platform did not need to comply with COPPA.

Source : https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/04/youtube-to-pay-170-million-in-ftc-child-privacy-settlement.html

Attorney General James really shouldn't be touting this like a major victory just because it's "one of the largest settlements for a privacy matter in U.S. history".  $170M is chump change for such companies, they only start to pay attention once you start fining them billions.  They're probably laughing about how cheaply they got away with the whole thing.

Alphabet's shares went up 0.4% after the announcement, so that fine probably paid for itself.

1 hour ago, Captain Chaos said:

These companies put children at risk and abused their power

Can someone explain this line? I would think serving kids kid related ads would make them safer, rather than serving them random ads.

$170M is chump change for such companies

The costs add up. Don't act like this is the only lawsuit they have had to pay up.

Alphabet's shares went up 0.4% after the announcement

The entire stock market is up today. the Dow Jones Industrial Average is actually up higher than alphabet, so they performed below average today.

2 hours ago, poochyena said:

Can someone explain this line? I would think serving kids kid related ads would make them safer, rather than serving them random ads..

I think it's more that kids is easier to influence than other people, and therefore people don't want ads aimed at them.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

2 hours ago, poochyena said:

Can someone explain this line? I would think serving kids kid related ads would make them safer, rather than serving them random ads.

Childrens Online Privacy Protection Act prevents companies like Google from collecting any data from their account.

it's supposed to protect children from the dangers of a company collecting their data (e.g their habbits, hobbies, fav shows, etc, all VERY valuable to advertisers) to improve their services or to sell to others.

the COPPA does not allow this and google knowing broke it. kids were being served relevant ads. 

here in Australia the monetary settlement wouldn't sway our government, simply put our version of the COPPA is far more restrictive and the punshiment would of been worse than then a $170 million fine...

Just now, Mihle said:

I think it's more that kids is easier to influence than other people, and therefore people don't want ads aimed at them.

a child mind is extremely easy to influence. i know a dude who has a child that has a British accent, she got it from the various shows she had been watching online and on TV, keep in mind, shes 5.

there are various articles explaining why this happens and you should go and read them if you have the time.

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

30 minutes ago, Mihle said:

But they see ads either way, better to influence them to want to buy some childs toy than alcohol or guns.

20 minutes ago, Salv8 (sam) said:

it's supposed to protect children from the dangers of a company collecting their data

What is dangerous about collecting their data

Now watch as every kids channel get demonitized.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

8 hours ago, poochyena said:

let me repeat myself:

9 hours ago, Salv8 (sam) said:

(e.g their habbits, hobbies, fav shows, etc, all VERY valuable to advertisers)

i'll provide an extreme example to get my point across cause after this time i'm not explaining it word by word again.

lets imagine if ISIS made an ad to recruit kids into their organisation. (and before you say anything, yes i know this wouldn't be possible, it's called an extreme example for a reason)

so they use analytics to get their ads served to children, they can see what children are currently interested in, what their lives are like, where the live etc.

using this information they can create ads specifically designed for that target demographic.

now apart from the ISIS thing this is commonplace in the advertising business. 

the problem is kids cant tell this is advertising and take it in as everything else they also learn.

a worse case scenario is that it changes the kid so much that he/she is not like themselves anymore and may be scared for life!

the fact is this, kids are stupid, we need to control what the actual fuck they see, what happens to them in their early years changes them for life...

if advertisers had this power they wouldn't need to advertise to older people anymore because they would of already brain washed the younger gen into thinking that they should only use their products and no-one else's.

being a parent is hard (can't speak from personal experience, i just know it's hard) if you had no control what what your child saw they may become a monster in your eyes, something you never want to associate with. think of every parent that had a child that killed or did something so wrong that they could never look at them the same.

thats a parents worse nightmare, and right now, we need to ensure that this is enforced otherwise this will become reality. a horrible reality...

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

Not enough, needs to be more. Needs to be billions.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

12 hours ago, poochyena said:

But they see ads either way, better to influence them to want to buy some childs toy than alcohol or guns.

In my country, alcohol ads is Illegal too. Also there is no gun ads, I know it's different in US tho.

I think the people that made the laws against ads towards children think that it's harder for a child to understand ads aimed at adults or less likely to be influenced by them. If that's true or false in reality, I don't know, but that's probably what they think.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

do this act thing to everyone else to.

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

Wow Cool, Spare change settlement from google, Lol that must've hurt them.

Details separate people.

15 hours ago, poochyena said:

Your comment about $170mil not being chump change is true, but you forgot that Google most likely made many times that selling the data.  Net profit.

You either don't have kids or are deep in back woods Alabama where your kids don't have access to anything.  Companies prey on children, using social media and various other outlets to influence.  Hot new toys, fads, trends, even cigarettes and smoking are all highly profitable and can become a wildfire of profits all based on kids wanting it and a cascade of peer pressure, etc.

Basically, children shouldn't be manipulated and influenced, They don't have the ability to make rational decisions for the most part, and are protected by law against almost all things.  Of course we ignore those laws all the time, but they're there to protect them nonetheless.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

yes i know this wouldn't be possible

so.... then whats the problem. If the only bad thing you can imagine isn't possible, then it sounds safe.

the fact is this, kids are stupid, we need to control what the actual fuck they see

thats a great idea. Maybe we should track them to make sure they are only served relevant kid friendly ads.

if advertisers had this power they wouldn't need to advertise to older people anymore because they would of already brain washed the younger gen into thinking that they should only use their products and no-one else's.

This is the stupidest thing I ever heard. Advertising isn't brain washing, its advertising. Its to get people to know your product exists. Kids don't have money, so they are the worst demographic to advertise to, and they aren't going to pay attention to adult centric product ads since its not relevant to them.

3 hours ago, jstudrawa said:

but you forgot that Google most likely made many times that selling the data.  Net profit.

I didn't

3 hours ago, jstudrawa said:

Companies prey on children, using social media and various other outlets to influence.

Children don't have money.

4 minutes ago, poochyena said:

so.... then whats the problem. If the only bad thing you can imagine isn't possible, then it sounds safe.

thats a great idea. Maybe we should track them to make sure they are only served relevant kid friendly ads.

This is the stupidest thing I ever heard. Advertising isn't brain washing, its advertising. Its to get people to know your product exists. Kids don't have money, so they are the worst demographic to advertise to, and they aren't going to pay attention to adult centric product ads since its not relevant to them.

I didn't

Children don't have money.

You failed to mention it then in your argument, disingenuous.

Children don't have money?  Yes, you don't have kids.  When you do, come back and edit all your statements.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

13 minutes ago, jstudrawa said:

You failed to mention it then in your argument, disingenuous.

Because I thought its obvious that one of the richest company in the world can afford a single ~$100 million fine

15 minutes ago, jstudrawa said:

Children don't have money?

correct.

Hmmm....

Didn't seem as big as of deal with Nickelodeon and Cartoon network targeting kids in ads or cereal boxes with "exclusives" if little Jimmy fills out a form with name, DOB and address and drops it in the mailbox. Which mom has to sift through the offers later.

Kids have always been heavily targeted because how easy they are to manipulate. Take toy and game ads away an now watch them get ads for Busch and Trojan.

I will continue to say this:

Instead of fines against corporations, they deserve a permanent loss of patents and or copyrights (not all, but a number that is relatively justified in comparison with the crime/wrong-doing committed). Always beginning with whatever was most recently entered into government record.

Apple loses a litigation over their extremely anti-consumer practices? The punishment is that they lose the patent to the most recent device they patented. To be sold to the highest bidder, that cannot be in ANY WAY affiliated with Apple. And cannot license that patent back to Apple, etc. Meaning they cannot give an employee millions or billions of dollars to bid on the patent, and then turn around and "sell" it back to them for a few stock options or whatever.

Get that going, and watch these companies pull a complete fucking 180.

Imagine the stock hit if Apple lost the patent/copyright to the most recent iPhone. Imagine if EA lost the licensing to Star Wars, or hell, imagine if Disney lost ownership of Star Wars, over their licensing of the product to EA.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

what a fucking joke, google has the money to just pay off the government and it won't impact them at all

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

13 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

I will continue to say this:

Instead of fines against corporations, they deserve a permanent loss of patents and or copyrights (not all, but a number that is relatively justified in comparison with the crime/wrong-doing committed). Always beginning with whatever was most recently entered into government record.

Apple loses a litigation over their extremely anti-consumer practices? The punishment is that they lose the patent to the most recent device they patented. To be sold to the highest bidder, that cannot be in ANY WAY affiliated with Apple. And cannot license that patent back to Apple, etc. Meaning they cannot give an employee millions or billions of dollars to bid on the patent, and then turn around and "sell" it back to them for a few stock options or whatever.

Get that going, and watch these companies pull a complete fucking 180.

Imagine the stock hit if Apple lost the patent/copyright to the most recent iPhone. Imagine if EA lost the licensing to Star Wars, or hell, imagine if Disney lost ownership of Star Wars, over their licensing of the product to EA.

imagine they did that to a employee like me. Who would sell it to the highest bidder. (Not apple)

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!